Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pretending to be in Control

Is it normal to feel like every last bit of your life is out of your control when you have a one year old?  I guess it probably is.  I know that we never really have control over our lives, but sometimes the illusion might be nice.

I have made a little progress lately.  I took a day off seeing patients last week and got about 2/3 of my backlog of charts finished, and had a few meetings that should lead to better things with our electronic medical records system.  While I'm still behind, I don't feel like it's impossible to ever catch up - and I've made enough changes that I won't get that far behind again, either.  So that's a huge thing.

My weight and overall physical well being is something I've talked about here before - mainly how much I've let it go this past year.  I used to work out with a trainer twice a week (even while pregnant, my last session with my trainer was when I was 37 weeks) and run or something cardio 2-4 days the rest of the week.  Eating healthy has never been my strong suit, but there was a time where I all but completely eliminated fast food from my diet.  I'm pretty sure I would feel better, and more in control, if I would work on getting healthy again.  The fact that I'm going to try to get pregnant sometime in the not too distant future is another huge incentive.

I'm putting it down in writing here, so that I'll have a tangible reminder of what my plans are.  You all have my permission to kick my ass if I don't stick to it this time!

My health goals:

  • walk at least 3 days a week, but ideally 5
  • NO MORE fast food - period
  • cut back down to one caffeinated Diet Coke a day and one caffeine free - water the rest of the day
  • 8 servings of fruits and veggies a day - this one may take me a few weeks to work up to, as it's going to be my hardest
  • once I'm a little more caught up at work, maybe by the end of June, will start doing a yoga or strength training DVD 2-3 times a week after Finn has gone to sleep
I know I can do this.  I need to do it to be healthy, and I know it will help my fertility.

******

Weaning update:

Last night Finn took a 5 ounce bottle at bedtime and didn't nurse.  He then woke at 1am, refused the bottle, nursed a little and went back to sleep (in my bed).  He woke at 4am, refused the bottle again, and whined and fussed to nurse.  I let him latch on for a couple of minutes, then tried to switch it out for the bottle.  That didn't work, and I didn't let him latch back on.  He cried a little, but mainly just fussed and tossed and turned.  He finally fell back to sleep around 5:30, and then slept until 9:30 - over two hours past his usual wake up time!  I don't feel engorged at all, which confirms that those last sessions in the early morning hours really have been more comfort nursing than anything else.  

Going to bed the past two nights has been rough.  It took him an hour last night with some crying.  Tonight was much worse.  He doesn't want me to leave the room, or even go across the room to the chair, and when I do he screams bloody murder.  I get it, I really do.  He hasn't had to fall asleep by himself his entire life, and now I'm asking him to fall asleep in his crib, and he wants me close by.  But tonight he wouldn't lie down even when I was sitting next to the crib, and it was maddening.  He stood in the crib crying, "mama mama" and would occasionally throw his pacifier at me and cry even harder.  After an hour I had to leave the room to put laundry in so I wouldn't be up all night washing clothes, and then he really screamed.  He finally fell asleep after that episode, since it was so long that I was out of the room, but even then I had to stand over the crib and rub his back to calm him down.

I'm not ready to do cry it out.  I may eventually, but not right now, while we're dealing with the emotions of weaning.  But I really wish he'd at least fall asleep a little faster with less drama while I'm in the room.  He can do it - he did it today at naptime for me - asleep in less than 15 minutes.  

And now I need to go to bed, in case we have another repeat of last night since this time I won't be able to sleep until 9:30, even if he does.

14 comments:

  1. It's looking like we have some very similar goals right now! I'll kick your ass if you kick mine!

    Good luck to us both

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same goals, with being healthier and with the sleeping :) Difference of course is my son is 2 1/2... yes I know... but I can't let him cry. And he can talk now. So I'll say, do waht you have to and what feels right in that regard, no advice lol.
    When Jackson started solids I was really good about making healthy things and never doing fast food, but with life so rushed it's so often easier to grab something when you are both tired and hungry. Planning is key of course, but even the best laid plans don't always work out.
    Good luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your evening and mine sounded like we were living parallel lives. I can certainly sympathize with how hard this is for you. It's great that you have made some goals. Do you prepare lunch for yourself each day, or do you but at work? I find it's much easier to stay healthy to pre-make lunch and prepackage snacks. Good luck. I also worked out 5-7 days per week before having Scarlett....that is a long time in my past now...before T42, I was doing small bits of exercise in my home in the early morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never did cry it out. We had a 20 minute limit. In our case, it's because it always backfired. She throws up if she cries any longer, and for selfish reasons, we don't want to have to change bedding.

    You just have to find a new routine. Not that it's as easy as it sounds. "They" always said it takes 2 weeks for new behavior to turn into a routine, but it's a long 2 weeks.

    Sympathies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I can be glad for that Elena may have HFM is that she's been exhausted come bed time...the last few weeks it has been hour long marathos before she'll fall asleep & twice I fell asleep before she did & woke with a start after midnight with her asleep...hope it gets better...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the goals!! I have been trying to be active but can't seem to find the time. I used to sneak out during work but that has picked up. And I had to give up walking to/from daycare because of when we have to get home to get the bedtime routine going. In January, I worked with a nutrionist to eat better and that really helped. I am down to my pre-pregnancy weight.

    Let me know, I can send you a bunch of recipes she gave me or approved. I am ALL about the quick recipes that can be made ahead or make alot so there are plenty of leftovers!!

    I don't know if this helps but was at a loss as to how to get Elsie to sleep through the night, I spoke with a child thearpist at Elsie's day care. She recommended feeding Elsie solid food about 1-2 hours before bedtime. (Thus why we are no longer walking home... it ate into the 1-2 hours.) So right when we get home, I give her diced cheese and some diced fruit. And that seemed to do the trick. She has been sleeping through the night for about a month minus a couple nights where teething pain woke her up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your health goals are awesome and doable. I'll try to follow along because they really make sense for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really feel for you. My son and I went through the same thing, but I wasn't brave enough to completely end co-sleeping until he was 18 months. Now he sleeps from 8:30pm to 7:30am. I'm a changed woman! All the things that can be accomplished during that time. Laundry, dishes, tv shows, emails, work out, 8 hours of sleep, etc. You'll get there too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon, did you try The Sleepeasy Solution? I'm trying it out at the moment and there are some really interesting tips in it. I've read tons of baby books and this is the only one so far that is making sense to me. It's a modified version of cry it out ... not all the way there but enough that they say he'll sleep through the night after the 4th night. Might be worth a try. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with all that! One thing that really helped me with making food changes when I started my elimination diet a few months ago, was to have a couple healthy alternatives that I loved that I could ALWAYS turn to. For awhile I was going to a bento place for lunch at least 3x a week - it was easy, totally tasty, and on my diet (big bowl of rice and veggies with a yummy sauce). I also love some of Amy's Kitchen frozen meals so always have them on hand.

    My big challenge right now, which I am determined to address soon, is finding time to exercise. And I agree with you on the utter chaos that life with a 1 year old is! I think 12-18 months is the hardest time in a lot of ways - they are so mobile but you can't yet reason with them or trust them! I think life with 1 and 3 year olds is going to kick my ass.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I'm going to be one of those annoying people that gives tips on what has worked for me in the eating healthy department. My problem was calorie count. I eat out a lot and restaurant calories are insane when you look them up. I've started buying the fresh pre-made meals here. In Texas we have My Fit Foods among others and I think there are places like it that are popping up nationwide. But the meals are filling, healthy, and portion controlled. I love to cook but find that when I do, I eat too much. So by eating pre-made meals, I can't go back for seconds. So far I've lost 3 pounds and I've been doing it for 2 weeks. Just throwing that out there as it would be an easy way to help with your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. X and I are currently cosleeping. He goes down in his crib at the beginning of the night, I run around the house like a chicken with my head cut off trying to clean get ready for the next day, then when he wakes up around 10:30 or 11 pm, I bring him to bed with me. Kind of struggling with the eating all night part of this, but lately, I've been trying to keep him from doing that. Plus, I'm going back to work next week, and hoping this keeps me from being too sleep deprived. I do hope eventually I can leave him in the crib all night, but I do love having him close.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the health-related goals... I wish I were so dedicated! I've never been good at exercising... But good for you for getting back in the game!

    I hope Finn starts sleeping better soon. The sleep deprivation is easily my biggest fear and concern, because I do NOT function well on lack of sleep! If you figure out something that works, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Obviously I can't offer much advice on the latter, but I will do my best to help with the butt kicking. I need the same. I'm not giving up my FF taco salad though. I will send up prayers for the bedtime and weaning. Love you both so much.

    Xoxo,
    JL

    ReplyDelete