![]() |
| Finn loved visiting the model homes |
Immediately I started to think about my plans to move next year. I had already decided I wanted to move when baby #2 comes; I'd like a bigger house with a real backyard and garage, and in an area of town with less congestion and traffic. I knew that renting again meant another potential move (or two) over the next few years, so the thought of moving didn't fill me with joy, but it was definitely going to be needed. But when I got this deposit in my bank account, I realized that I would have enough money to pay for a down payment on a house next year - I would actually be able to buy a house instead of renting one. I did some calculations, and it looks like I could buy a house that we could be comfortable in for the next 10 years (or more) with a mortgage payment not much more than my current rent, especially if I move just across the border to a different state, with much lower taxes. And then when the market improves enough that I can finally sell my condo, I'll be able to save money for college and maybe even pay for some fun vacations, too.
It took more than a week for me to even consider the thought that I could instead use that money to try an IVF cycle with my own eggs! And as soon as the idea occurred to me, I dismissed it. The benefit of possibly having another baby with my own eggs just wasn't worth the probable loss of the chance to move. If I had any question that going to DE was the right decision, this put that to rest.
This weekend my parents and I looked at some model homes. I found one neighborhood that's a new planned community, right on the river, with trails and a kayak launch and beautiful homes. It's just out of my budget, though, and is in a horrible school district, which is disappointing, but it was fun to visit. I found another community that's just being built, with a few floor plans that are exactly what I have in mind. The community is a pretty average suburb, but the houses are lovely.
Of course, it's another year before I'm thinking of moving - but you know, I like to plan. The planning is half the fun!













Congratulations, how exciting and empowering that must feel to know you can get a house. 2013/14 will be an exciting time for you, that is for sure!!
ReplyDeleteThat's great news!
ReplyDeleteMy little guy has had a lot of fun looking at houses recently too!! That is great news @ having a down payment when you are ready to move!!! Happy house hunting in the meantime!!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting - it's never too early to start planning something as big as buying a house. It's great that you are looking already and refining the ideas of what you want and where. Interesting too that having the money available has confirmed to you that the DE route is the right one. I feel a good year coming on!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you're feeling so good about going the DE route. And how exciting to be thinking about buying a house! One of the things I need to do before even *thinking* about T42 is move. I actually love looking at houses... it's getting my current place ready to sell thats daunting. Good luck finding the perfect place, and enjoy the process!
ReplyDeleteExciting.. in just a years time you could have baby and new home!! Happy Easter to you and Finn!
ReplyDeleteIt's good to have a plan, and options. I've heard people say you need three things in life - something to do, something to love, and something to look forward to. It looks like right now you've got all three!
ReplyDeleteVery exciting!!!
ReplyDeleteFinn looks right at home there, and downright handsome :)
Planning is half the fun! It took us 3 years of planning to finally buy a house together (we were in my town house until then) and those 3 years were fun - and got us into a great house for us that we would not have considered when we started the process. Enjoy the ride!
ReplyDeleteYay for unexpected large sums of money! And how cool that you can buy a new house without having to sell the old one at the same time (the prospect of balancing that piece terrifies me).
ReplyDeleteWell you know, since I happen to live in the state you're looking at I'm all for this future move! Plus gas is cheaper too!
ReplyDeleteI keep holding out in winning the lottery. Then I would for sure do another IVF cycle. House hunting is exciting and i can only imagine how stressful it is with little ones.
ReplyDeleteCan I ask how you know that it's a horrible school district? My school is an inner city school and on paper it doesn't look so good - poor marks in standardized exams but it's a great school.
Plans sound good! Yay!
ReplyDeleteOh, if you want to read that DE essay of mine, just shoot me an email (gwinne at yahoo)
So fun to get an unexpected windfall. I am also beginning to look at houses. I am in a similar situation with my current condo and thinking of renting it and then renting another home until I can figure out where I want to and can live in long term with regard to schools and space. I definitely don't want to end up with another house that I want/need to get out of.
ReplyDeleteI'm a planner too, and an unexpected pile of cash would definitely have me thinking about how to use it for the future! So exciting... and even more cool that it gave you the closure to know that DE really is the right way for you to go this time!
ReplyDelete