Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cat Training

I think my cat might be working on training me to be a new mom.  Vagus is 15 years old, and has always preferred to drink from a faucet rather than a bowl.  Back in my less environmentally conscious days, I'd just leave the tap dripping for him, but I just can't do that now.  I thought I had him cured by keeping various types of bowls and cups with water throughout the house, but lately he's wised up to that.

A few months ago, he started howling in the bathroom in the middle of the night, wanting water.  If I give in and turn the water on for him, he takes forever to drink and so I usually can't fall back to sleep if I stay up with him while he finishes, so I'd just let him howl.  But the howling got so bad, I finally started closing the bathroom door, leaving a water bowl right outside the door.

At first that worked.  He'd go to drink, see the door was closed and just drink from the dish.  But now that's not good enough, and he wants the faucet.  Instead of howling in my bathroom and bedroom, though, he now goes downstairs and howls.  Loudly.  Or he chases me into the bathroom when I get up in the middle of the night to pee, and then meows at the sink and looks at me with his big, pitiful eyes.

I've tried the water dispensers for cats before, the kind with the reservoir on them.  He loves them, but just can't resist tipping the water jug over.  Really, even at 15, it's a irresistible temptation.  I've been at a loss, until I mentioned it to my acupuncturist.  She has one of those table fountains that's made of clay and plastic tubing that someone gave her years ago, and has been sitting in her closet, unused.  She brought it to me today, and it looks perfect!  Running water, heavy, small, and no visible water reservoir to tempt the cat.

I got home from acupuncture today with the fountain in hand, and as soon as I'd fed the cats, I had it cleaned up, filled with water and ready to go.  I picked up Vagus and set him in front of it, sure he'd be enthralled.  Instead, he was terrified!  He froze, huddled against my legs for a few seconds, then bolted for the living room.

I hope he'll get over it.  Because I really don't want to practice getting up in the middle of the night until I have to because there's a baby to feed!  Anyone else have any suggestions?

(BTW - he isn't drinking more than usual, so I don't think he has diabetes.  I really think he's just being ornery in his old age!)

(BTW#2 - less than six days until my ultrasound!)

7 comments:

  1. Cutie kitty...hard not to spoil them.
    6 DAYS!!!! Hope they fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. Its amazing how our cats really do control us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! Both my cats drink from the bathroom sink and it is a race to the bathroom everytime I go to use it. I almost trip over them. I am bad and I put the water on for them but they never cry or howl for me to put the water on. They just get water from the sink when I give it to them. It's funny!

    Can't wait for you u/s!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never hear of a cat drinking from the faucet! That's hilarious! Even more so since he's so particular about it! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cat is a character. I can't wait to hear about your ultrasound.. how exciting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I LOVE his name! Hysterical. Second, it sounds like he has quite the personality~ too cute :)
    And finally... only 3 days until your u/s! yahooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cats love drinking from running water as well. I purchased the Drinkwell fountain for them. It's a motorized water bowl. They love it. :)

    ReplyDelete