In January of 1993, back when I still believed that I’d be married with 4 kids by the time I was 32, I went with some friends to see a band I’d never heard of – the Dave Matthews Band. It was a Tuesday night, we were in college and it was just $5 to get in. By the time the show was over, I was in love – not with the band, but with the bass player, Stefan. I went back the next Tuesday night, and started to listen to the music. And realized I loved it, too. By the end of 1993, my friends and I had seen them almost every single Tuesday night they were in town, and had driven across the state to see them when they weren’t in town.
We had our usual spot in the front row, right in front of Boyd, the violinist, so while we never actually had any extended conversations with the band, they all knew who we were. When their first album was released that fall, we went to the CD release party, and the autographed poster from that night (signed with funny things from Dave and a sweet comment from Carter after I told him I’d always wanted to play the drums) is hanging in my office at work today.
I’ve only seen them about 8 times since 1995, but every time fills me with absolute joy. I loved the time in my life when they were so important to me, and when I’m at a show, I can close my eyes, hear the music, feel the bass deep in my chest - and for a moment I can experience that same happiness and innocence I had back then.
They were in my town this week, and Ali and I had tickets – the best tickets I’ve had since 1995! The seats weren’t fabulous, but I could actually see their faces, and could imagine that they saw me and said to each other after the show, “Did you see that one of our favorite fans from our early days was at the show tonight?” Or more likely, “That stalker girl from Charlottesville is back, did you see her?” Of course they didn’t play all my favorite songs, but they did play “Lover Lay Down” and “Jimi Thing” so I was happy. And Branford Marsalis was with them for part of the show, which was so cool!
Over the past couple of weeks I’ve realized that I’m not as recovered from my miscarriage as I thought I was, and in many ways I’ve been an emotional hot mess. My evening with Dave was wonderful therapy – I just wish I could follow them around for a few more shows.
When I step into the light
My arms are open wide
When I step into the light
My eyes searching wildly
Would you not like to be
Sitting on top of the world with
Your legs hanging free
Would you not like to be ok?
When I'm walking by the water
Splish splash me and you takin a bath
When I'm walking by the water
Come up through my toes
To my ankles
To my head
To my soul
And I'm blown away
I can't believe that we would
Lie in our graves
Wondering if we had
Spent our living days well
I can't believe that we would
Lie in our graves
Dreaming of things that we
Might have been
-DMB
My goal in life is to not be at the end of it, dreaming of the things I might of been. Instead, I hope get to the end of my life and be so glad I took the chances and the risks and had lived my life to the fullest. With DMB providing the soundtrack.













"Like" (for lack of any deeper thoughts at this time)
ReplyDeleteThis is what I hope for too. My jump start in life was the death of someone close to me who was very young- it made me realize that life is happening all the time and we better live it...we cannot plan for everything, we cannot always be waiting..I don't want to have regrets...and now I am a mommy....you will be too I am sure!!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good time at the show (not that I doubted you would!). And if you took that pic, then you had pretty darned good seats I think. I get a sense of peace and "rightness" at Jovi shows. Although I'm way more obsessed and stalker-ish about them than you could ever be able Dave I think (because I'm just a teeny bit psycho as you are well aware, I am sure :o) But I love experiences like this and I hope this has extra healing properties for you.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post. Amazing how music can take us and shake us and make us wake up to what we really feel? DMB is amazing. I saw them live at Red Rocks in 95 and will never forget it. I'm glad that you had this moment with them. Love it. Hang in there girl!
ReplyDeleteLove the title and LOVE, LOVE this post! I, too, am a huge DMB fan. Sounds like we may have been at some of the same shows... I went to school in VA in the early 90s just when they were starting out. When I saw them last year at Fenway Stadium, it was a very surreal experience. I can relate to all those feelings that came back hearing them again live.
ReplyDeleteThere's something to be said about playing great music to help get us out of a funk. And I can't think of a better choice than DMB as the soundtrack to anyone's life!
They have always been one of my favorite bands, and are still to this day one of the best shows I've seen... I am suddenly insanely jealous that you got to be a groupie when you were first starting out!
ReplyDeleteAs for the rest of it... I think it's a process, and I don't think anyone expects you to be healed overnight. You'll get there in your own time.
I love it! It's great that something that meant so much to you when you were younger has come full circle to bring you comfort today.
ReplyDelete