Zachary is 3 weeks old - almost 4 weeks - and is now officially in the fussy baby stage. I'm averaging 3-4 hours of sleep a night, though sometimes I'm managing to get a short nap in during the day, which is just enough to keep me going. Finn is adjusting to the idea that he is now having to share attention, and part of that adjusting is that he's definitely annoyed by Z's fussiness. But I can definitely see that once Z is more interactive, Finn is going love having him around.
I was thinking back to what Finn was like at this age, and can say that poor sleep and fussiness aside, Z is a much easier baby. I remember spending my 40th birthday with a baby who wouldn't stop crying, no matter what I did (Finn was 3 weeks old at the time) and I remember that continuing for weeks. Z does cry, but usually only when he's hungry during the day, and if I'm not holding him during his very fussy and wide awake period (which is usually from about 10pm to 1-3am). While I'm definitely frustrated by his refusal to sleep during that time, I'm not feeling overwhelmed and crazy with a constantly crying baby.
But I am sleep deprived and very short tempered. Finn has had a little bit of a cold the past few days too, and not sleeping well, so his fuse is short as well. I really hope that the sleep gets better soon, so we have some quality time together as a family before it's time for me to go back to work. I have taken a lot of your comments to heart from one of my previous posts, and have spent a lot more time just holding Z and hanging out with Finn this week, and less time working on getting my house organized. All that can wait until I have a little more energy.
And now, the pictures (a day early, as I have a lot going on tomorrow and don't want to forget)...again more phone pictures than I'd hoped for, but sometimes the best picture happens when all I have is my phone.
 |
| 2/26/14: Serious boy |
 |
| 2/27/14: sweet hands |
 |
| 2/28/14: late night selfie - finally asleep! |
 |
| 3/1/14: "He likes me, Mommy!" |
 |
| 3/2/14: I love how Finn absent-mindedly reached down to pat Zachary's leg when he started to get fussy |
.JPG) |
| 3/3/14: I love this sweet face |
.JPG) |
| 3/4/14: big brother Finn trying to keep Z happy again - there's a nice mix of brotherly concern and annoyance on his face |
I'm glad Zachary is an easier baby. I'm worried I'd get a harder one the second time, and really lose my mind! (part of my hesitation for TTC #2) Anyway, LOVE the pics, especially of the 2 boys together. They're both so adorable, and I can see the brotherly love developing already!
ReplyDeleteWe're destined to have a more difficult baby this go around, but who knows, I suppose. We had the most low-key and chill baby the first time. I find the sibling relationship very captivating though and I hope we can cultivate a good sibling bond without forcing it. We have age and gender going against us. I think your boys will become fast friends in a couple of years. It looks like they're well on their way.
ReplyDeleteI hope some of the sleep issues get better so you enjoy your leave with your boys. It has to be a change for Finn; I am glad he is bonding with Z. :-)
ReplyDeleteGlad you're trying to take in the moments in the midst of the lack of sleep & crankiness. Your house will definitely get organized eventually...Z will only be small this once. It must be entralling watching the relationship develop between Z & Finn. Precious.
ReplyDeleteAdorable! Z reminds me so much of D when he was that age. Same cheeks, similar personalities. D was the best and easiest baby ever...rarely cried and always so chill. Once Z gets past this fussy stage, hopefully he will be how D was. I love seeing the brotherly love and interaction. Oh, and lucky you...more help is the on the way as I type this! :D
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of spending time with Z and F rather than getting your house organized - it's a much better use of your energy! Let your minions do the organizing when we get there. :D
ReplyDeleteI love the photos. It seems to me that baby Z looks just like Finn. Hope you start getting more sleep soon.
ReplyDeleteLooking good! Fingers crossed for more sleep for mama!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing - I see a lot of Finn in Zachary, in those first couple of pics in particular. They are both so lovely!
ReplyDeleteprecious photos of the brothers starting to bond already!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete