Friday, August 19, 2011

We're Home!

FinnWe are home for the weekend - we got home yesterday afternoon, and I am so happy to be here. Finn and I slept last night from 10:30 until 7:45 this morning, just waking a few times for lazy feeding, but otherwise not moving at all, it was just what we needed after a week of horrible hospital sleep. Finn was gone for hours for his tests on Wednesday. I took him down for his MRI at 6:30 (he loves riding in my lap in the wheelchair); the anesthesiologist saw us waiting and said, "Is this the baby for the MRI?" I said yes and he said, "The baby with CANCER for the MRI?" and again I said yes. "The baby with the neuroblastoma for the MRI?" Seriously? "Yes!" "Wow, he's looks really healthy." Thanks.

 I almost started to cry when I left him, especially when I bent down to kiss him and he grabbed my head and gave me a big open mouthed kiss in response, but I managed to hold it together until I was out of his sight, and then I cried. The wait for him to get his MRI, his MIGB and his bone marrow biopsy was endless, but it helped to have NannyM (as she's now calling herself!) and my sister Jamie waiting with me. It was sometime after noon before I got the call from recovery; I could hear him crying in the background as the nurse asked me to please come down there right away. She couldn't calm him down, and didn't know if he was in pain from the bone marrow biopsy or just hungry. He did calm down once I was there, but still was very disoriented and upset. We decided it was just hunger and post-anesthesia confusion that was making him so upset, and they let us go back to our room, which helped more than anything. The rest of the day was quiet; once Finn woke up we went outside for a little bit. By bedtime, Finn was happy again.

Thursday was much faster, he was to be done with his scan in less than an hour, so I waited in the surgery waiting room for him. I heard my name called from the doorway and looked up to see a nurse holding Finn, who looked drowsy, but smiled at me as soon as I got close to him. He was almost 100% within an hour - so much better than Wednesday.

Here's all the good news from the tests:
 The MRI showed no other tumors
The MIBG was negative
The bone marrow biopsy was negative

All GREAT news! The tumor causing the Horner's appears to be the only tumor, so if the surgeon can get it all, then it's a cure and Finn won't need chemo. This is such wonderful and amazing news, especially since the initial news last Friday made it sound like he had tumors everywhere. I'm so thankful for all the good thoughts and prayers for Finn this week; I'm not sure how I would have made it through the past week without them. Thank you all for such wonderful support.

His surgery is scheduled for Monday. We have to go back to the hospital on Sunday night, and then Finn has to go without eating from 7:30am until his surgery at 1:30. I'm worried about how he's going to do with that, I'm scared about the surgery, and I'm so worried about how much pain he's going to be in after surgery. But right now I'm managing to mostly focus on just loving him, so he's happy, well rested and prepared for surgery.

52 comments:

  1. I am so thankful for such wonderfully positive news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great news Shannon! Enjoy tonight!

    Miss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is such a relief to read. You are handling this so well. And Finn is such a champ! Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m so relieved to hear the news, Shannon. That's wonderful! I'm glad that you and Finn get to "rest up" at home before his surgery. He looks so healthy and happy in his pictures; he is such a trooper for enduring all the exams! My thoughts are with you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so wonderful to hear!!!! I'm sure the good news has been a huge relief to you. I know that the upcoming surgery is another tough hurdle for you, but with such a positive outlook, it may just be the very last hurdle you have to jump through to get your baby healthy. Here's to more good news in the coming days!

    - Tashia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful news! Just fabulous! So happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God!! We will continue to pray for more positives for you and your sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's such great news! I've been thinking about you both all week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shan, this is Grapecrush from the FT site. I heard your news about Finn and wanted to extend my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like he is going to make a terrific recovery and won't even remember any of this a year from now, but I know this must be just agonizing for you. Try to just sleep, nurture, and play this weekend, and know that you have a lot of people pulling for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank goodness that there is just the one tumour. After I wrote that I realised how ridiculous it sounds... there shouldn't even be one tumour in a baby... but small miracles. I pray that his surgery goes well and you have your happy little boy back to 100% in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Shannon - what wonderful news! I am soooo glad you are home for the weekend! Snuggle in with that beautiful boy. Based on his track record, your little trooper is going to do great with the surgery, and just think, there is a wonderful chance that the tumor will be totally GONE on Monday!

    And, that anesthesiologist is an idiot! Reminds me of Fiona's surgeon who said the most insensitive things all the time. As one short example, he said "don't stress out!" to me on the day that her peritoneal dialysis stopped working and they planned to medi-flight her to Portland to attempt hemodialysis. Like you said- SERIOUS? My friend who was with me turned to me and said "I'll hold him down and you kick him!"

    Continuing to send all possible good wishes, health, vibes, thoughts and prayers your way...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay!!!!! I've been thinking about you both, and I'm so so happy to hear this news! I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers Finn's way on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you got the best news you could. I will be thinking of you and wishing those surgeons get every last bit of that sucker!! (As an infant, my cousin's son had a brain cancer that is almost always fatal, but because they were able to get the whole tumor he is now a healthy kindergartner)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news!! Have a wonderful weekend and we'll be hoping for an easy, successful surgery Monday and a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad the tests turned up some good news!!! Finn looks happy about it too, what a cute pic!! Now I'll be hoping that the surgery goes well and that they get all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Relieved for the good news. I was on pins and needles.

    Praying that Monday is a huge success and that it's just a tiny blip on a long healthy life for Finn.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I am so happy the news is so very good. And I'm sure his surgery will go well! We will be thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to know that the test results turned out fine. I hope things go well with the surgery. Stay strong.

    I'm a new visitor to your blog by the way. I've had my share of fertility battles in the past as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad the scans went so well! I'll be thinking of the two of you on Monday. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shannon - I'm so happy for the good news. Shedding some happy tears as I read this. whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great news!! I hope all goes well on Monday. I will be thinking of you and Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so glad, Shannon. You and Finn have been on my mind frequently this week. It does sound like he is a little trouper. I'm going to pray that on Monday the surgeon has the skill to get all of the tumour. Then our boy will be able to skip all the rest of the procedures. Thinking of you and wishing there were something I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well Finn is a little rock star already with everything he's gone through, so I agree with the person up above who said that he is going to do great with the surgery. I truly believe this. I have folks asking me all week how he is doing, so many people are praying for you all, all over the place. Enjoy your time at home and stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad all the other tests came back negative. I'll be thinking of you both on Monday. Still sending lots of prayers your way.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  25. So happy for the good news! I'm really glad they let you go home, too. And your nanny sounds awesome, btw, being there to support you and Finn.

    Hope the good news keeps coming!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad for all the positive news!

    We will be thinking of you and praying for all good things, especially with the surgery.

    hugs,

    Abby and little Calliope!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is great news. Get plenty of rest this weekend. Everything will be fine on Monday... will be thinking of you and Finn. Lots of hugs and love for Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so glad you're home for a couple days. It must feel like a vacation after a week in the hospital.

    Kids are resilient. He'll bounce back fast and I'm sure they will keep him comfortable after surgery. It really is good news and hopefully surgery will be the only thing to overcome on the road to recovery.

    I don't pray but you and Finn are in my thoughts and I'll be doing my best to send positive energy on Monday and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sweetheart, that's wonderful news! I've been sending up prayers for you and Finn since your first post and I'm just so thrilled that he's on his way to being 100%. Everything will go smoothly and he'll grow up to be a big, strong man, I'm sure of it. Hugs to you and the little man.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is fantastic news! I'm so glad that all Finn's tests came back negative. I'm so relieved. But I'm sure it doesn't compare to the relief you're feeling. Sending you so much hugs and continued prayers for an uneventful surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so happy that you're both home and getting good sleep. That's such great news too! I hope it's enough good news for you to relax this weekend and get rested up. You and Finn are never far from my thoughts. My hopes and prayers for Monday are for a flawless surgery and a quick and complete recuperation for Finn and you.

    Hugs to you both,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hooray! So glad things are looking up. And kudos to you for catching it so early - I'm sure it made all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm sure you've never been so happy to hear the word "negative" for your sweet little boy (how does he manage to always look perfectly adorable?!)
    I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Shannon, what a relief. I've been thinking about you and Finn non-stop this week. He seems to be handling everything well, and you are doing much better than I think I ever could. I love reading how he has been loving up on you! I'm confident everything will go wonderfully on Monday, and I'm sure you'll be able to feel the power of the prayers that everyone who knows Finn's story will be saying for you both!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's wonderful to hear the great news. Still sending prayers that way for the duration (surgery, recovery and all).

    ReplyDelete
  36. So glad to hear this news. Thank God. I hope that everything continues to move in the most positive direction. Finn sounds so affectionate, what a little love!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such wonderful news, Shannon! I'm so, so happy for you to feel relief after such a stressful and scary week. I'll continue to pray for Finn.

    Love, SL

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such wonderful news, Shannon! Enjoy your weekend with Finn! We'll be thinking of you & Finn on Monday & know everything will go well. Before long this ordeal will be behind you...sending you positive thoughts & prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  39. So glad to hear you got such good news! You and Finn continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is HUGE!! So happy for you and Finn! Enjoy your weekend together--- I'm sure he's going to get lots of loving. Positive thoughts and prayers to you both tomorrow and for Finn's recovery. Remember, babies are so incredibly resilient. He will bounce back from this in record time.

    ReplyDelete
  41. So pleased to hear that it just one and that within 24 hours it will be gone! That's brilliant. WIll be thinking of you tonight and tomorrow, poor little Finn having to go without food for so long. If he is anything like my little guy that will be by far the worst part for him!

    Looking forward to hearing the post op story when it is all behind you.

    Much love from across the pond

    ReplyDelete
  42. Glad you're starting to get some good news! Thinking of you and hoping that everything goes well tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am so happy that you have finally gotten some good news! I can't imagine how hard this has been for you and Finn. I hope Finn's surgery goes well and you'll soon have a healthy baby back in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Came by after reading a post over at Jenny Beans. The good news you got is huge. Prayers to Finn and to you that surgery goes well and your baby boy is back to doing all the things babies are supposed to do!

    ReplyDelete
  45. That is GREAT news, indeed. How wonderful would it be if Finn can be cancer-free after tomorrow. (How unbelievable crazy it is to talk about Finn having cancer? This is all still so surreal.) I am praying so hard that all this is behind you soon. Much love, hon.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Good news! Praying for Finn's surgery tomorrow. Update when you can.
    Hugs,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hello. I am here from LFCA. Finn is so adorable! I just read through your last several posts and it is always so heartwrenching to read of such little innocent ones facing this type of diagnosis. I am praying for Finn and his doctors, that they will cure him. And for peace and strength for all of you. I am glad the prognosis is so positive. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Such AMAZING news Shannon!!! It's Monday right now about 1230pm my time; not sure what time zone you're in, but Finn may be in surgery right now. But in any event, I'm saying a prayer for him right now that the surgeons hands be swift, mighty and quick. And sending you lots of hugs to sustain you through these next few hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I know Finn should be back in surgery right about now. I'm thinking of you both, sending as much positive energy and prayers your way as humanly possible!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Tears streaming down my face....I'm so happy for the good news reports and that he's being such a trooper through all of this. Thinking of you and praying for you both!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thinking of sweet Finn today. Praying surgery is successful and he has a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh my goodness. I have been away from my reader and missed this. I am so so sorry that you are going through this. But happy the prognosis is so good. I am praying for the surgery to go well and for Finn to have a great recovery. Many, many hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete