Thursday, September 8, 2011

Still Waiting

Waking up from post-MRI nap
Finn was a champ with his MRI yesterday.  They called me back to recovery around 9am, and we were home and getting into bed for a post MRI nap by 10am.  He was happy and cheerful the entire rest of the day, which made my recovery a whole lot easier!  We're still waiting to hear back from the expert at CHOP, and I haven't heard anything about the MRI, so I'm guessing that means it was ok.  We weren't really expecting to see much more than it being a little smaller after the surgery, so no news means that was the case.

Tonight I had Nanny M stay late and I went out to dinner at a really expensive restaurant that I didn't have to pay for and had a wonderful glass of red wine - my first since I tried red wine to induce labor back in May. Which means that was my second glass of wine in 14 months.  I probably shouldn't have had it, or should have drank it faster so there'd be the requisite 2 hours between wine intake and nursing (instead of just an hour from when I finished it), but I didn't.  I figure, I did everything right during pregnancy and my baby still got cancer - one glass of wine probably isn't going to hurt anything, right?

Dinner was actually a drug rep talk, but it was a round table discussion, which meant that after we did the business of talking about the drug, we were able to socialize.  It was all women with young children (including the woman who first gave me the idea of Finn as a name) so we had a really nice time.  It was my first dinner out without Finn since he was born, and while I missed him terribly, it was nice to go out and just be an independent adult for awhile.  I don't have any interest in going out without him on a regular basis, but once every month or so might be nice.

14 comments:

  1. I hope you hear back from the expert soon. I'm so happy to hear you took a night to socialize and have a glass of wine.

    Looking at Finn's picture, I am just astounded at how happy and healthy he looks. He's so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the wine is fine.

    I think going out is fine too.

    What a happy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he's a real little trooper! So glad you got to have a nice night out. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad Finn did so well after the MRI. He is just so adorable!

    Good for you for going out & enjoying some wine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed yourself and hope it was a good glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to yourself once a month sounds like a great idea! I think you will find that as time goes on, you will want that more and more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to call Jax "Buddha Baby." Jax was a charmingly chubby breastfed baby too.... I love that photo. He looks so happy and cuddly.

    The wine: are you kidding me?! One glass is *not* going to hurt anything!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks like he's ready to raise the roof!

    GOOD FOR YOU for going out and having that glass of wine and a little time for YOU. You need that opportunity to recharge... even if it was a drug rep dinner.

    PS I don't think one glass of wine would hurt him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love to see your photos of your sweet boy. :)

    I'm glad you had a night out to socialize and unwind. You definitely needed and deserved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so important to take time for you too! Glad you enjoyed yourself. I'm still waiting to have my big glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you got to take a little bit of a breather. Much needed I am sure. And after all he has been through, Finn deserved a little red wine too! :)

    Miss

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Shannon,

    I have been away so long that I am only just catching up on your news now. I can't quite believe it. I am so sorry hon. What a terrible time you and dear wee Finn have been going through. I'm glad that you have had such lovely support from your friends, family and your readers.

    I don't know quite what to say, except I guess, thank goodness the neuroblastoma has been found so very early...the best possible odds in a world that really makes no sense at all.

    I can't imagine how distressing this must be for you. You are both in my thoughts and I wish for you all the very best. Sending you much love from afar, Arohanui xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope the news from CHOP is good!

    As for the wine, I read you have to be REALLY drunk for much alcohol to make it into your breast milk.

    ReplyDelete