Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sleep Training

always wakes up happy
Two weekends ago, Finn and I converted his crib to a toddler bed.  (There's nothing that will slow a project down like a toddler intent on helping.)

This was at least 6 months before I'd originally thought I'd even consider making the change, but I'd been thinking about it a lot the past few weeks.  Bedtime has been taking even longer than usual lately - Finn just can't get comfortable in my lap, but really wants to be rocked to sleep.  If I put him in his crib before he was fully asleep, he'd wake up and cry like he lost his best friend, and want me to pick him up.  But an hour of rocking to sleep every night just wasn't working, either.  So it was time to change things up.  The only thing I could think of was changing him to a toddler bed.

Helping Mommy
Saturday night (a week ago) was our first night in the toddler bed, and it was a typical night.  Rock to sleep, then in the bed.  He woke up in the middle of the night and cried for me to come get him (which of course I always do).  Sunday night we had dinner with my friend Ali, and he feel asleep on the way home, as planned. Then the cold air woke him up when I got him out of the car. I rocked him for a minute, then put him in the bed, and he woke up instantly.  After an hour of rocking, he was still awake.  And so I put him in his bed and told him it was time to sleep.  He cried for a few minutes, but I was right there, sitting next to his bed, so he finally stopped crying.  He didn't fall asleep though, and would periodically ask me to rock him.  I held firm in refusing, and ended up falling asleep on the floor while waiting for him to fall asleep.  I woke up after 11:30, and he was finally asleep.  A three hour bedtime wasn't the best way to start our toddler bed experience.

Giving Mickey pre-nap kisses
First nap in the big boy bed
The second night was better.  I rocked him for 15 minutes, and then put him in the bed.  He cried for a few minutes, then turned over and fell asleep within 10 minutes.  Every night since then has been fairly similar.  He likes to ask me to lie down with him - I put my head down on the bed for a few minutes - and sometimes takes a while to actually fall asleep.  But it has cut down the the average time it takes him to fall asleep, and I can see how I can now start to gradually move away from the bed while he's falling asleep, to the point that one day I might be able to put him down and *gasp* actually leave the room.

It took him 3 nights to figure out that he didn't have to wait for me to come get him when he woke up, and another night after that to realize that he didn't have to cry about it, either.  Now I usually wake up as he comes padding into my room, and once woke up to the sound of his breathing as he stared at me over the edge of the bed.  He usually falls asleep as soon as I pick him up, and it's much easier for me to fall back to sleep since I don't have to get out of bed myself.  Friday and Saturday night he didn't come to bed with me until after 5am!

Daylight saving time definitely threw a wrench into our sleep training.  It took an hour for him to fall asleep on Sunday night, last night Nanny M rocked him to sleep (I worked late) and tonight I rocked him to sleep again, too.  I'm hoping he adjusts to the new time quickly, and we can get back on track.

I think we've finally found something that will get him on a sleep regimen we can both live with.  And while we're working on it, at least he always wakes up happy.

16 comments:

  1. That first picture of Finn is priceless! SR is moving to a toddler bed shortly. I'm not converting her crib because it will be used. Hope Finn adjusts quickly. My big fear is she'll come to my bedside at night and startle me awake. But I think I've decided not to gate her room like I decided not to cover her light switch when she found that. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Finn adjusts to the time change and you get into a good sleep routine soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to make this switch soon and I'm not looking forward to it! From the horror stories I've heard, Finn did GREAT!

    DST messed us up too. We're still undoing the mess that happened over the weekend. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lucky too that my babies always wake up happy (which helps me be a better morning person - not my strong suit). Even after a bedtime like tonight which resulted in hysterics and took 2 hours. I hope that you recoup from daylight savings time quickly. I was lucky, it gave me two mornings of getting to sleep in (well sort of, they had a 4:30 a.m. wake-up both of those mornings too).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the lucky boat that Elena ways wakes up happy too. At least in the mornings, not so much from naps. DST is kicking our ass & I am very bitter since we'd finally got ourselves into a nice rhythm of good bedtimes & sleep & now it's gone to shit :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job Finn! Getting to be such a big boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Finn! Love all these pics and the happy baby boy. Fingers crossed the DST madness stops soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, good luck! Ours was 3 1/2 until she got a bed. The doctor told us to wait until she climbed out of the crib, and she never did. I never sat next to the bed, but I'd sit in the rocker. We've been lucky. Our bedtime routine has always been 1-3 books, turning on the zillions of nightlights, turning on the music and leaving. Homework is where I'm more patient.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was very lucky L wanted out of the crib and asked to go in a big girl bed. We have a routine of bath, story and sleeptime. She does come to my room every now and again, or she will ask to be put to sleep in my bed. I will usually move her back to her room once she falls asleep. When she comes in the middle of the night I'm too tired to say no. To help with the bed time fight I use a timer. She gets to set it, and she has to go to bed when it rings. It works most of the time without a fight. I'm not so thrilled about DST either, I wish they'd leave the damn clock alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't daylight saving a b*tch?! Good for you for making the switch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a nice routine and a nice, gradual transition. We definitely reached a point where we were fine with J coming in our bed, but we'd ask him please not to wake us up when he did(and with time, please don't ask us to get you a drink when you can get it yourself, don't wake us up when you need to pee, etc). It is nice to get a full night's sleep that way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww Shannon those pics are just gorgeous! I need to work on getting Tate's room done, so I can move him downstairs. You've given me inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! Sounds like the perfect, gentle solution to rocking him to sleep for an hour or more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely agree--DST is a big wrench thrown into sleep training!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous, adorable pics! And I'm so amazed at how well sleep training seems to be going for you and Finn. I need to post about sleep issues, but I'm too freakin' exhausted to think straight! Jordyn's sleep has gone to total sh!t lately, when she used to sleep 9-11 hours/night consistently. Ugh. But good for you and Finn to have made such a smooth transition. I'm inspired to try to figure out something that will work for us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How was Finn as a baby? Were you able to put him down and leave the room then? I started doing that with Felix a couple weeks ago and it's gone really well. Would be awesome if it lasts into toddlerhood.

    ReplyDelete