![]() |
| pre-MRI selfie |
We had a new anesthesiologist - a young guy just out of training who was relaxed and easy-going with Finn, introducing himself as Matt with a fist bump for Finn and a smile for me. Finn adamantly refused to even consider drinking the Versed - he remembered the "yucky medicine" from a few scans ago and was having none of it. He was clearly nervous, so Matt tried to talk him into it, but Finn was having none of it. But - for the first time - I was allowed to come back into the MRI room with Finn. I carried him in and held him while they told him it was time for his astronaut mask and brought it to his face. And that's when he shocked us all by absolutely freaking out. Screaming, kicking - he was having none of it. We struggled for a minute (as I got whiffs of the gas - yuck), and then I turned him around in my lap so his back was against me and I could hold his arms down. He still screamed and cried, but was asleep in seconds.
The nurse (who we know well) walked me back to the waiting room and reassured me that I'd made the right decision. She thought that if I'd pressed the Versed, we would have fought him trying to get him to drink it, he wouldn't have gotten any in, and then we would have still had to fight him in MRI. I hope she's right.
This was the fastest MRI day ever. We barely waited after checking in, and they were done with the MRI and the ultrasound in just under 2 hours. He had just woken up when I got upstairs, and I was able to climb on to the stretcher with him and snuggle. Poor Finn cried and fought when they checked his temp, again when they put the pulse ox on his toe, and again when they took the IV out. He was hoarse and sounded so miserable. At one point as I held him I said, "I know this is scary, you are so brave." He said, "I'm not brave." He sounded so pitiful. I explained to him that being brave means doing something even when you're scared, but I'm not sure if he understood.
He did perk up when it was time to leave, and one of the nurses pushed us down to our car in the wheelchair (ALL the way to our car, talk about great customer service!) and he was just about completely calmed down by the time he was buckled into his car seat.
![]() |
| playing with a craft project while waiting for Dr. B |
![]() |
| headed home |
Bedtime was rougher than usual - but I remembered what I'd been learning from Dr. Laura Markham's book, and kept my cool. And then as we snuggled in bed, I asked Finn how getting the MRI made him feel. "Sad. I didn't like that mask." "And how did it make you feel that I helped them hold the mask on your face?" "Bad." My heart hurt hearing him tell me what I already knew was true.
I hugged him close and told him I was sorry that I had to help them, and I was sorry that he'd been so scared. How do you explain why you have to do something like that to a 3 year old? I couldn't do it. I just told him he needed the MRI to make sure he was healthy, and then told him again that I was sorry, and that I hoped his next MRI wouldn't be so bad.
He snuggled up next to me and said, "Next time, I think I want to drink the yucky medicine." And then he went on to tell me, "Tell those guys, those MRI guys, that I want to take that mask and throw it in the street so cars will drive over it and break it and then they can never use it again!"
We had lots of snuggle time today, but not as much time for roughhousing as I think Finn needed, because it scared Zachary. So Finn and I have a date for a ticklefest tomorrow when Zachary is napping. Followed by more snuggle time.















I'm bookmarking the book you mentioned. Sounds like great material. As not fun as today sounded for the both of you, it sounds like you had some amazing bonding time with your sweet boy!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry both of you have to go through this over and over. I hope it ends positively for you soon.
ReplyDeleteSorry things were so rough for Finn. :( Sounds like you handled it very well and how great that you processed it with him later. Hugs to you both.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry it was so rough for him, and his comment about what to do with that mask is something I can resonate with. As time goes by, can you just get by with ultrasounds and blood tests? I wish people would hurry up biomarker screening for just about everything, but as a scientist, I am well aware of the practical issues herein. You should totally plan for a ceremonius breaking of a fake mask when he gets his last test! Think officespace :)
ReplyDeleteThat is a great idea to have a mask breaking ceremony. Glad you were able to talk it through with Finn such a smart little guy.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry it was such a rough day. Sounds like you handled it perfectly. I know it makes a big difference with Elena when I apologize to her. Before, when Elena needed to scream & cry, she'd run away from me. Now when she needs a good cry she dives into my lap, even if I'm the source of her irritation. Makes me feel like we've built some good trust.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get clear results first thing this morning!
It sounds like a rough day. I am sorry that it leaves you both feeling so helpless. Hopefully soon you'll be able to have longer gaps between the MRIs.
ReplyDeletePoor sweet boy. And poor sweet Mama. As far as the mask goes, have you considered bringing one home and letting him play with it, or this may have been the first time he's reacted so strongly to it, I can't remember. In any event, maybe bring one from work or get one from an anesthesiologist friend if you can and practice with it?? I hope your weekend is going great!!!
ReplyDeleteI think Finn is brave. I KNOW you are. Best wishes for continued good news!
ReplyDelete"I am not brave" - that brought tears to my eyes :-( He is such a sweet boy and such a trooper. I really hope he gets a clean bill of health and you don't have to do this anymore EVER. Hugs to you - I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you too!
ReplyDeleteI think it's awesome that he was able to tell you what he wished he could do with that anesthesia mask! I'm sure you know that Laura Markham encourages this sort of imaginary wish fulfillment. I do it with Calliope but she hasn't yet taken the initiative, so I always have to say "I bet when you're a grown up you will NEVER take a nap!"
ReplyDeleteAnd yay for roughhousing. I need to remember to integrate that back into our routine. I had forgotten about it.
I agree that no news is good news! Though I still wish they would have called you!
Poor Finn. I hope he doesn't have to go through this much more. But I think you handled it all wonderfully, even though I know it was hard for you.
ReplyDeleteWith my child life specialist hat on... You did everything right, and everything you could have done. Finn reacted in a very typical way for a kiddo his age. And he won't hold you having held him for the mask/anesthesia against you. They never do. It's so much harder on you than him, I promise you. You'll be thinking about it long after he's forgotten (or has just moved past it). Glad all went quickly and you were able to spend the afternoon doing fun things for you!
ReplyDelete