Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Difference a Year Makes

How cute is this butt?
One year ago today I was lying on my couch in a daze, recovering from a D&C after my miscarriage. Today I was sitting on the couch and looked down to see my 13 day old son staring up at me, and when I spoke to him, he responded with a huge grin. One year ago I was heart broken and filled with doubts that my dream of having a child was ever going to come true, and yet exactly a year later, my child smiled directly at me for the first time. What a difference a year makes.

Even when he’s screaming bloody murder and refusing to go to sleep, I still love my little boy more than I ever dreamed possible. As devastated as I was this time last year, now I can’t imagine life without Finn.

I hope that everyone reading this who is trying to conceive is able to experience the joys and craziness of new motherhood very soon. It is so worth the journey to get here, even when parts of the journey really suck.

21 comments:

  1. Pretty cute butt indeed! Don't you wish you could go back and tell your self of last year how much better things would be this quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how much life can change in a year - for the better! Your story definitely gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that your dream has come true - and so fitting that you could have this really special moment exactly one year later. Time is a weird thing. BTW - His butt is very cute - but not quite a match for mine in my amazing new pair of maternity jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. His butt is ADORABLE. unfortunately, bunintheovenplease! hasn't shared HER photo of HER adorable butt (in maternity jeans) so I can't fairly compare them! (feel free to share!)

    yay, i'm just so incredibly happy for you, Shannon. i can't wait to be where you are now! but i'm mostly just happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a cute butt! I'm so happy for you Shannon xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that outfit. Saw it over the weekend while shopping for a friends shower, almost bought it. But I'm trying to resist buying clothes until I'm more certain and know what to buy.

    So happy you have your little boy to smile at you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the monkey bottom! Thank you for such an uplifting post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the booty as Tate and I call it here!! He wears that exact same outfit now :)

    Soooo very happy for you and Finn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cutest monkey butt ever! I am so so so happy for you and your new family! Way to perservere and make your dreams happen!! -Claire

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is an adorable butt. I so happy for you, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you! I wish us all the same wonderful moment of looking back and realizing all our dreams came true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Shannon. I can't help but think you and Finn have a little angel watching over you both, smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A year can bring big changes especially when you go through the extremes. I am glad little monkey butt is bringing you so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the butt; I used to put LG in things like that. And yes, it's amazing what difference a year (or in my case, two) can make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the butt but I want new photos of his face! They change too much too fast! :) So glad that one year has you in such a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this post! It gives me so much hope. Love the monkey butt:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the crappy parts are there so when the good parts happen we don't take them for granted.

    Thanks for this post, it helps put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your "then and now" post and so glad you got to write it. It's been 8 months for me and I'm still in awe. The feeling doesn't wear off!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an adorable little bear butt!!! I am just so happy for you to have these precious moments after the pain & loss of last year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can just feel the love you have for Finn oozing from the post. Love his little monkey butt.

    ReplyDelete