Thursday, September 1, 2011

News from the Oncologist

The pediatric oncologist called today with the pathology results from the neuroblastoma lab.  She said that all the tissue they received was necrotic - there weren't enough live cells to do the genetic testing on to make a definite diagnosis of neuroblastoma.  So while we're fairly certain that it's neuroblastoma, all the pathologists can say is that the tumor "favors neuroblastoma", but they don't have any specimen that is good enough to be able to make a definitive diagnosis. 

She has a call in to the surgeon, but based on what he said after the initial pathology results came in, she doesn't think that another surgery to get more tissue would be helpful.  The surgeon thinks he got the best specimens he could and doesn't think he could get anything better by doing more surgery. 

So the oncologist has sent all the information she has on Finn to Dr. Maris, a neuroblastoma expert at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to get his opinion on what we should do next.  Her feeling is that without an absolute definite diagnosis, we should hold off on chemotherapy, especially since it looks like the tumor might be dying on its own, anyway. 

Dr. Maris might feel differently though, and since he's the guru, I'm going to go with whatever his recommendation ends up being.  Which means there's a chance we might still end up with chemo.  But for right now, I'm going to allow myself to be optimistic that we're just going to be doing some watchful waiting for a while!

If we don't do chemo, Finn will get an MRI next week to act as a post-surgery baseline, and then another MRI in about 4-6 weeks to see if there's been any change.  Funny how just 3 weeks ago, general anesthesia for an MRI was the worst thing I could imagine, and now our current plan of two more MRIs in the next month or so is good news!

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming long weekend.  I'm exhausted and ready for a few days off.  I have a few blog posts I want to work on, a LOT of blog commenting to do (I've been reading, but not commenting much) and tons of emails to respond to.  I can't think of any better way to spend the weekend right now than holding Finn as he naps and spending time doing just that.  Unless it's napping right along with him.

21 comments:

  1. I'm hoping that the guru agrees with watchful waiting. What an amazing outcome that will be for you two. I'm so glad things appear to be finito in the cancer department for you two. :) What a wonderful way to start a long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still praying for you all - everyday!! I'm so glad that the news is so positive. Hope you are able to relax and regroup this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Finn doesn't have to undergo chemo, but I'm glad to hear you have a guru in your corner. I hope Finn heals soon and that his MRI days are in the past!

    Thinking and praying for you and Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are both in my thoughts. Have a good cuddle with Finn this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I mentioned before, it sounds like you have a fabulous team working with you and Finn. I hoping and praying that chemo won't be needed. Give Finn an extra cuddle from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a PERFECT weekend. You deserve some peace and relaxation and cuddle time! Thinking of you both, and sending loads of good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping and praying that chemo won't be necessary but glad that you have a medical team you trust if it is needed. Get some rest this weekend and just enjoy your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope Finn won't need chemo...things seem really hopeful. Enjoy your long weekend cuddling with your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah Finn! This sounds like such promising news!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!!! Sounds like the perfect weekend, too. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. watchful waiting sounds great!!!

    either way, i'm so glad that the tissue looks like it's all dying off on its own. whatever the treatment plan, that sounds like great news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great, relaxing weekend cuddling Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shannon, you and Finn remain in my prayers. I feel optimistic about your news too--the tumor is dying on its own.... It's the breast milk--it has super powers.

    September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. I came across a blog post from a mom whose son is recovering from leukemia that you might find some comfort in:

    http://www.manicmotherphotography.com/

    Sending you virtual hugs, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great plan for the weekend. No stress allowed. :-)
    Praying for you both...many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to hear some better sounding news for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you and Finn have a nice relaxing weekend, and hoping the guru will too say no to chimo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I work at CHOP, and Dr. Maris is indeed the expert in neuroblastoma. You are in good hands. I will keep my fingers crossed that Finn is done with treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You both definitely deserve a nice long weekend just hanging out with each other!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have just found your blog and I am sending you both positive thoughts. I am a smc but my daughter was born still on may 24 (I was 40 weeks and it was a cord accident). Now I am seeking the strength to try again. Reading your blog gives me hope. I know you two will sail through this. Have a cuddle filled weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you get a lot of time to cuddle and nap with Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just keep reading your blogs and hoping for the best. You are one brave mom with one brave little guy! Enjoy your cuddles and snuggles :)

    ReplyDelete