Friday, May 6, 2011

Meditations and Red Wine

Today I’m going to post good and happy stuff, starting with good things about still being pregnant.  First, since I’ve been off work, all my swelling has gone away.  Even with being on my feet all day long today, not a bit of swelling at all.  Second, I had a glass of red wine tonight!  It was my first glass since July and it was wonderful.  I guess my heartburn is finally getting better like it’s supposed to in the third trimester, because it’s the first time I didn’t get queasy at just a sip.  Third, Heidi's sister Heather sent me a huge batch of her world famous chocolate chip cookies.  And let me tell you, they live up to the hype! Fourth - I just watched Hugh Jackman run naked through a field.  Nothing to do with pregnancy, but it did make me happy, even if the movie isn’t really all that good.

Next, I’ve been meaning to do a few brief reviews of the pregnancy meditations I’ve relied on to help me through the anxiety of the first trimester and the insomnia of the third trimester, and now seems like the perfect time to finally do it. 

Circle and Bloom:  The meditations are divided up into trimesters, and while they’re a bit long, the relaxation part at the beginning is fantastic to fall asleep to at night.  In fact, I can’t really even say for sure what the second half of each of the three meditations really cover, because I’m usually asleep by then. 

Guided Meditations by Michelle Roberton-Jones: these are all short, but I only have really found myself ever listening to the “Dedicated Time for Two.”  It focuses first on relaxation, then on baby, and I like that.  The “Baby’s Song” is a little too weird for me, focusing on trying to hear your baby talk to you, and “The Breath” and “Release” don’t focus on pregnancy at all.  “A Perfect Night” doesn’t, either, and most of it is music and not guided meditation.  It has helped me fall asleep, but I'm not sure it's worth buying the whole album for.  If you’re looking for something short to help you relax at night, “Dedicated Time for Two” is more than worth the $0.99.

Anji Online Pregnancy after IF:  I only bought the first trimester series, and I listened to these fairly religiously.  There was a new meditation to listen to every few weeks, and was very comforting when I was so stressed out at the beginning of this pregnancy.

Health Journeys:  I LOVE this one.  There are two guided meditation tracks, one that seems to be best suited for the first trimester, and the second that is designed specifically to be listened to in the last weeks of pregnancy.  Both of them focus on imagining your support system around you – and for some people that might be a bit much, because it’s not just your actual support system, but also ancestors “leaning over and whispering this child’s name” and guardian angels and spirits.  It sounds weird, but it’s so sweet and moving and comforting.  The third trimester track actually walks you through visualizing labor and delivery and is empowering, especially when I can stay awake long enough to make it through the relaxation part at the beginning.

And now back to Wolverine and bouncing on my yoga ball.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting these reviews. When I get pregnant, I will probably look into some of these. I am currently using the Circle+Bloom IVF programme and am really pleased I got it. My only problem thus far is that I have it on my iPhone and haven't worked out how to stop the sessions rolling into the next one...so can't fall asleep to it.
    Red wine and chocolate chip cookies sound fabulous! I am considering confronting the rain to go in search of chocolate so I can bake Nigella Lawson's totally chocolate, chocolate chip cookies - they are truly the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking today that I hope you have your baby on Mother's day. How nice would that be?

    I followed one of your mediation links last night and ended up buying one. Nice because I usually can't focus on anything that long. I do think it takes a bit of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGee - every update I see, I get so excited for you. I love that you are watching Hugh Jackman running naked, eating world famous chocolate chip cookies and drinking a glass of red wine. ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugh, Red Wine & Chocolate Chip Cookies...what could be better than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the visualization of Hugh Jackman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...wanted to edit my comment but it deleted it. Anyway, I'm so happy to see that I'm not the only one who fantasizes about Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy mother's day to the mama who's going to have a baby on the outside any moment now!!!

    you are going to be FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome blog! Free Guided Meditations really helps me get centered after a long day at work and with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such great information. Guided Meditation have helped me so much lately. Especially with stress, it has relaxed me.

    ReplyDelete