| My new lucky socks |
Last night I (finally) did a little research on estradiol levels and Femara, and found some very reassuring information. Bear with me for a little science talk. Femara is an aromatase inhibitor, and works to prevent estradiol production. When estradiol levels fall, the pituitary is stimulated by GnRH to make more FSH, which then stimulates the growth of follicles. So estradiol levels are suppressed to get more FSH, which makes it sound like estradiol levels would be expected to be low in an Femara cycle. I found lots of anectdotal evidence to support this, then found a study that confirms it.
The study was designed to look at women who were undergoing egg retrieval before starting chemo for breast cancer. The study had the women treated with Femara and then a gonadotropin (injectables) compared to women treated with just gonadotropins alone. The end results were similar fertilization rates and number of embryos obtained, but significantly lower estradiol levels in the Femara group: mean +/- sd 483.4 +/- 278.9 vs. 1464.6 +/- 644.9 pg/ml; P < 0.001.
So we're talking estradiol levels of roughly 480 in the Femara group vs 1460 in the non-Femara group with very similar outcomes in an IVF cycle. That, plus the fact that my estradiol was 250 the cycle with Finn makes me feel MUCH better about my chances this cycle. I just hope the timing was right - I was a little late with the trigger shot thanks to trying to get Finn to sleep...my good CM and easy IUI make me think the timing was fine, but of course I have to have something to worry about.
We celebrated by meeting my sister and her boys at a local farm for some pumpkin picking before lunch. We picked out the perfect pumpkins in the pumpkin field, then went for a hayride and saw some pigs, chickens and horses. The boys had fun - and Finn really enjoyed spending time with his cousins.
And now the two week wait begins again!















Fingers crossed for you
ReplyDeleteGood luck! That sure sounds like a lot of sperm (especially to someone like me who deals with MFI - HA!)! Cute photos too!
ReplyDeleteGood Luck!!!
ReplyDeleteI awoke this morning and found myself thinking it must be somewhere close to your "Lucky socks" outing. All fingers crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteInteresting about the Femara...never happened to me, as far as I know (but then again, my RE only tests E2 when injectables are involved).
ReplyDeleteWishing you only the best!
Two's a charm!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck ShanVan!! Keep us updated!!
ReplyDeleteLove the lucky socks :)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great time was had at the farm, and what a cute set of pumpkins the cousins make!
Fingers crossed!! Hope your lucky socks work their magic = ) They are very cool!!!
ReplyDeleteWishing you lots of sticky baby dust! Love that you get a photo. I was just thinking how I could whip out my phone with a full bladder in the very high up stirrups (the giving birth stirrups) and the full set of surgery lights on me for a Frozen Embryo Transfer - don't expect to see this photo :) Wishing you a very fast 2ww.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!! Sounds like all went well, so hopefully this will be the one!
ReplyDeletei love that photo of you and Finn! maybe the best one i've seen so far!
ReplyDeletegood luck and i love the socks!
I love the socks and Finn's halloween t-shirt. Good luck this cycle.
ReplyDeleteCrossing my fingers.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for you! Love the photo of you & Finn!
ReplyDeleteBest baby wishes!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the TWW!
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of you and Finn!
Shannon- So- I am only 2 days before you! If I remember right- your first IUI (Finn) worked. You are my inspiriation, as my first IUI was Saturday. I had to use a GYN- not an RE- so my E2 levels weren't monitored- but reading your post made me laugh b/c- my doc told me my CM was very fertile- which surprised her since I was on clomid- and that the catheter slipped right in- so for me too- I think my timing was pretty darn good. I know i had only 2 mature follies, but---- I am trying to be positive - and reminding myself that your first IUI worked, so therefore- mine could possibly to! :) So- let us endure the 2ww together.
ReplyDeleteAnn
Love the socks & pictures! I have so much respect & admiration for you!! Fingers and toes crossed!
ReplyDeleteGood Luck!! Have my fingers crossed for you. Love those pics at the pumpkin patch. Despite his sleeping issues, he's still adorable!!
ReplyDeleteKath
Good luck, hope your 2ww flies by! LOVE the photo of you and Finn- he is looking SO much like you!
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great two week wait!! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGOoooooo swimmers! I've been the silent reader lately so I"m sorry Ive been failing at commenting on your posts lately but I'm here! I'm here! And I'm hoping this is your cycle, I love the optimism. And I LOVE LOVE what a handsome boy Finn is these days!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes! I love the term PUPO. I hadn't even heard back in the day when I was inseminated but I thought of myself this way during the 2WW.
ReplyDeleteHere's hoping all goes well!
Hooray for being PUPO! And for a speedy 2 week wait!
ReplyDeleteShannon! I read this at 4 a.m. on my iPad, but I can't comment on some sites using the iPad, so I had to hold my thoughts until now.
ReplyDeleteWhooooohoooooo! I'm so excited for you. I really hope and pray that you are preggers.
And how adorable is Finn! He's getting to be a big boy.
xoxo, Jenny