Saturday, August 13, 2011

Yesterday and The Plan

Yesterday morning we had to be at the hospital at 7am.  Because I'm a doctor at our hospital, we got special treatment:  instead of having to wait in the radiology waiting room and then get moved to a room, they admitted Finn directly to a room on the pediatric floor, so my parents and I had a comfortable place to wait.  Of course, radiology was behind, so Finn started to get hungry and sleepy around his usual 8am time.  My mom shocked me by being able to rock Finn to sleep, so when they came to get him for MRI he was sound asleep.  I held him and was wheeled in a wheelchair down to MRI, and met with the anesthesia team and the radiology techs before they took him from me and I was sent back upstairs.  Lucky for me he was still snoozing when I walked out of the room, so that was easier than I expected.

Charles, the radiology tech, had told me it might be about 1-2 hours total, and when it had been over an hour, he called up to tell me there'd be a delay and so they were just getting started.  Then an hour later he called again and said they were only halfway through the scan, and Finn's IV had infiltrated again, so they were behind.  Finally, around 12:30-1 Charles called and said they were done, and that it wouldn't be long before they were bringing Finn upstairs.  From the tone in his voice, and the fact that he didn't give me that, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but everything looks good" that radiology techs often do, I knew they'd found something.

My parents waited around with me for a while, but then I decided to send them off to my sister's.  I love my parents, but they aren't really who I want with me when I'm anticipating bad news; I decided I'd rather be alone.  I got the call sometime after 3pm from the ophthalmologist - there's a 1.4 x 1 cm tumor near the spine that is extending to the top of the lung (but not in the lung) and a few other weird tiny millimeter sized spots in the spleen and kidney.  Within an hour a transfer to the Children's Hospital (the smaller one, that's not a teaching hospital, for the locals out there) was arranged.

Right after I got the news I called my sister, who made plans to meet us at the hospital, and then I called LB who did the same.  Then I called Lisa, another good friend who works at my hospital, and she dropped everything to come be with me.  In the midst of all this, my office manager Michelle texted me to find out how we were, and when she heard the news she headed over to be with us, too.  Michelle and Lisa decided I probably shouldn't be driving (which, in retrospect was a good decision), so Michelle drove my car to the Children's Hospital, while Lisa followed behind.  They stayed with us in the room until Jamie got there, and helped keep Finn entertained and keep me calm.

LB showed up a while later with Diet Cokes, milkshakes and sandwiches, and just after she got here, the pediatric oncologist came in (it doesn't seem right, needing a pediatric oncologist).  Dr. B is wonderful.  She is very optimistic and upbeat - in infants, neuroblastoma has a very high cure rate, and she stressed to me that I need to be optimistic, too.  LB is an ob/gyn, so she took notes and asked all the questions that I couldn't think to ask right then, but would have wondered about later, and Jamie played with Finn and tried to listen in as much as she could while she talked.  I don't think I would have managed to make it through last night without them here.

There are tons of possibilities as to what we'll do to treat this, but first we have to know exactly how extensive it is.  He had blood work last night - of course it was right after he fell asleep that they came to get it, but after the trauma of all the IVs they wanted the best of the best to draw his blood, and she got it in one stick.  He's already had a chest x-ray this morning, he will have an ultrasound to look at those questionable things in his abdomen sometime today, and Monday they'll send out urine to test for hormones made by neuroblastoma tumors.  We're probably going to be staying here for the week while they do other tests - he'll be getting a test called an MIBG later this week; neuroblastoma tumors light up with an MIBG, so that should give us a lot of information, and he may also get a bone marrow biopsy at the same time.

Once we have all that information, we'll decide on what to do next.

Finn is currently getting his usual morning nap in, and I'm thinking that while he's asleep is a good time to have a good, hard cry.

44 comments:

  1. Oh Shannon, I am just catching up with this news and I am so sorry to read of what you are going through. It sounds like it is lucky that you are a doctor and were able to check for this possibility early on. The early diagnosis has to work in your favour. Thinking of you and Finn.

    Love and healing thoughts from across the pond xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I can't believe this is happening - as I'm sure you can't. I'm not a religious person, but I'll be praying hard for Finn, just in case someone out there is listening. I know that many others will be doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shannon. I'm so sorry. This is not what I was expecting (and I know it's not what you were expecting...). You are so strong, and that's a wonderful thing for you and for Finn. It sounds like you are surrounded by love and support... but if you need anything... please ask!!! Sending out lots of love & prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am so shocked to hear this news. I am so sorry you are going through this and Finn sounds like he is already a brave little boy. I have been praying for you both. I agree that Finn is a lucky boy to have such a smart Mommy. I am glad you have such wonderful supportive friends and medical staff to help you both. Wish there was more I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Shannon, I can't imagine the devastation and fear you must be feeling as a mother. I'm so sorry to hear about Finn. It is so unfair that you and Finn have to endure this. My heart is aching for you and your poor little boy. I know the road ahead will be hard, but I am think and praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon I am so very sorry. My stomach is in my throat just reading this. I can promise you that my thoughts are with you 100 percent. Love to you and sweet Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, my thoughts and prayer are with you and Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts & prayers are with you & Finn. I'm glad you have such supportive friends & family with you right now. My mind is reeling with this news, I can only imagine how you're feeling. Stay strong & positive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear all this. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain to us what is going on. I know for sure that many many people out there will be saying lots of prayers for you and Finn. I for one had no idea how long it takes to have an MRI and how complicated everything sounds. I have to admit that I am extremely shocked that anything like this could be happening. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Shannon, I am so sorry to hear this. You and sweet Finn are in my thoughts. So glad you have such wonderful people around you.

    -Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  11. The prayers continue to flow your way, Shannon. I am so happy you have such a strong support system. They will be your lifeline. Lean on them.

    Many hugs,

    FM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shannon, I'm so sorry. This wasn't the news you were hoping for, though I suspect it's something you knew intuitively. I'm praying for you and Finn and am thankful you have so much support around both of you. I wish I could do more, but I will pray.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Shannon, I'm just catching up on your blog now. How absolutely terrifying! You and Finn are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you don't mind that I've told some very good friends about you two. They belong to prayer circles and will always add those who need extra support even if it is from very far away. I'm glad to know you've got great support with your family and friends behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart goes out to you and Finn. I am praying and sending hopeful thoughts.
    I'm so sad this is happening. :-( And I'm thinking that discovering things soon and getting on top of treatment right away raised that already high cure rate all the more. hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will continue to pray for you and Finn and for your support system. You are a very strong woman and having Finn is proof enough of that. I believe everything is going to be alright. I do not know why this is happening, but you will both make it through. Have your cry and get it out of your system - as many times as you need to. And lean on those around you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry! I am sending good and healing vibes to Finn and yourself. Use your support team as that's what they are they for. Hugs to you and Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shannon, I am constantly thinking about you and Finn. I can't imagine how scared you are and I wish I could do something for you. I think about poor Finn being poked and prodded and it breaks my heart. But I am being optimistic!! :) I will be praying for Finn, for you, for the medical people and for all your family and friends who are there for you. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My heart is crying for both of you. You shouldn't have to go through this. I'm really glad you have a strong support system.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shannon, I don't know what to say. I just hope the doctors will get the job done and you will have a healthy Finn in your arms soon. I will be thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Shannon!

    I'm so glad you have your people around you, shoring you up.

    Finn is SO VERY LUCKY to have you as his mommy. The fact that you caught this so early will certainly help him.

    I've been thinking about you guys a ton. Thank you for taking the time to update us.

    sending hugs and strength through these hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shannon, I am SO sorry this is happening, but I am glad that both your maternal instincts and your medical training told you to check it out. I'm praying that the early diagnosis and treatment will mean that it goes well and will soon be a painful blip of a memory for you. I will keep you and Finn and all of your family- biological and choice- in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love you both. We are here for you no matter what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds like you have a great support team in real life and in your virtual life. We're all thinking of you and Finn and hoping for the best possible outcome.

    {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Shannon. My heart is aching for you. Please know that you have us all by your side.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will continue to pray for the best possible outcome. Love to you and Finn.

    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shannon, I am so sorry to read this. I hope that Finn makes a very fast recovery. I am so glad you have a great support group with you and Finn is in wonderful hands. Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you. My thoughts are with you and Finn.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gah, I'm just sick with worry for you and Finn reading this. I don't even know what to say. I can't even imagine how you're staying sane through all of this. Given the circumstances, you're in the best position anyone could hope for and you have the best support. You have a lot going for you, which makes all the difference and I'm sure everything will turn out okay. It's just going to be a bumpy road for the time being. My heart goes out to you and Finn and we're sending heaps of good juju your way.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been thinking about you guys so much since I read your post yesterday. I'm sending all my good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so sorry Shannon, this is just awful and unfair. Please, please keep in mind that babies are incredible little healers - they are so strong and resilient. Take one day at a time. Take care of yourself - eat and sleep as much as possible. Let your family and friends do anything and everything to help. You and Finn are going to get through this. He's so lucky to have such a loving, proactive, knowledgeable Mama. Thinking of you both and sending strength and healing wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The prayers are continuing to flow. Lean on us when you need to. We are here for you. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system right there with you. Love to you and Finn.

    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  31. (((( hugs )))) The both of you are in my thoughts and prayers. My heart is breaking reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Still praying for you & Finn. Thank God for the beautiful friends you have in your life as well who can be there for you in times of need.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so glad you have a good support team, and I am also glad the Dr. is optimistic. I am still stunned and I can't imagine what you must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Finn, and sending you both a huge virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I’m so sorry, Shannon. My thoughts and prayers are with Finn, you, and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shannon, I am so sorry to hear that your baby is having to go through this; that YOU are having to go through this. Thank God you were aware enough to get him tested/ screened quickly! I will be praying for you all - you and FInn, your family, your support system and the medical team that will save your precious boy!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I dropped what I was holding when I read your post title and I am sitting here absolutely sick and so so upset. I can't express how shocked and sorry i am. Please know I am praying and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have had limited connection and saw this and had to post and say we are praying for you both and the doctors that will help heal Finn. Thankfully you caught something most wouldn't and he's able to get great and immediate care and you have amazing friends around you. Many people are praying for you both!

    Masha (rainingsunshine)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh hon, I'm so sorry. You and your sweet boy are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Shannon, I'm so sorry to read this. You and Finn are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Hugs,
    Sari

    ReplyDelete
  40. Shannon,

    The whole family is thinking and praying for you and Finn. We're always here for you - please let us know if you need anything.

    Love,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh Mama, I'm so sorry that you and Finn are having to go through this. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm just happy that you have such wonderful friends and family that can and want to do whatever they can to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm so very glad you had the knowledge and training to catch this early. In your first post, I got the impression that the tumor was IN the lungs...I'm so relieved that is not the case. Hoping and praying that the ultrasound and the other tests show that it is just one mass that can be removed. I'm horrified and in shock that this is happening to Finn, but as your oncologist said, optimism is definitely warranted here. I'm sure you know this already, but my friend works in a lab where they study neuroblastomas, and she was telling me a recessive mutation is seen in all cases..if your donor is still active, maybe the bank should be told :(

    Waiting for more news, and I'm praying very hard
    for you.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Even though Finn does not deserve to be going through this, it sounds like he is in the best hands. You are both surrounded by a wonderful team of doctors and nurses who will do everything to heal him. Your family and friends are there for you. Continue to lean on them (and us!) for strength and support to get you through this.
    Positive thoughts and prayers of strength and quick recovery to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So so sorry to read this - sending you both strength and positive thoughts. xx

    ReplyDelete