This pregnancy I started with nausea around week 5, but then realized it was heartburn, and was nausea free most of the time until week 8, when it’s really kicked in, despite the heartburn medications. I had lots of cramping and stretching from the time of implantation through week 6, and still have intermittent cramping and round ligament pain on a daily basis. I’ve been physically exhausted, and really only function with 9 hours of sleep. My breasts are just slightly achy, but that hasn’t changed for several weeks. My first ultrasound at 7 weeks showed a baby measuring 6 weeks, 5 days, with a strong heart rate of 148 and a normal sized yolk sac.
I keep focusing on these differences, reminding myself that this time is different, and I really believe that all is going to be well on Monday’s ultrasound. But every time I get really comfortable with that thought, especially when I imagine my baby’s heart beating happily inside me right now, I remember that second ultrasound in May.
I remember seeing the baby appear on the screen and instantly knowing that something was wrong. This baby didn’t look much different than the ultrasound two weeks earlier, and not at all like the 9 week ultrasound pictures I’d seen online. The ultrasound tech moved the probe a bit, was quiet and then she said, “I don’t see anything, do you?” LB and I both responded, “No.” I didn’t need the doctor coming in to tell me that I’d lost my baby, I knew her heart had stopped. And I felt like my heart had stopped along with it.
I wish I could stop remembering that morning in such painful detail, especially when I’m trying to be optimistic for Monday’s scan. Especially when I really do feel optimistic for Monday’s scan. The crazy part – I am so not a worrier! It feels unnatural to me, to be so worried - in fact, if I'd heard myself a year ago I probably would have rolled my eyes and told myself to stop being so crazy. I guess I should get used to the worry, though, because my heart really isn't my own anymore.












No surprise you are worried after your experience, and unfortunately the details of 'that day' may not really fade. I can still feel the tech's hand on my leg - exactly where she touched me. BUT, you have a lovely little baby in there, and I am sure your natural positivity will reassert itself soon. Especially after you see a perfect scan on Monday.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure what to say here friend, because I am pretty positive I would feel the exact same way. When you go through something traumatic like that, it's hard to shake the feeling.
ReplyDeletePlease know that I will still be thinking of you, and praying for you though... I believe with all my heart that this time things are going to go exactly the way they should go... and hopefully you will be able to fully embrace that hope here soon as well!
Shannon, it is so understandable that you worry. Hopefully on Monday you'll see so much growth that you will feel comforted and able to let go of some of the worry.
ReplyDeleteI'll be thinking of you and praying for you.
I know what it's like to go back to a bad memory time and time again even though you want to stay positive and forget that dark time. Stay the course...Monday is not far off. I'll be looking for your triumphant update.
ReplyDeleteBe strong - Monday is right around the corner thank goodness. You don't have long to wait. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Here's hoping that Monday's ultrasound is good and you can let your worry subside even if it's only a little bit. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteI am confident that everything will be just fine on Monday. It's normal to worry but really, it's not going to help. Enjoy being pregnant.. can't wait to see the ultrasound.
ReplyDeleteTrying to fight your feelings is hard. When I went in for the scan that showed my baby had died, I was completely and utterly unprepared. After all, I had had a pregnancy that got off to a splendid start and two normal, lovely ultrasounds before. I was filled with nothing but optimism before, and now I'm utterly unsure if I can ever support a pregnancy, I've lost faith in myself. Its irrational, but there it is. I believe in it again when I cross maybe the 4 month mark with the next one,but in the meantime, I'm not going to fight my feelings. Boundless optimism cannot save a pregnancy destined to fail, and neither can fear jinx a pregnancy destined to succeed.
ReplyDeletePessimism and fear are super uncomfortable feelings though, and if we can keep them at bay for prolonged stretches, hooray for us.
I am so sorry that you kept reliving that moment b/c I know first hand how that feels. I can only imagine the worry and anxiety. I know little Chiquita is doing just fine. So, hang in there. Monday is almost here and then you will see your sweet little Chiquita and hopefully be able to breathe again. HUGS!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's totally understandable why all you're feeling all these feelings right now. And why you're worrying when you normally don't worry. You went through a traumatic experience losing your first baby- and it only happened a few months ago.
ReplyDeleteHang on to those feelings that THIS pregnancy is different. THIS pregnancy is strong and healthy. Less than 48 hours until Monday's u/s!!
It's natural for you to worry... but on Monday you will have a great U/S showing a strong baby! And after Monday's u/s... there will be no more comparisons of your first pregnancy going forward. You will always remember and cherish the soul you created... but I hope you will have less stress from sad memories... and continued joy from your new precious gift!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with these ladies. Monday is going to be wonderful and magical. I am going in on Wednesday myself.
ReplyDeleteOf course you're worried! I'll be thinking of you today & can't wait to hear about your wonderful results!!
ReplyDelete