In my perfect single mom
world, I’d have a big house with a large yard (and a cute guy to cut the grass,
preferably with his shirt off).
My kitchen would flow into my living room, with lots of windows, a long
low table for art projects, bins for neatly storing toys, and an amazing sound
system so music could be enjoyed all day long.
The windows would look out
into the back yard, giving me an easy view of either the aforementioned yard
boy, or my kids and their friends playing outside. And the yard would have space for a swing, some flowers and a dog.
My reality is a cramped,
somewhat dark house that’s groaning at the seams with toys and books and
strollers and riding toys that don’t have anywhere but the dining room to be
stored. Our back yard is tiny, on the
corner of a busy street, and without a fence. My neighbors are lovely, and there are plenty
of (older) kids in the neighborhood and I feel safe. But it’s not home. I am so ready to move, and yet, financially speaking, I need to stay here right now.
A few weeks ago, though, it occurred to me that
this place that I’m living now, as imperfect as it is, will house some of my
most treasured memories in years to come.
Finn learned to walk in this house.
His first real words, and his first sentences (and soon paragraphs) were
all spoken here. The hours spent rocking him to sleep, the funny times in the
bath, the middle of the night snuggles, the mornings watching Mickey Mouse, and
the afternoons dancing in the kitchen will all make me love this house in my
memories much more than I love it today.
As I’ve mentioned before,
it’s my hope to move about this time next year.
It won’t be into my perfect dream home but hopefully it will be into a
home that I can - over time - mold into my perfect dream home. If I can get a place with the bare bones of
what I want I can take my time putting it together into a place I’ll be happy to
live for the next twenty years.
At first it really bothered
me that because of my underwater condo, money was going to keep me from getting
the house I want. But I’ve come to
realize that it isn’t the stuff in the house, or even the house itself, that
make the place I live my home. It’s the
love and the joy inside the house that matter.
Finn isn’t going to care if
the walls are painted the color I want, or if I have the sofa I’m dreaming of
and the big screen tv. His childhood
memories won’t revolve around sound systems and perfectly manicured lawns. What he will remember are the things we did
together, and the feeling of being loved and cherished and nurtured.
![]() |
| enjoying a sunny afternoon walk |
Of course, there’s the mommy
guilt that goes along with leaving a nanny to do a lot of that loving and
cherishing, but despite my initial fears associated with having a nanny, it’s
pretty clear that I am still the most important person in Finn’s life. That being said, the one thing I have got to get better at is
making sure that the few hours we have together every day and on weekends are
quality hours.
I’ve taken to planning some
sort of expedition every weekend. I find
it’s easier to focus on our time together when there’s at least one planned
outing, even if it’s just to the local children’s museum or the park. That makes our weekends pretty easy. Busy for sure, filled with fun times as well
as the usual weekend chores, but very enjoyable.
I’m hoping to be more
consistent in our quality time in the evenings after work. This might get easier as he gets more verbal,
and we can have more conversations about our days, but right now I find myself
repeatedly distracted by my phone and my computer. It would be almost impossible to make myself
go completely offline from the time I get home at night to the time he goes to
bed, but starting Monday I’m going to try.
And I'm really going to try to stop thinking about where I live, and instead start focusing on how I live.














You are so right, home is where the love is. It's not really a physical thing at all.
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe how grown up Finn looks now. So adorable!
I loved reading this post. I live in a condo. Our outdoor toys are stored at my parents house around the corner so if we want to ride on something we have to go there. Otherwise it's the park across the street with sand toys. She doesn't seem to mind that there are no riding toys here. It's just the way it is. We have only two bedrooms so soon we will be more cramped adding a third member to our home. But as SR gets off the elevator everyday and runs to our door screaming "home! We're home!" I know she isn't deprived by not having a house. She loves our home. And I'm sure Finn feels the same way about where you are living and making memories together.
ReplyDeleteLoved the last line, similar to the motto I adopted after my dad died & what lead me to having Elena, "creating a life worth living"
ReplyDeleteI just completed my Summer Fun Calendar...I know, I'm disgustingly organized...I research online for fairs, festivals, children's events & put together a calendar in Excel so that just about every weekend I have a few choices of fun stuff for Elena & I. I've also signed up for some emails sent but my province's tourism board.
Awww I love this post Shannon! So very true. I'm planning on moving in about 18-24 months to give us a backyard (I'm in a 3 story townhome that I LOVE, but I feel like Tate needs a backyard and the ability to run around in the front with friends), but like I wrote about 2 posts ago..Tate loves this place. His favorite thing to do is be home. He considers being home all day last Saturday as being a party with Mommy (his words). Thank you for reminding me that he doesn't miss not having a backyard or running amok outside (he hates being outside in the first place).
ReplyDeleteI wish you luck on Monday. That's actually something that I do...I'm pretty unreachable from the time I pick up Tate until he goes to bed. All my friends know if they want to talk to me to call me after 830/9 or on my way home from work. Then again most of them have kids as well, so they don't have time to talk either. And with their kids who are a few years older (6-8 years) there are so many soccer and baseball practices that they are just super busy. We communicate via text during the day. Noone responds during the prime early evening. Unless I'm on call, which thankfully is rare during the week these days, I leave my phone downstairs when I take Tate upstairs for bath and bedtime routine which lasts at least an hour. I think you'll find it much easier to do once you start. Of course right now I'm on the computer this gorgeous Sunday morning while he plays a bit...gotta get off here and get us ready for church :) Happy Sunday!
I hear you in so much of this. Our house is also small with a tiny yard, but it does serve us well and provide all we need. I am often thinking about where we will move to, but then I see other people's situation in different places and I actualyy think we are quite lucky with what we have. With regard to staying off like while Finn is awake, that is a struggle for me with BB too. I manage it by limiting it - I check my emails each morning after breakfast for example, just so I know what the day has in store, then I try and leave it until he naps. This works pretty well most of the time, but if there is something big happening work wise I find it hard. Good luck for tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteWhat does "underwater condo" mean?
ReplyDeleteAnd I really think, historically speaking, the woman who got to sit around all day loving her baby and involving it in aspect of her life is a myth. Nannies, grandmas, relatives, neighbors, older siblings...moms need help. So stomp that guilt.
LOL! Sorry - I meant condo with an underwater mortgage. :)
DeleteThanks for the reminder that I need to get rid of the guilt. It's so easy to forget that we are supposed to share childrearing duties.
I agree--my house is too small and fragile for our boisterous family. I'd love more space. I need more space. But I don't need more debt. I don't want to be house poor. We are going to stay right here and make the best of it. Oh, and I also agree that weekends are much better with one expedition--in our family we call them "adventures". Otherwise the entire weekend is eaten up by errands and chores.
ReplyDeleteOh, there is just so much *good-ness* in this post! Living life to the fullest, making the most of what you have - that kind of thing. :)
ReplyDeleteI, too, want to move. And I've started taking just the barest of steps to make it happen, but I have a long way to go. My issue is, I want to move to a better school district, but I can't really afford it. And if I do make it happen, it'll be with a lot less space than we have now, both inside and out. So, I need to do some thinking about priorities... More space to enjoy and live our lives, or a better school district? Hmmm.
Glad you're seeing and focusing on the positives! And I love the offline idea!
I love this post! In regards to housing, I'm the opposite of you...we have the nice sized house with a fabulous yard, but I so wish we were still in our teeny, tiny, dark, old house because then we could afford for me to be a stay at home mom! LOL. Because what you said is so true: the physical house does not define your "home"! It's the memories and time spent there that are important.
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking the same thing about planning a weekly "expedition" for D and going "off the grid" in the evenings until he is in bed. I think both are wonderful ideas and I'm going to start implementing both this week.