I’ve had a delightfully lazy weekend so far, made even better by the fact that I don’t have to go to work tomorrow! I’ve watched more TV in the past two days than I have in the past two weeks, including a show that makes my shutter finger itch to pull out my camera, The Fabulous Beekman Boys. Their farm and their animals are just begging for me to come and photograph them (because you know that there’s nothing two gay boys want more than a knocked up single woman/amateur photographer tromping through their fields).
I went for a walk yesterday morning through my neighborhood and my favorite cemetery. I hadn’t really planned on living here with children, but it looks like I’m not going to have a choice, so I’m glad that there are nice neighbors, green spaces and a great place to walk.
I bought my condo five years ago, with the idea that I’d have sold it by now, either because I’d gotten married, or because I was going to have a baby on my own. I met with my realtor this spring, and learned that I could sell only if I was prepared to owe a lot of money on my mortgage, even once the place wasn’t mine anymore. So my plan changed from moving to a nice 3 bedroom in the ‘burbs, to renovating/redecorating my one bedroom-with-a-loft condo in the city.
So far I’ve painted my living room a lovely terra cotta and the rest of the place a warm taupe. I’ve bought a new dining room table (World Market rocks), a cupboard to make up for my horrible lack of kitchen storage and new bedroom furniture. Next up is the difficult task of converting my upstairs loft into a baby room. I’m going to have the railing taken out and a wall and door put in, so that the open loft will become a usable room for a growing child to play and sleep in. I have a day off near the end of the month, and I’m planning on using it to have a few companies come in to give me ideas and estimates. I’m not looking forward to the hassle and mess, but I think it’ll be worth it.
Tomorrow I’m going rug shopping. I’m hoping to get them for the living room, dining room and hallway. I hate looking for rugs, and tend to get overwhelmed easily, but luckily I have a friend going along who’s very good with decorating. She doesn’t know I’m pregnant, and I’m not planning on telling her, so I hope we have help getting the rugs in the car. Come to think of it, I hope I can find help getting the rugs out of the car!
Even with all the work to be done, it’s amazing how much my condo has changed from a place I live, to a place I call home. It might even be a place I can imagine bringing a baby home to, about 8 months from now.













Shannon, I can't believe how much we have in common. Although my home is a ranch in the country, I have taupe, terra cotta and a table from World Market in my living room too. And I'm planning on a big construction project to get ready for baby as well. I feel like I'm country mouse to your city mouse.
ReplyDeleteOh please! Any gay couple worth their salt needs a knocked-up single hetero female in their lives. And then you'd have some great gay uncles for the baby! Sounds like a win-win to me! :o)
ReplyDeleteShannon,
ReplyDeleteI love World Market too.. I am also selfishly enjoying myself this weekend.. absorbing the sun and cooking...
I can tell that you are happy and loving being pregnant.
Enjoy your long weekend and being lazy--isn't it the best?!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to have a wall put up to make me a new master bedroom (well really it's reconverting it back to the bedroom it used to be--and I know 12X10 isn't huge, but hey what do you expect for a 1950's ranch home ;) ) I just need to decide if I want a "normal" sized closet or the size it originally was "teeny".
Hope the rug shopping goes wonderfully and people are more than willing to help out with carrying them to and from the car!
The condo plans sound great! There really is something to be said for making your place a home - and turning it into a space you WANT to come home to (and bring your little one home to as well!) :)
ReplyDeleteI agree making a home is such good therapy. I am hoping to join you all in the home ownership club. Too bad CT is wicked expensive. I am sure there are some deals out there.
ReplyDeleteI love the Beekman Boys too.
Could that be the nesting instinct taking hold already, lol ;)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great long weekend!