Sunday, May 6, 2012

Swim Lessons

Yesterday morning, Finn and I woke up and had our usual Saturday morning cuddle in the bed while reading a few books.  We couldn't lollygag, though, because we had things to do.  Finn had his first swim lesson at 9:30.  I put on my swimsuit under my clothes, got his swim diaper, towels and headed out the door.  We walked in 15 minutes before his class, went to check in, and heard these words, "Oh, his class started at 9."

Whoops.

So it looks like his first class will be next week.  At least he's too young to be disappointed.  And from now on I'll be sure to check, double check and triple check the start times of lessons, practices and games, so I won't ever disappoint him by getting the time wrong again.

We have had a great weekend together.  We did some shopping for his birthday party, and found a cake mix that is free of eggs and wheat, so he can eat cake.  (I ordered a real cake for the rest of us, as I'm sure that egg and wheat free cake is not going to be all that great!)  We still don't know for sure what he's allergic to, since I forgot to take the lab order for his allergy testing with me to his MRI last week.  We played, went for a walk, and visited my sister and her family yesterday evening and I even had time to paint my toenails.
Trying on glasses while shopping
I made some headway in getting the house in order, and even hung up a few more pictures.  I need another 3-4 weekends at home to get it all done, but at least it's going the right direction.  At this rate, I might be unpacked by the 4th of July!

And, to make a good weekend even better, I cooked an easy meal tonight that I loved and so did Finn.  It started with a post on this blog (I can't even remember now how I found her) about making your own taco seasoning.  I used her recipe and whipped up my first homemade taco seasoning this morning; it looks so pretty on my countertop! And then I found this recipe for Mexican chicken.  I added a can of corn (I went with low sodium beans and corn) in place of olives (yuck) and let it simmer all day.  It was delicious.  My servings were wrapped in tortillas, but Finn just had some spooned onto his plate with a little cheese on the top.  He kept asking for more, so I think he liked it.  I had enough to freeze three servings for later as well as enough to have it a couple more nights this week.

Week 1 of Project Cook at Home is off to a good start!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend! Love the sun glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been doing swim lessons since J was about 8 months old, and it's so much fun! Good luck with it next week. :)

    And wow, one year old already! I have heard those egg and wheat free cake mixes are gross, but Finn won't know that. Happy Birthday to that cute boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on a great weekend! I have been trying to cook on the weekends as well. Sonetimes it works, sometimes not.

    But a REAL easy chicken dish... Boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a Pyrex dish. Add 1/4 c lemon juice and 1/4 c water. Sprinkle garlic powder, oregano and marjoram on top. Cover with a sliced onion. Bake at 350 for about 40 min. - until chicken is cooked.

    I usually have a veggie or two with it. And it good cold. Elsie eats it chopped up over the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the cooking. I need to follow your example and start being more productive. It's amazing what you can do in little bits.

    You'll have to start a different tradition for Finn's birthday. Like chocolate covered fruit or something equally as divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That taco recipe sounds great!!

    Where did you find this egg and wheat free cake mix? I have to do egg free cake for Tate, though last year I just ordered his from Whole Foods all decorated etc(they make a vegan one). It was pretty good, but not sure about the no wheat part. But it would be great to have a mix, if you don't mind to share where you got yours or the brand.

    ReplyDelete