![]() |
| View out my kitchen window - minus the bird who was at the feeder two seconds before I took the picture |
Summer solstice.
It was a perfect summer night. The sun was setting on a hot day, with the smell of gardenias drifting on the breeze and fireflies dancing alongside us. All that was missing was the summer sounds of cicadas and kids playing.
Do kids really not play outside anymore? I could understand them all being inside when I was getting home, around 9:15, but at 8:20 there was still plenty of light. It's the time of day that seems perfect to be outside with friends, hoping Mom will let you stay out just 5 more minutes.
Finn is now sound asleep in his crib and I feel great after my walk. Only 7700 steps today, but I feel so good now that even if I don't get my 10,000 steps every day I think I'll be happy doing this walk most nights. It was so much better than a screaming baby for 20 minutes. It's possible I might even sleep really well tonight. Though I do love the idea of putting the pedometer on Finn! I did do our usual bedtime routine before putting him in the stroller, and will take Tiara's suggestion and still have several evenings a week that he goes to sleep in his crib, not on a walk.
A few random things:
Blissful Mama asked a few posts ago about why I wasn't going to TTC while still nursing. I'm pretty sure the title of my last post answered that question for the most part - it looks like I'm one of the ones who won't have a period until the baby is weaned. Also, my RE said he was concerned the meds I will be taking wouldn't be as effective if I was still breastfeeding while taking them.
Speaking of breastfeeding - still managing to avoid it. Yay Finn!
Ann recommended the book Donuts for Nan - about a little girl is told that she can't participate in Donuts for Dad at school because she doesn't have a dad. I'd never heard of it before, but I'm going to order it. There aren't many good books out there for kids of single parents, so I wanted to be sure everyone saw that recommendation! I'm definitely ordering it tonight.
Finally, thank you for all the thoughtful comments on my post about AnonymousUs.org and the "study" about how how donor conceived children are unhappy. While those of us who have children via ADI are certainly biased as well, your comments made it clear that our bias comes from our own careful research and personal experience, not from a nebulous idea that something is inherently bad or good.













Beautiful picture! I love summer solstice, too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for responding to my question - I did pick up on the cycle day 693 thing too. Hope AF shows soon (funny to be wishing her to come for a change).
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about the Father thing too. I got lucky in that we have a great donor who is also daddy, he is fab and I would never want to replace him - BUT the other thing I like to remember is that I might not always be single!!! It is just possible that we might meet someone decent who could end up being 'like a father' to our kids. Biology just made it so that we needed to have kids before we found him!
That sounds really lovely, Shannon. Glad it's helping a bit with the night sleep! I wish Tiny Boy would knock out in the stroller more regularly.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good walk...I'm tempted to try with Elena since I miss our evening walks that we just don't have time for but since she's never fallen asleep in the stroller, ever, I'm afraid it wouldn't work for us.
ReplyDeleteI've tried to order the Donuts for Nan book several times but can't seem to, must be 'cause I'm in Canada. :( I have compiled a nice little stash of books that are puposely or inadvertently about single parenting. I really should do a post...
I bought Donuts for Nan too. Like Tiara, I have a stash of books just waiting for my boys to want to "talk". (But they're boys, and seem more interested in cars and Legos!)
ReplyDeleteDoes that bird feeder stay up? Seems like a good solution to our squirrel problem!
I finally caught up, so sorry I've neglected you :( Though so glad you have so many other people replying to every post :) Wow he has gotten sooo big (older) and I'm so glad that he gets good news at every dr appt. Sorry you have to deal with all the work crap, glad you moved into a place that gives you room to grow :) thanks for sharing all of your experiences as you go!!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteUgh...what happened? Anyway...
ReplyDeleteI'm super impressed you can transfer Finn from the stroller to the crib at this age. Really impressed. Tate was way closer to 2 before I could do that. And I only had a couple of successes such that I'm really gun-shy now :)
Kids don't play outside here that much from what I can tell. Then again my information is skewed as I live in the city. But there is one main reasons I don't take Tate out in the evenings even at almost 3 years old when a quick ride on his bike might be fun, now that he goes to bed a bit later..
MOSQUITOS!!!! They are horrible!! Absolutely horrible. My neighbors and I are always rushing our kids into the house because being outside for even a minute or two is highly unpleasant. Now I do see older kids, and by older I mean like 12 and up out on their bikes riding around, but they're 12. You can't tell a 12 year old anything about anything, so let them get eaten alive! I know many neighborhoods spray, but then you've got all that nasty chemical stuff out and about...what to do? However, again...the burbs might be different in the amount of kids out here in Houston.
But I also think many more kids are in organized activities these days. They're over-scheduled and over-worked. From baseball to swim team to soccer, you name it...there is always some practice or game or meet even in the summer. At least here. There is minimal play time. And this starts as young as 3 for the soccer business and t-ball. And it's usually after work so the working parents can go.
Just my musings. Take them for what they're worth. :)
ReplyDelete
Just wanted to note that I got my first period since conception when Butterfly was 14 (exactly on the day :-) ) months old.
ReplyDelete@ Tiara - I'd love if you could write that post!!