By Monday afternoon it was obvious he was getting worse, so I called and made an appointment with the vet. Vagus was unsteady on his feet, had trouble sitting down or standing up, and was barely eating or drinking anything. For the first time in his life with me, he didn't sleep on my bed Sunday or Monday night, though he did find a way to make it up the stairs (when I thought he'd be more comfortable downstairs) to sleep on the floor in my room. Last night he jumped up on the couch to sit in my lap, but didn't purr or lean into my hand as I rubbed his head.
So I was pretty sure when I went into the vet tonight that it was to say goodbye. Luckily LB was able to come with us, and it helped so much having her there by my side. The vet looked at him, talked to me, and agreed that now was time. They gave him a shot in his leg to sedate him, and he drifted off to sleep. I snuggled and cuddled him, and told him how much I loved him. About 10 minutes later they came back in - Vagus was completely sedated, and just barely breathing. As he was no longer really there any more, I thought it was ok to leave, so I kissed his head one more time and we left.
Finn had kissed his head before we left, and didn't seem surprised when we got home without Vagus, but was clearly upset and sad. He held on to me and wouldn't let me put him down, and at one point said something about Vagus having a boo-boo. While we were rocking in his room at bedtime, Zaphira walked in and sneezed a couple of times. Finn said up and shouted, "Vagus!" as Vagus was a champion sneezer. He smiled when he realized it was Zaphira and not Vagus...but I'm pretty sure he's going to be looking for Vagus for a while.
![]() |
| Hugging Vagus last night |
*******
But today was also a day for beginnings. My donor eggs were thawed today, and fertilized with sperm from Finn's donor. Right now, in a lab in Atlanta, my embryos are growing and dividing. I'll get the fertilization report tomorrow, hoping and praying that my baby is one of them.
I've been singing "The Circle of Life" all day today.














Oh Shannon, you brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry to hear about Vagus, but am so glad that he told you when it was time. We all hope for this when it comes to our pets. You did right by him, I promise you that!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the fertilization report! I am thinking of you!
Wow! What a day, huh? I'm so sorry for your loss and excited for your upcoming gain, too!
ReplyDeleteSo so sorry about Vagus... Praying you get an excellent fertilization report!
ReplyDeleteOh sad day, I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteHoping that tomorrow is a very, very happy day.
Oh Shannon, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I know how hard it is to lose a cat that's been with you for 18 years. No matter the age, no matter the circumstances saying goodbye isn't easy. :(
ReplyDeleteThinking of you.
Thinking about you. I love that where one life begins another may just be beginning.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. Have you explained any of this to Finn? Wishing your new little embryos lots of luck as they develop into your new little family member(s).
ReplyDeleteFull circle...I'm sorry for your loss of Vagus. It's never easy no matter how clear the choice was.
ReplyDeleteThinking & sending good thoughts for your embies & hope for your babe
I'm sorry for your loss. It is hard to say goodbye to pets, especially if they were our "babies" prior to having a baby.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the embryos, looking forward to hearing more updates!
Sorry about Vagus. Its so hard to say goodbye, but you did the right thing. He had a great life with you and Finn and was loved.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the fert reports!!
I'm so sorry about Vagus. It's always a tough decision to make. Heart-wrenching. But you did right by him. *hugs*
ReplyDeleteSending lots of good thoughts for an excellent fertilization report.
Oh, I'm so sorry about Vagus.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes on the fert report. Will you definitely be doing a day 5 transfer or does it depend on numbers?
So sorry to hear about Vagus. FWIW, I agree you made the right decision. Thinking good thoughts for those embryos!
ReplyDeleteRIP Vagus. Great that you have new life to focus on though - I hope Finn copes OK. Hugs
ReplyDeleteThis post really tugged at my heart. I'm so sorry you had to say good-bye to your little buddy. My thoughts are with you and Finn.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a crazy day... filled with sadness and hope at the same time.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss.
And hopeful for your new beginning!
Oh, my goodness--what a day. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. Thinking good thoughts about the circle of life though.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs to you and Finn...
ReplyDeleteSo sorry.
ReplyDeleteso sorry :( :(
ReplyDeleteAhhhh Shannon I'm so very sorry. And I so love the name Vagus!! Was there any particular reason you named him vagus...any kind of recognition for the nerve of the same name?
ReplyDeleteDefinitely the circle of life. Isn't life amazing?! Miles away a baby, your baby might have been made today! That is breathtaking!!!
So sorry.
ReplyDeleteoh no!! I'm sooo sorry. I'm crying for you and Finn. I've been there and it's terrible. It sounds like you did the right thing for Vagus though.
ReplyDeleteI like your outlook. Circle of Life indeed.
Im so so sorry Shannon. What you described was similar to what I went through with my other cat Tabbie 3 years ago when I had to put her to sleep. Same litterbox problems however she was going into heart failure at 14. Hardest thing I had to do even though I know it was the right decision to make for her. As I typed my other 11 yr old cat lays curled up in a ball next to me on the couch and lets my LO pull her hair and tail and I dread the day when I may have to do the same for her. I loved seeing pics of Vagus and Finn the past two years. Sending a big Hug your way! oneforlis
ReplyDeleteOh, Shannon, I'm so sorry for your loss. And here I'm just catching up on blogs, and just commented on your last post saying I hope Vagus can make a turnaround... Clearly, I hadn't read this post yet. I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you and Finn as you grieve your loss. But I'll also be thinking of your embryos and hoping one of them becomes your second child!
ReplyDelete