Saturday, June 15, 2013

Beta #3

This is a bad idea...
I was overwhelmed by the responses to my post the other night - I felt so awful for losing my temper and popping Finn.  Everyone's empathy (and suggestions for other things to try) made me feel so much better.  Last night was another difficult night - Finn started kicking me when I told him it was time to get ready for bed (he was lying on the floor).  When I told him to stop he hit me, so I got up and walked away.  And it didn't phase him at all.  Then a little while later he was bringing me a book he wanted to read, and threw it towards me.  It didn't hit me, so he picked it up again and acted like he was about to throw it.  I told him not to throw it at me, but he did, and it hit me on my knee.  It didn't hurt, but it could have, so I was going to scold him (which never really works).  Then I had another idea, so instead I said, "Owwww!" and wrinkled up my face and started to pretend cry.  That worked wonders.  He dissolved into tears and came over to hug me.  He had to tell me he was sorry, and then kiss my knee and then we cuddled for a few minutes until he stopped crying.  I'm going to have to try that one again!

*****

My third and final beta was yesterday - 9510!  That's at 19dp5dt, so a good, solid number.
 Every piece of good news makes me feel just a little more secure that all is well.  My ultrasound is scheduled for next Friday morning, when I'll be 6week and 3 days.  I found out from RBA that I'll get a total of 3 ultrasounds, at 6, 8 and 10 weeks before I'm released to my OB.  I wasn't really expecting that, but am so excited that I'll have that many chances to make sure everything is ok during the time in pregnancy that I worry the most.




16 comments:

  1. AWESOME NEWS!!! Your betas have been wonderful! That crying trick works quite well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!

    I think you are very brave to post about your parenting mishaps/failures (whatever you want to call them). I am just emerging from the 2s with my son and had some terrible--just terrible--moments. So disappointed in myself and my reactions. Thanks for talking about it. We are all human, and it's helpful to know other moms go through the same thing with their own challenging, smart, [and developmentally-appropriate behavior (however angering)] little boys!

    I am so in awe of a second pregnancy and will be following your journey. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must help to know that besides just being "mommy" you're a human too. That you can get hurt, and that must have broke through to him. I just keep (jokingly) telling my sister that when I do have a child they get to live with her between 2-3.5 ;) For some reason she keeps refusing-lol! I'm so glad that you do get other ways of trying things, I only wish I could give some btdt advice too.
    And hurray for the betas!!! So exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for another awesome beta!! & extra u/s are great!!

    Good idea about getting Finn to realize how hitting/throwing hurts you. I have to remember that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, good strategy for dealing with his physical behavior. My children (even at 4 and 6) constantly test me and it is exhausting to stand strong and redirect them, oh say, every 3.5 minutes. Okay, every 3.5 minutes is only on the really bad days, but you get my meaning. It's hard work being a good mom who wants her child to learn right from wrong. But what's the alternative? Keep up the great work--hope you can catch a break and relax a little too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your technique with teaching Finn that throwing things at you can hurt you, and I also love that it worked!!

    And I *also* love, love, love that your beta is so high and that things are going well with your pregnancy (nausea and fatige notwithstanding!). Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm here following. Love the post. Can't write more now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for great betas and getting the obstinate toddler to instead feel sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited for you Shannon! Can't wait to meet your sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Appealing to their emotions seems to work so much better for us. My trio has started having screaming matches and no amount of scolding could stop them. Now, all I have to do it say, "Oww, that hurt's Mommy's ears" and they stop and apologize. Amazing!

    Those are some great betas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My friend has been using the crying thing with her little boy who has been biting, and it has worked wonders! Great Beta #3 numbers too! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm already dreading when my boys reach this stage of testing boundaries x 2. I like this idea though! Crying already works with my husband, jk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just catching up after months. School put my brain in a fog. ;-)

    I am soooo happy for you!! Congratulations!! I agree with everyone else about the spanking. You are a fabulous mom! One minor pop is nothing like what most of us grew up with. And he was putting himself in danger, that always takes more and is more important.
    A story for another time....

    Just know that I here for you and am thrilled for you and Finn. Yay Mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray for good betas and frequent ultrasounds & anything that gets toddlers to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your great Beta! I so want #2, but with the cost of daycare, it looks like it's going to just be me and my little sidekick!

    ReplyDelete