Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fear

I have never been so afraid in my entire life.  Even though the prognosis is good, and the doctors are very optimistic, I know there is still so much uncertainty.  I look down at my sweet boy's little face and am so very scared for him.

He is still able to smile and laugh, but I can see already how this experience has affected him.  He's content to be carried with his head looking back over my shoulder, where before now he had insisted that he be carried facing forward.  If someone else is holding him, he frequently seeks me out with his eyes, and gets upset if he can't see me - a little young for separation anxiety, but I guess the stress of this week is getting to him, too.

We did get the oncologist to write an order to let us go outside, so yesterday we went for two walks out in the suddenly perfect summer weather.  Last night on our walk I couldn't help but think of what a great walk we'd be having in his super cool stroller if the MRI had turned out differently; I've been looking forward to cooler evenings so we could start going for long walks before bed.

We pass people in the halls who all comment, "what a cute baby" and then I see the sympathy in their eyes when they notice his hospital bracelet.  I see sick babies and children in the rooms around me, and their tired and stressed parents and feel sorry for them, and then feel the shock of realizing that I'm one of them.

This feels like a horrible nightmare that I just can't wake up from.  Finn gets an IV today so they can give him the contrast for his scans on Wednesday and Thursday.  I remember Claire saying how general anesthesia quickly became a nonissue for her when Fiona was so sick last year, and now I'm surprised to discover I feel the same way.  I'm not at all worried about his anesthesia for tomorrow, I'm just worried about how difficult it is going to be for them to start an IV on him today; I hope they get it on the first try and that he doesn't hurt too much from it.

29 comments:

  1. Shannon, you and Finn are in my thoughts. I hope the scans give you more reason to be optimistic about his prognosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you and Finn constantly. I want to jump on a plane and come and take care of you. I know you've got people around you that you can lean on - but the Italian in me needs to feed you. :) Please know that if I could take this away from Finn, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I can only imagine how this is affecting him. And the fear that you're going through as his mother and not being able to make it all go away. It's amazing how one tiny little being can mean more than life to us... Just remember how much I love you and am always here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine your fear. Hang in there. We're all thinking of you both.

    BTW, that picture is just scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an incredibly strong lady, I am in awe of you. How could you not be scared, it's totally understandable. Hang in there, there are so many people thinking of you and Finn. We are send our good thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Finn are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Shannon, I can't even fathom the fear and the anxiety and the stress. I think we often forget just how resilient babies are and I just know that Finn will kick this stupid cancer and he will be back to the sunny happy baby that you knew just a short week ago. My poor friend, I'm just so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely understand your fear of the unknown, and also how quickly you become accustomed to the tests, anesthesia, etc. Do not allow your fear to get the best of you. Finn will pull through and perhaps the only blessing in him being so young, is he won't remember it!! If they have even the slightest trouble with the IV, ask for the head person. You may not have thought of this, but have your friend (the professional photographer) come to the hospital to take some 3 month photos of Finn and Finn with you. Some of the treatments and IVs may make him swell. When Tanner was in the hospital I didn't think I'd want a single photo taken. Someone insisted and today they are some of my favorite photos!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!! Please let me know if you need anything!!
    Val and Kylan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers and thought always with you & Finn. It sounds like you've got a lot of good professionals around you who want nothing more than to get Finn well. We're all pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon, This is just unimaginable! I am hoping for the best outcome... Babies are very resilient and hopefully this will be over quickly and he will be as strong and robust as ever. I don't know if my words give you any comfort but just know so many have been touched by you and are here for your family. Keep loving Finn mightily and know you're doing everything you can for him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon,
    You dont know me, and I don't know you... But I've been following your blog since connecting to it recently from Claire's page (we don't know each other, either). I'm a "thinker/planner" on the SMC journey, hoping to start trying in January. I just wanted to suggest that if you haven't already met one, consider asking if there is a child life specialist (CLS) at the hospital where you and Finn are. I'm a child life specialist, and what we do is help children and their families cope with medical experiences. A CLS could bring developmentally-appropriate toys for Finn to play with, provide you with breaks to take a shower, make a phone call, etc, be an active listener, and just do whatever she can to help support you and Finn on this journey. I just KNOW that Finn will beat this! Hang in there, take it one day at a time (and one hour at a time), be sure to take care of yourself (i.e. eat, sleep, take small breaks when you can) so you can provide the best support to Finn.

    Best,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shannon,
    You may be feeling fearful, sad or angry - and all of those are Totally normal reactions - but please don't forget - It seems to me as though you are handling this absolutely fabulously. You have gone through so much in just the past week alone- and here you are writing a beautiful blog - keeping us updated - and doing everything that can be possibly be done for Finn. You can't do more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shannon, I am thinking of you and Finn. I am fervently hoping that this nightmare is soon over for you and your little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shannon, my heart is breaking for you. I cannot imagine how hard this must be. Everyone is here thinking of you and Finn and hoping for the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shannon....I think about you and sweet little Finn all the time. I am sending positive energy, vibes, prayers, hugs and love your way all the time. Though we don't know each other I feel all of us mothers especially us SMCs are connected. In your darkest moments close your eyes and try to just feel the love and support coming your way in waves. It may not be tangible, but it will overcome you if you let it. I hope everything went well today and that the next couple of days are gentle on you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoping the next few days are easy on Finn- hopefully he will get the best stick in town. Prayers and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can only imagine how terrifying this is! Just know that Finn is in really good hands with a really good mommy!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoping to hear good news tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shannon, this must all feel so surreal for you. My thoughts & prayers are with you & Finn. Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Despite the fear, you are strong enough to get through whatever comes your way. Just remember that. Let the tears flow when they need to flow, but remember your strength.

    Thinking of you and praying for little Finn tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It must be so sad to have to worry about your little baby like this. I am thinking of you both and sending you good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't even imagine what you are going through. No one should have to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shannon, it was so lovely to meet Finn at the recent SMC dinner party and I am so heartbroken to hear about this, for both of you. I am thinking about you guys almost every moment and sending as much love and support your way as possible. Please let me know if the members of the SMC group can do anything for you - I'm sure they'd all love to help in some way if they could.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shannon, I am thinking of you and Finn everyday. Please let us know how he is doing. We love you.

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Shannon, I'm so sorry this is happening. I can't begin to imagine how difficult this must be for you and Finn both. But I will keep you two in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have been thinking of you lots and just checked in to see how things are - pleased to read that they may not be as bad as first thought. Thinking of you as you go through the next few days though. Big love to Finn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shannon, I just got caught up on you and Finn. After I finished reading, I put my head in my hands and closed my eyes and prayed.

    I know how scary it is to have a child in the hospital, and I wish I could do something to ease your fears. I'm so glad you have a support system.

    Finn is going to be okay, and I'll continue to pray.

    Big hugs to you both, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hope the tests this week have shown good news. Give that little boy a huge hug from me.. Praying for him.

    ReplyDelete