Monday, May 20, 2013

Vagus the Cat

My cat Vagus is 18 years old this month.  I got him from the SPCA in Oklahoma in 1995, and he's been a cuddly pain in the ass ever since.  He loves to snuggle, and curls up in my lap when I'm on the couch, and next to my head when I'm in the bed.  He's been amazingly tolerant of Finn, who loves to hug him and snuggle him and brush his fur.  He also loves to howl in the middle of the night for no reason, and can do it for hours on end.  Hours.  On end.  (Imagine me, 6 months pregnant, yelling down the stairs, "For the love of all that is good and holy, Vagus, shut the fuck up!")  He's white with some black markings, and loves to get on all my black clothes and cover them with fur.  I've kept the lint roller people in business for years.

Almost exactly a year ago
This winter I kept smelling something off in my closet. And then I discovered that it was pee.  A large spot of pee on the floor, and on a few of my shoes.  I caught Vagus in the act, so I know it was him.  I've been vigilant ever since to keep the closet door closed, and always looking for pee spots.  I have found a few in the kitchen and bathroom, but none on the carpet.

A few years ago he developed some arthritis in his back legs, and couldn't clean his paws as well as he used to - so occasionally he'd step in wet litter, and then track it all over the house.  That's gotten a lot worse, and then, last week, it stopped.  It stopped because he was no longer making it in the litter box to pee.  He was peeing around the litter box, but not in it.  I tried getting a new little box with lower sides, but that didn't help.  So the floor is now covered with plastic and a large tray and puppy pads.

Less than 2 weeks ago
He's been on a downhill slide for months. Every time he doesn't come down when I'm home I go looking for him, half afraid I'll find his dead body curled on the floor in my room.  The past few days he's taken a fairly dramatic turn for the worse.  He hasn't done much but sleep, and I'm not sure he would have been able to make it down the stairs today if I hadn't carried him down. When I picked him up I was shocked by how light he feels, and I think that most of the grooming work has been done by the other cat, Zaphira.  He's eaten, and he's had some water to drink, but when he walked into the kitchen this evening, he was clearly shaky on his feet.

He's 18.  He's old.  I don't really think he's sick, I think it's just old age.  I don't know if he's in pain, but based on his behavior today, I'm wondering if it's time to take him to the vet and let him go.  I don't know if I'm capable of making that decision, though.  He's been such a pain in the ass his entire life that the thought of putting him to sleep fills me with equal parts sadness, relief and guilt.

I leave for Atlanta on Thursday morning.  My neighbors are going to feed the cats for me while I'm gone, but I'm wishing I had arranged for a pet sitter to come instead, as I don't feel comfortable asking them to take on the responsibility of checking on Vagus to make sure he's still alive and doesn't need medical attention.  I guess if he's not any better by Wednesday morning, I'll cancel my acupuncture appointment for that evening and see what the vet has to say.

It's hard to know which I hope for more - that tomorrow morning I wake up to find that he's passed in the night, or that I wake up to find he's back to his old self.  I feel like a horrible person for feeling this way.  It may be hard to believe, but I really do love him.  And as much as he has annoyed me over the years, I'm really going to miss him when he's gone.

8 years ago with the deeply missed Dakota

16 comments:

  1. So sorry you are going through this. I thought the same thing many times about my dog (and I was relieved every time he rebound, but also felt immense peace when I finally let him go). I will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, so sorry to hear this. As you may know I just went through this with my dog. It's so hard to know what's the right thing to do with our elderly pets. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heart goes out to you. 18 years is a good long life for a cat. How lucky for you both to have had each other for so long. I hope you're both able to find peace & comfort. Sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I had a pain-in-the-ass (but also so sweet) black and white cat who passed away at about 18 years, too (in 2010). His last days were like the state your guy is in, but he really seemed to be in no pain, and he was still fairly cuddly -- I just couldn't decide for him that his time had come. In the end, he walked into the next room and died naturally. I hope that whichever way Vagus ends his days will give you peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I put Levi dog down at age 14 last summer, he probably could have gone on for a few more months. But he was in pain (tooth infections) and he dribbled pee on his dog bed, and mostly just slept. My vet was supportive of my decision, telling me I was being kind not to let him feel worse and worse. For me, the anticipation and having to make the decision was far harder than actually doing it. And yes, I felt relief not to be dealing with the pee anymore. Don't feel guilty about that. Hope the vet can help you make the decision - they deal with this all the time. And yes, 18 is a wonderfully long life. Hugs to you. It's hard to say goodbye :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture where Finn and Vagus are the same size!

    It sounds like you & I are going through some similar things these days. My parakeet is improving. It sounds like Vagus has had a very long life, but I'm sure this is hard for you after he's been with you for so long. It is hard to have mixed feelings about it, too, because I imagine you feel bad for the relief you might feel.

    Anyway, I hope whatever happens, he doesn't die while you're away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful cat. You have given him such a wonderful life and I know that any decision will be a difficult one. I am sending positive thoughts in your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sweet photos! And I love his name.

    I think I would take him to the vet before you go away so you're not worrying while you are away. Not that you should put him down, just to have more info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw. Those pictures are precious.

    My parents' cat was a little younger and was having similar symptoms. He was sick though. For a cat that was also a pain in the ass, my parents were very patient with him when his time came and missed him greatly.

    I understand your position and know it's never an easy one. As a pet owner, we know it's short-term, but it's always heartbreaking when the inevitable arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We faced a similar situation with a 17 year old dog last year. Thankfully, he passed in his sleep one morning as we were playing the should we/shouldn't we game. It's such a tough call. I hope your kitty goes on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let me just say that it is VERY obvious how much you love Vagus!

    We are going through som similar things with our cat, Lily, and I have had some of the same feelings. I wonder, what is it I really want for her? I want as many moments as I can have with her before she is in pain. My goal is to simply decide for her when the time is right.

    I would take Vagus to the vet before your trip. It would be awful to lose him while you're away.

    Thinking of you. I'm so sorry this is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Shannon - this hit a nerve, as my 20 year old car is currently at the vet for her second night on a drip. They are pretty happy with her progress, but still it makes it hard. She also has been peeing all over the place, and pooing now in all sorts of spots. She lost 10% of her body weight, but she is responding to treatment. They get old really quickly... here is hoping Vagus has a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 18 years? God bless.

    I hate that we can never know how our pets feel when they are sick. It's terrible. Makes you feel so helpless.

    I wish Vagus the very best. Poor baby

    PS: our cats try to flee the babies and they aren't even mobile yet, uh oh

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm completely a cat person….and adore these pictures of Finn with Vagus….so sweet. It's so hard when they get older….my last cat lived to 19, my current cat is 12….

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about Vagus' declining health. It's so hard, even when they're pains in the ass. I had a cat that attacked people and was so vicious he was put on amitryptiline, and it was still so hard when he got cancer and had to be put down. I hope Vagus is able to make a turnaround!

    ReplyDelete