![]() |
| another jumping pic |
A few months ago, Kristie suggested in the comments to another post that I should listen to the audiobook The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting by Brené Brown. I will be forever grateful for that suggestion - for two reasons. The first is that it reintroduced me to the wonderful world of audiobooks. I spend an hour in the car every day, and audiobooks are the way to get at least a little reading back into my life.
The second is that I absolutely loved the book. This isn't a how-to book the way some parenting books are - instead it covers the concepts of what it takes to become a wholehearted person, someone who lives to their fullest potential, is resilient, compassionate and fully present. Brené Brown reads this, and is so enjoyable to listen to as she presents her 10 guideposts and uses examples from her own family life to illustrates her points.
This book spoke to me on so many levels, so much so that I had to listen to it twice. I didn't finish the book saying, "THIS is how I deal with Finn when he's being defiant," but I did finish the book saying, "Ok, his defiance is a good sign that he's developing the way he should." While I still struggle with how to deal with the defiance, I have learned how important it is to make sure he understands that he's not a bad boy when he behaves poorly, instead, he's a good boy making bad choices. I finished the book truly understanding the important lessons I need to teach my kids, as well as the importance of setting limits, and the importance of letting them struggle and fail.
I feel more confident in my gut instincts. And much more comfortable with my imperfections, as I better understand how my mistakes and missteps are part of my journey, and help my boys learn as they progress on theirs.
One thing I've come to realize is that growing as a mom also means I'm growing as a person in other parts of my life. And while right now I'm pretty much consumed by parenting and work, it won't always be that way. It can't always be that way. I loved this quote from her book, "Parenting is a journey. We do not forsake our journey for theirs." While I can't really apply this to my life today, I will be able to in a year or so. And I need to remember this.
I had planned on listening to another one of her books next, as I'd like to delve more deeply into the idea of wholehearted living. But then I stumbled across Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids by Dr. Laura Markham. And as I find my threats reflected back at me from Finn ("If you don't let me do this, I won't let you eat any rainbow cereal for breakfast!"), and find myself losing my temper more than I'd like, I think this will be my next book.
![]() |
| This kid loves his jumping pictures - I do, too |














That book sounds great – I'm glad you found it. I love the idea you passed on about actions being bad, not the kid. Awesome jumping picture!! :-)
ReplyDeleteI try to remind myself that pushing limits and being challenging is a good thing though it doesn't seem like it at the time. It shows kids limitations and consequences for their actions. The tricky part is going through with threats and being consistent. I've made a conscious effort not to threaten something I'm not going to follow through with which also helps me think before I speak. I've also been trying to work on positive reinforcement. It's so easy to be quick to punish or withhold, but positive reinforcements make everyone feel better. When I tell Laura to wait as I tend to the baby, I try to carve out some time just for her later for being patient. We had a nice lunch while the baby napped where we just talked or we'll go for a walk and I'll let her have a donut and I'll stress it's because she's been so great.
ReplyDeleteI too struggle with knowing what kind of woman I want to help Elena become but not knowing how to get her there. I have gotten so much out of Dr Laura Markham's blog & weekly emails. I am super aware of how I speak to Elena & what words I choose. I have really noticed a change for the better in our relationship. I'll have to check out Brene Brown too.
ReplyDeleteShannon....do you ever worry that Zach will have the same cancer that Finn had?
ReplyDeleteI love those photos!!!
ReplyDeleteI have found Laura Markham invaluable. I can't get all the way there, but I strive. Calliope and I are so much happier together when I'm working on her suggestions. She has gotten so much more cooperative. Not that there isn't room for growth on that front! But I've realized that when she is misbehaving, it's often (?usually) in reaction to something I've done -- she needs rest, or more food, or more time to acclimate to a new situation, or for me not to take out anxiety on her.
I started reading a Brene Brown book a while back - The Gifts of Imperfection. It was resonating with me but I haven't gotten too far into it. I should consider audio books perhaps. I always worried I wouldn't be able to pay attention to them when I was driving.
ReplyDeleteI struggle with the same issues. Thank you for the book tips. My little guy sometimes uses the same tone I just used or in his cute way says I'm naughty. It's cute but I also hope that he is getting more from me than do this don't do that. 3,2,1 - timeout time!
ReplyDelete"Parenting is a journey. We do not forsake our journey for theirs."
ReplyDeleteI thought of you (and this) last night when I had dinner with Alicia. Her kids are at sleepaway camp for a month (A MONTH!!!) and this is the first time she's had to herself in 11 years. She's realizing that she's different. She has different things she loves doing - or doesn't love doing - that's different than before. And while she missed the kids at first, she's come to realize how great this camp thing is - for her and for them. She gets to be just Alicia for a while, and the kids get to be "just kids" for a while. It's good for everyone.
So the journey is constant learning and growth and discovery. Things she didn't think she could do (sending the kids away for a month) has become a treasure trove of deep realizations, emotional gifts, and peace. Lots of peace. She's already put a few new rules in place to make the home peaceful again when they return (like "no bickering outside your bedrooms" rule). It's been fascinating to watch the transformation take place. I hope it sticks! And I know that you'll have many different journeys like this too. Starting with tomorrow. xoxo