Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Disaster Waiting to Happen

Oops.
Finn woke up this morning with a fake burp, followed by a giggle.

I woke up to a phone call from the anesthesiologist's billing office reminding me that I haven't paid their bill from Finn's MRI in May.  Oops.

I am such a disorganized mess these days. I'm sure that's not the only bill I've missed paying - if it's not automatically withdrawn from my account, I tend to miss the bill.  I filled an extension on my taxes this year and haven't done a thing towards getting them done yet.  I changed from one TV service to another 3 or more weeks ago because the new company is cheaper, but I haven't cancelled the old service yet. The washing machine in my condo is broken, and I haven't arranged to get it fixed yet (luckily my tennet is out of town). I have boxes that still aren't unpacked stacked high in the guest bedroom.  My closet and dresser drawers have yet to be fully sorted out (I'm wearing the same clothes over and over again).  Finn's nursery, his toys, his clothes are not at all in order - I still have furniture left to buy for his room and for the living room/playroom.  I have work training long overdue, and the thoughts of my endocrine boards looming on the horizon.  My parents never got mother's day/father's day cards or gifts from me.  Several friends still haven't gotten their Christmas presents.  I have birthday cards and other cards scattered around the house, none of them sent - and I love sending cards.

And yet I'm sitting here, blogging instead of getting things done.

I think I'm so overwhelmed with all that needs to get done, that all I manage to do is the basics every day, and the rest just goes by the wayside.  It's working now, but it clearly won't continue to work.  I've got to get my act together before I end up ruining my credit and failing my boards.

As soon as I sign off tonight I'm going to make a list, a list organized in order of urgency (obviously the boxes in the guest bedroom are at the bottom of the list).  And then I'm going to start marking things off the list until it's all done and I can concentrate on the business of getting knocked up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for bill organizers?  Card organizers?  Any other ideas?

One issue has to be resolved quickly and just can't wait.  My period is due sometime this week (hopefully later in the week, as there's currently a very large, very well televised convention going on in my city, and it stands between me and my RE's office).  For every IUI, I wore a different pair of socks.  The socks I wore at my IUI with Finn were definitely my lucky socks.  I carried them in my purse after my IUI until the day Finn was born, and then I wore them on my hands when I got cold while in labor, and on my feet when he was delivered.  And now I'm wondering what I should do with my next IUI.  Should I buy a new pair of lucky socks?  Or should I wear the ones I wore with Finn?

Superstition.  It's a tricky business.

Please take a second and weigh in on my poll to the right! Poll is now closed - thanks to those who voted!

21 comments:

  1. Making a list is a good idea. I hate that feeling of falling behind. I voted for wearing the same socks as with Finn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another vote for the same socks. Why mess with what works?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely wear the same socks! Sorry you're behind on some stuff: you have a beyond full plate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate being disorganized- one of the reasons the majority of my bills come through email- though you wouldn't know it by my home desk or by my work desk by the end of the day. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strongly vote for new socks & I'll tell you why...the socks from Finn have such happy memories associated with them & although I truly deeply hope that your next IUI is successful & drama free...I would hate for those memories with your lucky socks to be also linked to sadness if (god forbid) something goes wrong...sorry to be a debbie downer but that was just my 1st thought.

    Hope you're able to get organized soon!Too bad I don't live closer, I'm an excellent organizer & would have you whipped into organizational shape in no time, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to SO much of your post... except for the upcoming boards - that kind of pressure has to suck. But the lack of organization and craziness... the looming tasks and pressure we place on ourselves!

    For cards, I have one of those Hallmark organizers - it helps a lot. I like to buy a bunch of different cards at once and most of the time I have something on hand when an occasion arises. I do 99% of my bills through online bill pay. I was so thankful for that option when I was stuck in Asheville for 9 weeks!!

    As for the socks... I'm with Tiara. The lucky socks and everything associated with them belong to Finn. New socks for a new baby. You wouldn't want something to taint your view of those awesome socks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get new socks for baby#2. That way if the first try doesn't work with #2 you won't feel like you "ruined" your lucky socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wear the socks you wore with Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all about the lists. It's the only way I ever get anything done!

    And I definitely say stick to the socks you wore with Finn! That's the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I go with new socks. Something in a bright neon 80s color would be my choice, but most people don't usually let me vote on fashion. :o)

    I do, however, want to go out and buy a lable maker and tons of plastic storage bins and come visit you for a few days and get you organized. That's my version of relaxation and therapy. I know. It's sick and twisted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I swear I have no stock in Russell and Hazel-- it's just my absolute favorite company for all things paper product-y. If you're looking for inspiration for list making and organizing, I'd check out their website and order some things that are going to make you want to sit down and get started. For some reason, that always helps me! (And I'd totally go with the Finn socks.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't see the poll but I definitely vote for wearing the socks with the proven track record! Look how well he turned out!

    I hear you in the not-getting-things-done department. My uncle says we should all make a graph of our two do lists with two axes, one with urgency and the other with importance.

    I like printing out a monthly calendar and assigning at least one task to each night. Even if it's small.

    however, i have not yet achieved last night's goal, and i don't even have one for tonight. besides not being on the computer and reading blogs. um... fail!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a super huge list maker! It's the only way I keep things straight.
    And I say go with new socks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I vote for new socks because the one's you have belong to Finn. You'll need them again when he learns to drive or goes off to college :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to say "old socks" but I like the idea of you having a brand new pair in some bright color. And I like that someday you can give each Finn and Chimichanga their own pairs of lucky socks with stories behind them. (Though - as a complete aside - boys rarely value sentimental things. My sister and I spent this past weekend "picking" the things we wanted from Mom's heirlooms, and when we asked my brother if he wanted any of the plates that Great-Grandma hand painted herself with beautiful intricate flowers he answered, "Meh.")

    That was a weird tangent. I vote for a new pair of socks.

    For your list of things to do, have a look at www.do.com. It's a super-simple and free cloud-based to-do list with an app for your iPhone and iPad so you can access it anywhere and anytime. You can even assign To Dos to other people who are on it. Like, I might assign you the task "Send Heidi a card for her birthday 6 months ago." Conveniently enough www.do.com is owned by my company. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Baby #2 should have new socks.
    I dressed up for my IUI with my son. Every time I looked at that dress it made me smile and remember the hope I felt laying still for 10 minutes with my knees up. Then for baby#2 IUI try I wore the same dress. Unfortunately I didn't get pregnant. Now that dress give me a little sad face.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shan I do cards too. They sell this card set at Costco that comes in a box that is separated into birthdays, weddings, congrats etc. I bought that set a year ago and continue to use the box to add different cards to it. They have a new card set at Costco right now too. Not sure if you have a Costco near you? If not Hallmark card stores also sell an organizer, or you can use a three ring binder and buy those clear pockets to hold the different ones? Not that I am anywhere near organized myself in my new place either. :) Oneforlis Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, you won't know if a new pair of socks are lucky or not until after the fact, so I vote that you use your old lucky socks - they're tried and true. And if they don't work then you'll know they're just for Finn and you can go get a new pair.

    As for lists - I love lists! I'm old-fashioned and keep a pen and small notebook with me at all times so when I think of something I can write it down right away. But I suppose a smart phone could work just as well. Good for you to start on getting organized!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Heidi. So, I want to take back my vote of "Finn socks" to "new socks.". :)

    SL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lol H, I think I'll add your app. I voted for old lucky socks, but I'm a total creature of habit.

    I got my Christmas present and my bday present was on the day of. Woo hoo, look at you getting all organized on the important issues. ;). Do I need to come back? Have you got anything besides junk in those white baskets?

    Xoxo,
    JL

    ReplyDelete
  21. (can't see a poll)
    I'd go with a new pair of socks :-).

    ReplyDelete