Monday, January 31, 2011

Doulas


Back when I decided to TTC, my sister (Jamie) made it known that she wanted to be my birth coach.  I was present for both of her deliveries (the second one while I was in my 2ww that turned into my first BFP) and it was such an amazing experience to be there.  I really want her there with my delivery, both for emotional support and so she can have the same experience that I did, so I’m so glad she wants to be by my side!

I also want a doula to be there as well, so I can have the emotional and physical support from both people. But how to choose a doula?  The local organization I’ve had bookmarked for 2 years has had a dwindling list of doulas on it the past six months, and today they still have the announcement on their site that the details are coming soon for the January “Meet the Doulas Tea”, which on January 31st, doesn’t seem too promising. 

I already knew what sort of person I was hoping to find.  Somewhere along the line I’ve gone from being a woman who knew she wanted an epidural to being a woman who thinks maybe she’d like to try natural childbirth (watching Ricki Lake’s The Business of Being Born might have had something to do with this).  Because of that, I want a doula who will help me through natural childbirth, but be supportive if I give in and ask for an epidural.  Since internet wasn’t helping, I asked the nurses on labor and delivery if they had any suggestions.  They didn’t, but a midwife (with a practice other than my OB/Gyn) was in the room when I asked, and said she had a wonderful suggestion for a doula she’s worked with several times.  The doula’s name is Alex, and the midwife says she has been great, and even encouraged a mom to get an epidural once, when labor had gone on for 27 hours and the mom was just exhausted. 

I called Alex last week, and met her yesterday morning.  I love her.  She’s interesting, vibrant, knowledgeable and supportive.  This was just our initial consult visit, but she stayed and talked about all sorts of things for almost two hours, so I really got to know her, and she me.  I feel like I should be interviewing more potential candidates, but I know already that she’s a perfect fit for me, and so I hired her!

After talking with her, I feel even more confident that I’m going to go with natural childbirth, mainly because we talked about how we’d handle what to do during labor if I start to think I want an epidural.  To paraphrase what she said, “All women want an epidural at some point.  It’s my job to help you decide if you’ll be happy with your decision once the baby is born, or always wish you’d held out.”  We haven’t talked about anything else specific yet, but the for the epidural is simple. When I say I think I want an epidural, she’s going to ask me to try to hold out through one more contraction, and then reassess.  This is exactly what I do when I’m worn out at the end of a long run, and hoping to keep going that last 1-2 miles.  “I’ll keep running until I get to that tree, and then if I still want to stop, I will.”  And when I make it to the next tree, “I can keep going.  Now I’m going to try to make it to that fence post, and then I’ll reassess.”  There are times I can keep going, even though I thought I couldn’t, and times I know I have to stop, so this is a method I know will work for me.

I’m not going to be disappointed in myself if I do end up deciding to get an epidural.  But I will be disappointed if I don’t at least try to go without.  

I’m meeting with her again in a couple of weeks for a pre-delivery session where we’ll go over the stages of labor and come up with my birth plan, complete with what music I’d like her to have on her iPod.  I’ve seen lots of deliveries, but none that were natural, so I’m looking forward to it. 

But I still can’t believe that I’ve actually decided to try natural childbirth.  I wonder if someone has put something in my ice cream to make me this crazy.

14 comments:

  1. Another great - and informative post! I can't wait to be able to ask you for your Doula's details! - should I ever manage to get pregnant!
    looking forward to meeting you!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding a doula that fits well with you. My mom had all three of us girls with no pain medication (and we didn't come fast either ;) ) and I know she's hoping that when it comes my time I can do it that way too. I remember her telling my sister that she could totally go without an epidural, but funny how after she saw her baby in pain she was all for whatever my sister needed to get through and take away the pain :)
    So it probably is good to have someone outside of the family there for you, because it's probably harder for family to tell you to try and make it another contraction when they just want to see you out of pain--just my 2 cents anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're brave but strong and I know you can do this! So glad you didn't have to look far for your perfect fit! looking forward to hearing your music selections...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to Google "Doulas". Never heard of them and I don't think they are common here. Our maternity service is midwife-led (although I intend to have an OB as well - if and when).

    I think most women opt for natural childbirth here...the thought of an epidural freaks me out much more than the thought of natural labour!! I'm pleased you are getting the right people around you for Chiquitito's arrival. Not long now...only 3 months!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Business of Being Born is a life changer I tell you! Totally had me sold on a natural birth too! And I'm SO glad you found a Doula you like! That makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my eyes opened with The Business of Being Born as well and then, being the type A freak that I am, researched the SHIT out of natural labor. What I came up with is that women who choose a method of natural labor are far more successful than those that just decide to go natural but don't prepare.

    So although I went in with lots of skepticism, I just finished my last Hypno-birthing class last night and HIGHLY recommend it. It gives many different methods of coping with different phases and also mentally prepares you for the task ahead.

    Just a little tip! Obviously for me, in March, the proof will be in the pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1st of all, you're not crazy!! I think you hit the nail on the head with your statement, "I’m not going to be disappointed in myself if I do end up deciding to get an epidural. But I will be disappointed if I don’t at least try to go without." That's exactly the way I feel...I want to at least try & was one of my motivating factors to go with a Midwife instead of OB.

    Your Doula sounds great & for her to already use a technique you employ seems to me to be a receipe for success. So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome!!!! I made it to 9 cm with no medication or epidural, but then gave in to the epidural. I probably could have made it without if I'd had support like you'e describing. I don't necessarily regret it, but I think it would have been interesting to know I'd done it sans medicine. That is so great to go into it already knowing you have such great support on both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've already been researching Midwives and Doulas in my area, and that will probably be my first call after I get a BFP. I really want to have as natural as possible childbirth experience, but know I'll be fighting an uphill battle due to my age, and that I've had an abdominal myomectomy. My RE (who did the myo) original said that with that surgery I would need a c-section, but then after the surgery said that things went so well that he didn't see why I couldn't have a vaginal birth, but it would be between me and my OB. I know I'm going to need someone on my side so to speak, so a Doula is going to be a necessity. Good Luck, I'm glad you found someone you connect with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shannon,

    I think that is a BRILLIANT strategy... wait one more contraction and reassess... and I'm a runner too! And when I don't want to run, I'll tell myself, just 10 minutes, and then if you want to stop, you can. Not exactly the same, but I think your strategy is great, and I'm going to plan on that for myself as well!

    Also, totally unrelated... did you buy your Chicquito Ticker? mine looks all funky with ads so I am willing to pay for it... but the page where you buy it is really confusing. I don't know which option I need. How much did you pay for yours?

    Thanks, and sorry to hijack your post like this!

    PS I loved the Business of Being Born. I've been to a home birth when I was interning with a lay midwife during college. It was amazing. It's good to have examples of how it CAN look.

    abbty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so conflicted about this whole subject. With my daughter I knew from the start I wanted a natural birth, I took an 8-week intensive class to prepare, taught by a highly experienced teacher and doula, had the teacher as my doula, watched Business of Being Born, etc. I really believed I could do it and it would be a wonderful experience. All I can say is that SO MUCH went wrong, I was having strong contractions and awake for 3 nights in a row, my water broke early, I didn't dilate, and WAY WAY too late I finally "broke down" and got pitocin and epidural, and I cried and was utterly miserable. After the pitocin and epidural everything improved, I finally started dilating, and my daughter was born 8 hours later, vaginally, after 3 hours of pushing. I really regret that I was SO dead-set against pitocin. Bottom line is I needed it. I still have a lot of thinking to do about my childbirth "plans" for the baby I'm currently carrying. But one thing I do know is that I plan to be more open-minded and will not be disappointed in myself, will not consider it a "fault" or a "caving in" if I decide that I think the birth will go better with an epidural. My goal is to have a happier birth experience, whatever that may look like. Anyways, enough about me (i've just been thinking a lot about this) and I'm glad to hear you've signed on a good doula and best wishes for a beautiful birth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm starting to "think" about this stage so I was excited to see the title of your post. It's a great one with great comments too!
    Thanks for sharing - and please let us know how your next meeting with her goes. (and your birth plan if that's okay)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's exactly the right attitude, Shan! I used a doula and loved it and really surprised myself by being able to do it naturally. But I went into it with the attitude that if I had to have pain meds or an epidural, it wasn't a failure, it wasn't a cop-out...it was what it was and my baby coming was going to be all that mattered.

    I interviewed 4 doulas, found one I liked and felt wouldn't push me to ONLY do a natural childbirth if I decided midway that's how I wanted it to go. But make sure your doula has a back-up. I went into labor 2 weeks early and had to use the backup for the first few hours of labor because my doula's son was being baptized that morning. I labored at home for about 18 hours but my doula was there at the hospital the whole time. We couldn't have done natural without her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually considered studying to be a doula after being a part of my friend's experience with a doula and natural childbirth. I think this is a great choice and it's wonderful to have someone else in your corner supporting you in addition to your OB, birth coach, and family.

    ReplyDelete