I'm going to have a whole post about it later, but just one week into listening to Peaceful Parent, Happy Child, I have found it to be transformative in how I feel as a parent. I knew something was missing in our relationship, that there was something Finn needed that I was missing, and this was it. Empathy. So simple, and yet so profound. The MRI was really rough on Finn, and his behavior has reflected this over the past few days. I have been so much better equipped to handle his behavior, and as a result, he went to sleep tonight with a smile on his face, despite a few tricky moments earlier in the night that would usually have led to both of us being upset and exhausted. I'm looking forward to continuing to work on my peaceful parenting skills and seeing how our relationship grows and strengthens in the process.













Whew!
ReplyDeleteHope you can sleep tonight!
I love your perspective on parenting and how much ownership you take in being able to read your boys. Such a great example to set for those of us taking it all in and soaking up everything we see/read. Thank you for that. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad our boy is well. I'm glad that you are feeling like you have more resources to work with Finn (and later Zachary). Hope you sleep well tonight.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the good news!
ReplyDeleteI've got to pick up that book. I often catch myself not being as empathetic to B's problems as I promised myself I would. It's something I definitely need to work on, too!
So so glad Finns results were good. Also that you're finding your groove with parenting. You are so right that empathy is such a key component
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful news!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo relieved to hear the news.
ReplyDeleteI feel like that's how Rob is. He is in charge of the twice daily dilations on the baby. They both get keyed up and are big, or little, balls of stress. Lately, there is a little more down time and more play which has helped both. The baby stopped crying every time Rob picked him up.
Wonderful news!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to check out that book...
I am so thrilled to read that all is going well for Finn. I'm sure that just weighs and weighs on you.
ReplyDeleteSo glad it is good news, now get some restful sleep tonight! Going to have to check out the book so I can be prepared for what is to come :-)
ReplyDeleteGlad for the good news!
ReplyDeleteI get stressed out by trying to be empathetic. I know that sounds weird, but it's true. I used to read the Aha! Parenting blog, and I stopped because sometimes I just don't want to take a deep breath and remember that I'm the adult who can control my emotions and should model that for my kids. Sometimes I want to yell and scream. (yeah, I know that's terrible. Glad it's working for you, though!)
I've been away from Blogger for a while and this is the first blog I've read. What wonderful news! Hoping you find some sleep!
ReplyDeleteOh, this is a relief. I hope sleep is finding you.
ReplyDeleteSo pleased all is well. That is a brilliant book too!
ReplyDelete