Monday, March 4, 2013

Donor Selection - Done!

I decided on my donor today.

After picking out a sperm donor 3 years ago, I thought this would be easy.

It was not.

When I chose my sperm donor, I first narrowed it down to donors with coloring similar to mine, then focused mainly on their profiles.  I though the childhood picture of my donor was cute but it was his profile that sold me.  When looking at donors this time, though, my primary focus was on their pictures.

This weekend, with the help of my sister and my friend Jennie, I narrowed the choices down to two, and sent in my selection.  Choice A had one picture - she was a cute little girl with blonde hair and her smile looked like mine.  Her grades were ok, she didn't have much interesting to say, but her picture was cute.  Choice B had absolutely adorable pictures, with a chin shaped like Finn's.  I liked her profile, she sounded fun - and a little stubborn.

This morning I heard from the donor coordinator, and I asked her which donor looked more like me (they have adult pictures to look at).  She said Choice A has a smile and eyes like mine, but her face shape is different, as is her nose.  Choice B was from a different site (RBA has several different donor sites), and so she'd have to contact that donor coordinator to find out about her.  In the meantime, she very sweetly reminded me that genetics are weird, and even with my own eggs, there's no guarantee that my child would look anything like me.  Which of course I know, but it would be nice if people could look at us and know we were related, especially since Finn looks so  much like me.

I'd pretty much decided on Choice A when I got another email from my coordinator.  She'd talked with the other coordinator, who said that there was some resemblance between me and Donor B, but when she looked at my adult picture, she immediately thought of Donor C.

So of course I immediately logged in to the donor bank (at work) and looked her up.  Her pictures were cute, but I didn't feel that instant connection that I did with the other two donors.  And then I read her profile. I loved it. I love what she said about why she decided to be a donor, and what she'd like the potential recipients to know.  I loved that reading was her favorite activity as a child and that The Boxcar Children were her favorite books.  I love that reading is still one of her favorite activities, and how she describes herself as compassionate, honest, sensible and loving.

That's when I realized that all I knew about Donor A was that she had decent grades and wanted to go on a cruise to the Caribbean.  And I ruled her out, from first place to last, right then, in between seeing patients.  I looked at Donor B's profile again, and I really liked it, too.  She likes to scuba dive and watch movies, she liked silly books as a child, and she describes herself as independent and resourceful.

I looked at their vital states.  Donor B is 5'3 and 150 pounds.  Donor C is 5'7 and 115 pounds.  (While I'm 5'4, and just about 150 pounds.)  They were both proven donors.

I was torn.  I texted Jennie, and luckily she was free to look with me.  She liked Donor C, too, but also liked Donors A and B.  So I thought more about their vital stats.  And I reread their profiles.  And I agonized some more.  Jennie chimed in and told me I should go with Donor C. She really liked her profile, too.

And so, I decided on Donor C.  I didn't feel a connection with her picture at first, but she is adorable.  She's taller and thinner (which, less face it, is a big deal).  The donor coordinator thinks she looks like me.  She loves to read.  I took a deep breath and made it official; I faxed in my donor confirmation forms before lunch.

And now I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse.  Did I make the right decision?  Most people fall in love (or sleep around) as their way of choosing 50% of their child's genetic make-up.  I'd already bucked that trend by throwing a party to help me choose that first 50%, and now I'm responsible for choosing the other 50%, too.  I hope I made the right choice!  I think I did, but would one of the other two have been better?  What if I don't get pregnant?  What will I do then?

I keep looking at her pictures, and they're really growing on me. I can see myself in her face, and I can see Finn, too.  And I keep reminding myself of the advice I got when I was looking at donor sperm, and that I now share with others: "You will love any child you get, no matter who the donors are."  I know that's true.  And I think that my child will someday appreciate that I decided on her (or his) donor because of who she is, and not just what she looks like.

Now I just have to arrange to get my last two vials of Finn's donor shipped to Atlanta, and then I'm all ready for May!  Holy cow, I can't believe I'm really going to do this.

27 comments:


  1. FWIW, both my donors looked like me in terms of basic coloring...and a remarkable resemblance to LG's baby photos. And then there's blond haired, blue-eyed Tiny Boy :)

    In the end, the donor that helps you become a mom again is the right one. One hurdle down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was initally trying to be selective about my egg donor. I loved my first donor, she looked like me - same face shape and smile. But after the first dud cycle with her crappy 22 years old eggs, I was running out of time and I could care less about looks/grades etc. Just wanted any female with a clean health history and "Proven". You are correct that you will love whatever baby you have, regardless of donor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a big deal! I would have chosen C, too. I'm glad you had people to help and bounce thoughts off of. Fingers crossed that she's the one to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember much about any of my donors there are so frigging many of them. I do recall that I decided on all of them by first picking ones that matched my colouring too and then eliminated based on stuff like smoking, previous success (although the donor I picked was unproven), what they wrote on their essays and profiles. It was very low-tech for a techy; piece of scrap paper and a pencil, check marks, circles, and lines crossing some off.

    The egg donor I have most of my embroys from I bypassed on my first egg donor round and then really liked her on my second time around (can't remember why). There was a picture of her as a teen too and I really wanted to hug her so it was a done deal at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on making your choice! Sounds like you went through a good process around choosing. Personality comes through in genetics and sounds like C had the personality you were most drawn to... and that's cool the donor coordinator thought she looked like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picking a donor is such a difficult process. Glad you made a decision. I agree, you will love any child you get!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!! I remember choosing my donors. And then it ended up that I didn't get to choose where my babies came from, their moms chose me. :) I think that it's prudent to start with similar appearances as that is what other people will see and ask about. But I agree that you will love your child no matter what her or his genetics is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Another step down

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on getting one step closer! No looking back, sounds like you made the right choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Congrats on taking that big step. Donor C sounds like an excellent choice.

    When I picked a sperm donor, I narrowed the choices down and then agonized over a few words in each profile. Then I noticed the extended info about the donors' relatives. In many cases, they seemed so different! There were artistic, free-spirited donors whose ancestors were all accountants and engineers, and vice-versa. Their looks varied a lot, too. At that point, I had to laugh, throw up my hands, and let instinct make the final choice.

    It sounds like both your head and heart (and friends!) were involved here, so you've done everything possible to make a good decision. Now best of luck with the TTC part!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay my children are both adopted. Non of their birth parents ressemble me or any one in my family in the slightest. Both kids look like me - not really; I can't see it at all. Confused? On a regular basis we get told how child A looks so much like me. Child B is such a great blend of DH and I. Child A is the splitting image of my mother etc. etc. etc. From people who know the kids are addopted and from people who have no idea. The eye sees what it wants to and generally people expect children to look like their parents so that's what they see. I can see that DS has my cheeks and DD has DH's eyes. I can see that you can just tell my two are siblings even though they aren't biologically related at all. In the end it doesn't matter you all will be a wonderful family who will find your similarities in looks and likes because you are a family not based on how you became one. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, so exciting. I can understand the regret concerns, it is a lot to think about! I'm sure you picked the best one, just like you did for Finn's sperm donor. It all somehow works out in the end. May is coming so soon, I'm so excited for your new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is hard enough to pick out a sperm donor, but I never thought about trying to find a egg donor. One of my donor requirements was that I had to feel like I would want to hang out with him socially. I even ruled out one donor after hearing his annoying voice! Glad you found someone that fits, I'm sure it will end up a good match!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!

    I always have that remorse you describe after making a choice of something important (even trivial things too sometimes - it sounds like you made a good choice though. Hope she get's you pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whatever you pick, you will have the perfectly imperfect child that is meant for you. Congratulations on taking another big step!

    Are the eggs already harvested or does the donor have to do the first half of an IVF cycle? I'm guessing the latter. Wow. A LOT harder for a woman to donate than a guy, eh?

    So excited for you! What's the timing looking like?

    ReplyDelete
  16. So exciting!!! It sounds like you made the right choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on choosing a donor! Girl, I cannot imagine!!!!!!!! I had such a difficult time choosing a sperm donor, I can't even fathom trying to pick both.

    Someone said something to me about if I had such a tough time choosing between the last 3 donors, then I really couldn't go wrong no matter which I chose. That made sense. So, I hope it brings you comfort as well. I had buyers remorse too, especially now that I'm 12dpo and testing negative, I'm thinking perhaps I should've chosen a donor with pregnancies already reported.

    Seriously though, she sounds lovely and I'm crossing everything for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear donor C,
    May you bring Shannon and Finn a wonderful blessing and new addition to their loving family.
    Love,
    Caring blog reader

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donor C sounds like a great choice! Congratulations on taking this next big step in your journey to expanding your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on such a big step. Thinking good thoughts for you as May approaches

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a tough decision! like some others have said, it is helpful to remember that your child could end up totally different from the donor, just like Finn could've ended up totally different from you (and still could, although not in appearance). Good luck moving to the next step - I hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  22. For what it's worth, I found myself rooting for Donor C as I was reading your post, hoping you picked her in the end. I don't know why - it wasn't anything bad about Donor B, I think I just really liked what you said about Donor C. And I totally would have picked her. I'm SURE you made the right decision, and Finn's younger sib will be the right one for him, and for you. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. yay for choosing! I agree with your advice in the end, whoever your child may be, from whatever donor, this will be THE child meant for you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooh, don't you just love it when we make progress! love it, i'm so happy for you, nothing but happiness ahead :-)

    ReplyDelete