| Taken with my phone, about 2 seconds after he woke up |
I do kind of miss the comfort of sleeping alone. I have cricks in my neck that may never go away, and have discovered that a little baby can take up more space in the bed that a grown adult, meaning I rarely have much room on my side of the bed. But the thought of putting Finn to sleep in his crib and not having his little warm body next to mine all night makes me sad.
But it looks like I don't have a choice, since he's been feeding at least once, if not twice during the night, and is not showing any signs of stopping. Often I don't even realize he's breast feeding - I wake up to find him latched on. (Do I pull up my shirt for him in my sleep or does he do it on his own? I have no idea!) A few times I've woken up as he's rooting around, and have been able to distract him with his pacifier, but other times nothing will work but the breast.
I think that he would probably sleep the night through if he didn't wake up with me close by. I'm pretty sure he wakes up, says, "I smell milk!" and decides to eat. I'm not positive, but I think he'd sleep the night through if I wasn't there.
We've made progress on getting him to nurse less. He gets a few ounces of breast milk with supper in his sippy cup (he usually won't drink more than a few ounces). And then right before bed, I give him a bottle, and he usually will drink another 3 ounces then. I'm pretty sure that he breast feeds for less time since we've been doing that, and I feel like my milk supply has dropped a little, too. I'm hoping that over the next few weeks, we can gradually give up the bedtime nursing session. That one is going to be the hardest to do, I know. I imagine there will be tears. Both his and mine. But I think the sippy cup at dinner and the bottle before bed are going to get us there.
First, we have to stop the nighttime feeds. The only way I can see that happening is if we stop sleeping together, at least for a while. I really doubt he'll sleep the whole night in his crib, but I think it's possible he would sleep the whole night alone in my bed. Since that one night I found him half fallen out of the bed, he's been more cautious about the edge of the bed, and I've moved the bumpers so he can't repeat that near disaster. He sleeps 4 hours a night alone in the bed every night now, and he's safe, and he will wake up and soothe himself back to sleep when I'm not there. I'm pretty sure that he'll be fine, and after a few nights, will sleep the night through without any extra snacks.
I'm just not sure if I'm going to sleep well, alone in the guest bedroom while he sleeps in my bed. But starting Tuesday night, that's what I'm going to do.
I think.
I am so glad that there is a 3 day weekend almost here! I plan to spend hours catching up on blogs...I'm so behind.












Wow! You are more patient than I probably would be. I can't imagine giving up my bed (of course I don't have a second bed either), but it does make sense when I think of it. Good luck and I hope the tears on both sides will be few.
ReplyDeleteI really feel for you, it's going to be tough. It sounds like a good plan & being prepared for the tears helps. I hope Finn transitions well with a minimum of fuss. Enjoy your long weekend
ReplyDeletewow, that's a different idea! i never thought of that, you giving him your bed and just moving yourself. smart!
ReplyDeleteand if he doesn't go for that... you could always sleep in his crib in your room!
(sorry, i crack myself up. but that's really, for a moment, what i was thinking you were going to suggest for a minute. i'm a little nutty these days.)
good luck, regardless! sounds tough. my girl is nursing less before bed and i'm struggling with it a little, wondering if i should nurse her before solids, or give her less solids for dinner. both of which, i'm pretty sure, are the crazy ideas of a mommy who is having trouble letting go. but sorry, i'll stop hijacking your blog for the time being!