These past few days at home have been lovely and
exhausting. After two weeks of being in the hospital, Finn is suffering
from some pretty significant separation anxiety and doesn't want me to
put him down at all. My parents were here until this morning, but they
weren't really much help, since Finn only wants me to hold him. So my
house is a mess, I have laundry that needs to be done, and did I mention my
house is a mess? Finn is mostly happy
(when he’s being held), but he’s had a few horrifying sleep terrors that break
my heart. I know he isn’t awake, but he
screams like he did after getting his IV put in last week, and it’s almost
impossible to comfort him. When he’s
awake I’m trying to make him feel secure and loved as much as possible, and I
really hope that’s enough to get him over this.
Remember how I was so worried about getting a nanny? I am now so
thankful I went the nanny route instead of going with daycare. M has been
such a huge and enormous help. She stayed with us while Finn was waiting
for surgery and kept him fairly happy when he was hungry, while I walked the
floors with my doula (all that time with laboring women has made her really
good with moms under stress - I'm so glad she offered to come and spend time
with me). M came up to the hospital every day, picked things up from the
house when I needed them, fed the cats, and basically made sure I could focus
on being there with Finn or could get away for fresh air when I needed a break.
Finn is happy with her, too, so I’m not overly worried about how he’s
going to do when I go back to work tomorrow.
It’ll probably be the end of the week before we get the pathology results
from the reference lab. In the meantime,
it really does appear that this tumor is the only one – his bone scan was
negative on Thursday. We ended up being
able to do it without anesthesia; the tech wrapped him up like a burrito and
put him in the scanner and got great pictures.
I know Finn was scared at first, but after the first few minutes I was
able to rub his head, and I talked to him the whole time, and he actually fell
asleep towards the end. I would have
been happier if he didn’t have to have it, but at least we were able to do it
without exposing him to general anesthesia for the fifth time in two weeks.
The prognosis is still very good, but I’m still living in a constant
state of fear. I’m so thankful for all
the prayers, words of comfort, research study information and prayer requests
on blogs (and elsewhere) that you all have given me and Finn.












I'm sending you love, prayers, and hope for pleasant dreams for both of you.
ReplyDeleteMy that boy can not take a bad picture! He is truly adorable and I'm so glad that you are his mom and he is your son. I'm so sorry that you both have to be dealing with this, but I am glad that you have such wonderful supportive people in your life to help you and Finn out.
ReplyDeleteKeeping you both in thoughts and prayers.
Oh my gosh Shannon - the burrito shot is adorable, sad, and hilarious all at once. Really awesome to avoid more general anaesthesia, and fantastic news about the bone scan. I know how heartbreaking the night terrors must be. After coming home from the hospital, Fiona woke up with nightmares every night, sometimes 6 or 8 times a night. It took months for her to stop having nightmares, but eventually she did, and she seems no worse for the wear now. With all the love and stability that you (and your awesome nanny!) are giving him, he's going to come through this just fine, I am sure. I'm sorry you have to go back to work so soon - just not fair - but so glad you have Nanny M.
ReplyDeleteOh Shannon, that photo brought tears to my eyes. You're poor little man to have to endure this all. I am so glad for you both that you have such a great circle of support & that M has worked out so well.
ReplyDeleteContinuing to pray for you both & sending positive thoughts.
Baby Burrito=cute! So glad you have M, sounds like she has been a comfort to you both & that is priceless. It is wonderful news that the scan came back negative!
ReplyDeleteSome of these techs are amazing. What a thoughtful thing to consider and I'm really glad it worked.
ReplyDeleteYou're nanny sounds really great. She always did but this really just confirms what a wonderful person she is.
Oh sweet boy. Just think of how strong he is to endure so much at this age. He's lucky (both of you are) that you have such a good support team with you. I'm praying for you two still.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful little burrito.... Shannon, I will be so happy when this is a distant memory for you.
ReplyDeleteNanny M is a Godsend. I'm so glad you have her.
You and Finn both remain in my prayers. XOXO
Finn is such a trooper. I must say the picture broke my heart a little. He looks so sweet despite the medical reason for the contraption around him. I"m glad to hear that M was there for you and Finn. Happier even to know that you and Finn are home. I hope the week passes swiftly so that you can find out the pathology results and put an end to some of your worries. I'm still thinking and praying for you both.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are home! So happy that M could help out and it probably helped Finn haveing her around too.
ReplyDeleteAs for laundry and stuff, will he let you wear him? So that he's still close but you have your hands free?
He's such a good boy, and I'm so happy that this is a week at home. You both need it!
ReplyDeletePoor little boy. (But what a cutie burrito!)
ReplyDeleteStill thinking and praying for the both of you.
Shannon, your nanny sounds like a dream. I'm sure that first day back at work was a hard one, but knowing he's with someone who cares and who isn't just doing a "job" probably goes a long way in soothing some of the anxiety (I know, as if anything could soothe your anxiety). Know that the prayers continue daily for you and Finn.
ReplyDeleteSending loads of hugs and continuing to think of you both.
ReplyDeleteI hope things are going okay for you and Finn. I'm always thinking about y'all!
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping and praying for you two. It hurts my heart what he's going through (and you!). He is such a cutie pie.
ReplyDeletexoxo
Sending you and Finn tons of hugs and love. If
ReplyDeleteI was an endocrinologist, I would help see your patients.
He gets cuter all the time. Continuing to keep both of you in my thoughts.
ReplyDelete