Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Dancing outside to Adele
Saturday morning, Finn and I headed out to his third swim lesson.  As soon as we walked in the door he started clapping, he was so excited! He loved the pool time, and while he hates floating on his back, he doesn't mind getting his face wet at all.  He even went under the water 3 times without tears.  Since we've started swim lessons I've gone from having a baby who hated getting his face wet in the bath to a boy who doesn't mind it at all.  Sure makes hair washing a lot easier!  Again I was the only mom in the pool, the rest of the babies (there were 4 of us this week) were there with their dads.  I struck up a conversation with one of the moms after the class was over; it seems the moms come too - to change their babies after the class.  The mom I spoke to said, "I don't know how you do it, coming alone to class with him, and then having to get you both changed after."  She was incredibly nice, and actually insisted that I leave Finn with her while I went to get changed after he was dressed.  Sure made getting dressed easier!

Sunday we met my sister and her boys at the park for breakfast.  The only bad thing about my move is that it's put me another 20 minutes away from her.  We've been trying to find ways to meet up at a halfway point, but before this weekend our meet ups were all at restaurants, which doesn't work all that well with 3 kids ages 5 and younger.  The park was a stroke of brilliance (great idea, J!)  We spread out blankets in the grass and had breakfast together.  D finished eating earlier than the rest of us and was ready to go play, so we pulled out the "how fast can you run to that tree?" challenge.  It always works like a charm. He played and was happy, and we finished our breakfast in peace.
Action shot
D Running

After food, then headed to the playground.  Most of the playground is still out of Finn's league, but he loves the swings, and he did enjoy going down the slide a few times.  They all loved playing in the sand after that (while I tried hard not to think of all the cats that had used the sand box as their litter box).
Slide

The rest of Sunday and all of today has been spent working on the house. I moved 12 boxes of books from the guest bedroom upstairs into the outside storage room downstairs, sorted through old clothes and maternity clothes and worked on decorating the nursery and bathroom.  Finn's nursery is almost done.  It turns out it's awfully hard to hang shelves with a baby around, so that will have to wait.  I have a valance and a poster on order, and might end up getting a different bookshelf for the room, but once all that's done, it's finished.  I don't know why, but one of the big things I wished I had in my condo was a bathroom I could decorate for Finn.  And now I have one!  It's the only room in the house that is actually finished.  The rest of the house looks even messier than when I started, but hopefully next weekend I'll be able to take care of that.
Not the best picture of the bathroom, but you get the idea
On the weaning front - I didn't get the guest bedroom bed cleaned off today as I'd planned, so I was going to put off the sleep weaning for a week.  But then at naptime today he was fighting sleep in bed with me, when he so clearly need to nap.  So I put him in his crib and he was out in 5 minutes.  When tonight started out as another rough night on the going to sleep front, I decided to try Finn in his crib again.  It look at little longer, maybe 15 minutes, but he's been asleep in the crib for almost 3 hours now. I have no idea if it'll last the night, but it's a good start.  It's not what I had planned, but in the long run this might be the best way to go...I guess I'll see what happens tonight and go from there.  Makes me a little sad, thinking of sleeping alone...but my sore neck and back aren't sad at all.

13 comments:

  1. Such cute pictures of Finn! :-) Love the one on the slide. He looks like he's having a great time! I like the bathroom decorations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like the bathroom is really cute, and gives me some ideas for my extra bathroom! I love seeing pictures of Finn's smiley face, such a happy boy. Glad to hear that he was so willing to transition to his crib, hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness! Finn is turning into a big boy! He's soooooo cute. You blink your eyes and all of a sudden, they're no longer babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If he is able to sleep in his crib, although you'll miss him, that might be better for you than having him alone in a bed. At least you know he is confined in one place and you might start getting some very good sleep (instead of always having one ear open). The bathroom looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun weekend...& productive! Hope last night went well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great day at the park.

    I love Finn's bathroom! I might decorate my own bathroom that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the new sleeping arrangement trials go well. ;) We've always been co-sleepers, but it's been nice for the boys to eventually get to their own beds. I've always loved waking up to my boys, but when Charlie got old enough to really affect my sleep (w/ all his moving around), it was so nice to sleeeeeep at night. lol

    I'm just always amazed at women who have spouses that can bring the kids to lessons and doc's appts, etc. I have had a couple of instances here and there, but I'm an army wife who's had to do the majority of that kind of stuff on my own. I guess it's easier b/c I'm always around women doing the same thing as I am and not constantly seeing it like you are. But, you're an amazing and strong mom and you're among good company!! :) (for whatever that's worth lol)

    ~SL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think changing after the swim lesson is the hardest part of SMC!!

    Elsie has been in her own crib now (all night) for 3 weeks now and it is great!! We do our routine and when I put her in, she just snuggles up with her pillow. When we went away this weekend, I was worried the new place would throw a wrench in it but nope... Snuggled up and went to sleep! And now we BOTH sleep SO much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is getting so big and is just too darn cute!!! Moving and getting things set up is always hard, but I can imagine that it is so much harder on your own with a little one. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the slide pic! and the bathroom! it never occurred to me to decorate a bathroom (for a baby or anything else)! but now that, omg, might actually have two bathrooms... what an awesome idea!

    as for the crib... it seems like babyhood goes this way. you never ease into new patterns, you lurch into them without warning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best thing about my parents' new house is the indoor pool... So hopefully I'll never have to experience the changing after swim lessons dilemma! I love that he loves the water, though!

    I'm glad the crib has been working out. Here's hoping it continues! He's cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you should just trust your instincts on the sleep thing. It seems to be working well. The bathroom looks fun. Perfect for that cute boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are some super cute pics of Finn (and the bathroom)!
    Speaking of cats and sandboxes - you might enjoy this commercial, it cracked me up when I saw it because I often wonder if cats are thinking this. http://youtu.be/i2iG9NQk9mI

    ReplyDelete