 |
| Finn at 4 months |
Thanks to a series of unfortunate events, I'm still waiting to hear from Dr. Maris at CHOP. But I finally talked to Finn's oncologist today and at least have some new information. While she was waiting for Dr Maris, she sent Finn's information to another neuroblastoma expert, Dr. Parks in Seattle. Her recommendation was that we get another
biopsy, which would mean another big surgery for Finn. This is something that
Dr. Bolen had said might be necessary early on, but the surgeon said he
thought he'd gotten the best specimen he could (and the pathologists agreed it was a good sized specimen), and he didn't want to go back in, since it would mean trying to get tumor that was in a more delicate location.
I understand why Dr. Parks recommends
another biopsy. To start with, we still don't have an absolute definite diagnosis of neuroblastoma. But more than that - we don't know how aggressive a tumor it is, if it is a neuroblastoma. It's not unheard of to
just watch a neuroblastoma that hasn't spread yet in an infant, but in
all those cases they know that the cancer has what's called a "favorable
histology" - and we don't know if that's what Finn has. If we could do
another biopsy and it showed favorable histology, we'd know that just
watching was the right thing to do. And if comes back as "unfavorable
histology" we'd know he needed chemo, because that has a high risk of spreading.
But, on the other hand, the surgeon got 30%
of the tumor and it was all necrotic. What's not to say that the rest
of it is necrotic, too and that it really is dying on its own? I'd hate
to do another surgery if Finn doesn't really need it. And the oncologist agreed with me, but then went on to point out that we might be missing something by waiting. Her words, "I don't want to miss something, but at the same time I can't help but remember the golden rule of medicine 'First, do no harm.'" It's such a grey area, that it's hard to know what the right thing to do is. I just want someone to tell me what to do.
I really did not expect to get the opinion that other surgery was needed. I don't know why, but that was something I'd just put out of my mind. I was so thrown for a loop after talking to her this afternoon, I have no idea how I managed to get through the rest of the day seeing patients. I talked to my sister on my way home from work, and cried some while I did, which surprisingly did help me feel a little better.
Being in limbo sucks ass. I'm more upset and stressed out now than I was when we were in the hospital - I'm constantly filled with a sense of dread, I'm having horrible nightmares and a daily headache. I don't want to hear that Finn needs another surgery, or that he needs chemo, but at this point just knowing what needs to be done would be so much better than this constant state of anxious waiting.
I really hope Dr. Maris gets back to my oncologist soon. And then I hope we can quickly come up with a plan. The one thing I do know for sure is that if surgery is our next step, I'm taking Finn somewhere like Sloan-Kettering or CHOP for the surgery. I didn't feel the need to take him somewhere else for a second opinion on medical management, but if another surgery is needed, I really think taking him to a surgeon who the neuroblastoma experts use is the thing to do.