Sunday, March 24, 2013

Home

Helping Nanny M with grocery shopping
Friday night I walked off the shuttle bus and into the airport with just my purse and my overnight bag.  As I walked through the doors I marveled at how much easier it was to do this without pushing a stroller while carrying an overloaded backpack, a car seat and dragging a huge suitcase behind me.  I breezed through security and it all felt so familiar: the routine, the noise, the anticipation, all so much like the many other trips I've taken over the years.  I remembered how much I loved this part of my life and for a few minutes my life with Finn seemed like a dream. I miss this - the freedom, the excitement of a trip on my own.  And for a moment, I could almost make myself believe that I'd just imagined having a baby.

And then Nanny M called on FaceTime, and I got to talk to Finn over a margarita and a salad, and reality was restored.  Finn hasn't quite figured out FaceTime, but he did like making faces at me, and giving me kisses.

The flight was delayed and long, but otherwise uneventful; it was after midnight eastern time before I was in bed.  I was expecting a long, deep sleep in my quiet hotel room, but I tossed and turned all night.  I've realized that I do this most nights at home, too, anticipating Finn will be coming to bed with me.  But that's an issue for another day.  I slept horribly until - unfortunately - right before it was time for me to get up. I heard noise in the hallway, and thinking it was around 4 am, thought to look at the clock to know if it was worth trying to go back to sleep.  And it was 7:47.  The conference started at 8.  Somehow I showered and made it downstairs, got breakfast and was seated in the lecture hall by 8:10.  The conference was very well done, and I had no trouble paying attention, and that left me little time to miss Finn.  Nanny M did send me a few pictures at naptime, which made the day a little easier, too.  She assured me that Finn was fine without me, though he did keep asking for Mommy.  The conference was over at 4, and I made it back to the airport in time to get dinner and then was on a plane back home.

The plane bringing me home couldn't fly fast enough, and seemed like it took twice as long to get home as it did to get there.  As I sat on the shuttle bus taking me to my car, I had the realization that this homecoming was so different from all my return trips in the past.  Getting home was always a melancholy experience for me.  A fun trip was behind me, and all I had waiting at home for me was my two sweet, but quiet cats.  It was always on the shuttle bus that I'd start to feel sad and very alone. But this time I had Finn waiting at home for me. I already knew this, but this trip reminded me that while I do miss traveling, and I do miss my alone time, being a mommy more than makes up for the things I've given up.

Finn was sound asleep when I got home, but he came to bed around 3am (while I waited not so patiently, but I'm still hoping he'll eventually sleep through the night in his own bed, so I didn't want to bring him to bed with me before he was ready).  He grinned from ear to ear when he realized it was me in the bed, and then demanded I go get the pacifier he'd left in his bed, sending me off with a cheery "Bye!"  When I came back to bed, he curled up next to me, said, "Snuggle Mommy."  And we both went to sleep.

(Unfortunately, tonight's bedtime wasn't as easy, but again - that's an issue for another day.)


11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very sweet homecoming!

    Every time I leave B at home with a sitter for the evening I also get this strange sensation that I just imagined having him. Weird, huh?

    I remember once riding the shuttle to the airport coming home from an out of state dance event and all of my friends texting their spouses and children that they were on their way...and I realized I had nobody waiting for me and nobody to call or text. It was a very sobering moment and one of the thousands that led me to being an SMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great, great post. I've been there. That rush a freedom, but then it fades..you start to miss them...and suddenly you going home really matters like it never has before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I had a mini-homecoming of my own today (first day away from the babies). I loved the smiling faces that were waiting for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your description fit exactly how I feel about traveling too... but so much more eloquently than I could have done!

    Can I ask a weird question? How do you sleep alone in your bed with Finn? My little girl who just turned 2 rolls around like crazy, and I am terrified to sleep alone with her in my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bumpers under the sheets and mattress pad that keeps him from rolling out, so I'm not worried about him falling out of the bed. And once he's in bed with me, he is usually pretty still, just sleeps cuddled next to me. :) We've coslept since he was an infant, so that probably helps.
      http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bumpers-Portable-Child-Safety/dp/B003KFCV6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364252775&sr=8-1&keywords=bed+bumpers+for+toddlers

      Delete
  5. Must have been a great cuddle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! It's nice to get away on your own but it's the sweet homecomings that make it awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big baby steps all around. So glad the cuddling was quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful homecoming. Glad the trip went well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing like those sweet little arms reaching for mommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny there are times when I want a full day to myself, and then I can't sleep when she's not in the house. Glad you had a good trip and great homecoming.

    ReplyDelete