Ever since he was born, Finn has had this cute little thing with his right eye where it doesn't always open all the way, or looks droopy/smaller in pictures. At first it looked swollen too, like his right ear was at birth, and so I thought it was just something that would eventually go away. Only it didn't.And then I noticed that while his left eye was starting to get darker, maybe green or hazel, his right eye was staying blue. I noticed this about the same time I noticed that his pupil on the right was smaller, too. The small pupil and droopy eyelid thing sounded vaguely familiar to me - it took a bit, but I eventually remembered something from medical school - Horner's syndrome. I did some research, and decided that Finn probably does have Horner's syndrome, and so I made an appointment with an ophthalmologist to confirm the diagnosis.
That appointment was today. It was a LONG appointment, and right during Finn's naptime, but he was so great. He charmed the elderly patients in the waiting room, who all tried to get him to smile and talked about how cute and how big he is ("He's 12 weeks old? I need to come eat at your house!"), cooperated with the exam, and only cried when he had his pupils dilated and the doctor shone a bright light into his eyes to look at his retinas.
The final verdict is that he does have Horner's. Most of the time, congenital Horner's syndrome has no known cause, and the only thing it means is that he'll have a droopy eye lid that can be fixed with plastic surgery someday if he wants, and that he might have two different colored eyes. But sometimes, congenital Horner's syndrome is caused by a tumor - a neuroblastoma - which is a type of cancer. It's not a huge chance, but it's enough of a chance that the ophtho wants to schedule an MRI for sometime in the next few weeks.
I knew all of this before I walked into the appointment, but somehow having it all confirmed is terrifying. The thought of my little baby going under general anesthesia for the MRI is bad enough, but then the fear of what the MRI might show is overwhelming. I'm feeling optimistic that the scan is going to be normal, but I keep having thoughts of what will happen if it's not.
I'm going to try to stop thinking those thoughts, and focus on being optimistic. Kids go under general anesthesia all the time and do fine. And chances are huge that the MRI will be fine. I need to keep repeating that. Over and over. And over.












Sorry to hear you are having to go through this. You will both be in my thoughts, and I'm praying for a good outcome.
ReplyDeleteWhat a very difficult thing to hear. It sounds like you intellectually/rationally that the odds are quite good that the MRI will give Finn a clean bill of health.
ReplyDeleteHowever, as a mother, how could you not be anxious?
Focusing on being optimistic really does sound like the right path to take.
I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this on the heels of going back to work for the first time.
Big hugs for both of you.
Tara
(new Choice Mom to Millie, 1 month old yesterday)
Oh, Shannon! How scary! Hoping everything will be fine and he'll just be that cute boy with the cool eyes that all the girls are crazy about. Big hug to you both.
ReplyDeleteOh Shannon I'm so sorry to hear this. Big hugs to you both.
ReplyDeleteHe is going to be fine so keep up your mantra. Sorry you have to go through this. Hope it goes smoothly. He is going to have cool eyes- I dated a really handsome man with dichromatic eyes.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry that you have this to worry about. Uncertainty is always horrible - but chances are everything will work out just fine.
ReplyDeleteHow scary to have this extra anxiety so soon after Finn's birth! It's the not knowing that is so hard, I'm sure. Big hugs for both of you.
ReplyDelete(We've gotten used to seeing K's ophthalmologist on a regular basis, since she's got accommodative esotropia...different from Horner's, for sure, but anything involving their little eyes is scary nonetheless.) Best wishes to both of you, and please keep us all posted.
With you by his side, he'll be absolutely fine. I'll be thinking of you both in the days to come and hoping for the best.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear you are having to face this. Best wishes for the MRI!
ReplyDeleteSending up all kinds of prayers and love for you and Finn right now lady! Take care and be kind to yourself. Anxiety is normal, but keep trying to think positive if you can!
ReplyDeleteShannon, I am SO sorry that you have to deal with this. I am glad that you were able to realize what it was and seek help. Almost anything is better if dealth with earlier. Finn is going to do great with the MRI and I'm praying they see that everything is wonderful with your sweer baby boy. Love and prayers coming your way.
ReplyDeleteThere must be nothing worse than the helplessness a mother must feel when there is the slightest inkling of uncertainty about their child's health.
ReplyDeleteI will say, I watched my nephew go through something frightening when he was 2 weeks old... spinal tap, a week in the hospital and his entire first year not knowing for sure whether he had Leukemia. He did not, thank God! And he just turned 13 this week!!!
Sending you & Finn my prayers and positive thoughts!!!
Very scary. So glad you noticed early and are working with your doctor. Holding your and finn's hand and hoping that everything turns out just fine.
ReplyDeleteOh, poor you! How scary!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that he is most likely fine... and glad that you won't have to wait to very long for the MRI.
Hang in there, and keep on enjoying your precious little boy!
xoxox
Sending BIG HUGS and lots of prayers. I know it's scary but Finn is going to be just fine! So really try not to let those negative thoughts overwhelm you.
ReplyDeleteKeeping my fingers and toes crossed for you and Finn that all is OK!
ReplyDeleteTashia
On the one hand Finn is so lucky to have you as a Mom so you can make sure he has the best health care, but on the other hand it probably makes it worse for you becuase you know how bad it can be.
ReplyDeleteIt's understandable that you'll have some very anxious times for the next little while, but try to visualize a happy healthy future. I'm sure things will end up being okay. You'll be in my thoughts.
Wow. How scary. Hoping the MRI reveals nothing. I went to school with a girl who had two differnent colored eyes; I was fascinated (and adored her!).
ReplyDeleteIts always super useful to have a doctor in the family, though sometimes, its not so good for the doctor. My mom once thought I had PKU- it took a while to rule out, and those were scary days for her.
ReplyDeleteNeuroblastomas are rare right? The odds are in your favor. Hope you can schedule the MRI quickly and get this out of the way. Finn looks like a strong, healthy (and very cute) baby- he should come it just fine. Keeping you and Finn in my thoughts.
So sorry to hear that you have to go through that experience but will be hoping and praying that the test allows your fears to be relieved.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm sorry to hear!
ReplyDeleteCrossing my fingers that all goes well and that nothing is found.
He's still mighty cute, droopy eye and all. And as a few others said, your being a doctor is probably a mixed blessing. It sounds like the risk of it being anything more serious is rare, but I hope you can schedule the MRI soon so you can put your anxieties to rest.
ReplyDeleteMust be little tougher to be a dr and know what things could be, and then being the mom of the little one too!!!
ReplyDeleteKeeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.
I'll be thinking of you both. Of course Finn's gonna be just fine, but that won't stop you from worrying. In the meantime, start preparing for high school, when he'll be the cute guy with one blue eye standing in the middle of the swarm of girls... :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you have to worry about this. Finn will be fine. Finn WILL be fine. I'll be sending you positive thoughts.
ReplyDeleteWe just had our 4 month well visit and our ped noticed J's right pupil is larger than his left. We, too, will be going to an opthamologist in the near future.
ReplyDeletePraying for your little man as the MRI approaches. Praying for you that you find comfort and ease as Finn is monitored.
I can absolutely see where you would feel terrified. I probably wouldn't sleep from now until after the MRI results. Thinking of you!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Finn will do just fine with the MRI, just try not to let the worry eat you up inside (not easy, right?). I'll be thinking of you both.
ReplyDelete- Isis
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I can't imagine how fearful and helpless you must feel to have to watch Finn undergo something as involved as going under general anesthesia for an MRI and having to wait for the results.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Finn will do just fine. Keeping you both in my thoughts and hopes.
I'm so sorry you and Finn are going through this. So scary - and he's such a little guy! No little baby should have to go through this. Finn is so lucky to have you as his mom, advocating for him. I have no doubt he will do wonderfully for the MRI and the results will be great.
ReplyDeletePrayers of strength to you both -
Ugh, my eyes got teary just reading this. Not because of worry for Finn, like you say the chances are great that he is JUST FINE! But because I know all too well that deep fear that things are not alright. It is the hardest thing I've ever faced and it makes you realize that there is absolutely nothing in the world more important than our children's well being. I hope you get an appointment quickly so you don't have to worry.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, kids go under general ALL the time and are just fine. Really don't worry at all about that. By Fiona's 3rd surgery last August, it was amazing, the anaesthesia just became a side thought.
Carys failed all her newborn hearing screens (her Ped made the hospital give it to her 3 times!). In all likelihood she is fine and it was just a fluke, but I can commiserate with you about just wanting to know for sure (her follow up testing is this Tue).
Try try try not to worry. Thinking of you both!
Finn is so adorable. Love his cheeks! Just want to eat them up. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that your fears were confirmed by the ophthalmologist. I'll be thinking of you both and I look forward to reading about a clean bill of health.
How lucky this little boy is to have a doctor as a mom, and to get such good care! I will say a prayer all goes well with the follow-up. He sure is a sweet baby!
ReplyDeleteLea
So sorry to read this, but SO glad you have medical knowledge so you knew something wasn't right! I'll be praying for y'all! I know everything will be fine!
ReplyDeleteYou and Little Finn are in my prayers! Hang in there! He is quite adorable!
ReplyDelete