Wednesday, March 19, 2014

365 - Week 5

 My little Zachary seems to be waking up more every day.  This week he smiled at me as I was talking to him, and has since smiled at Jennie and at Finn.  Oh, when he smiled at Finn it was a magical moment.  Finn just adores Zachary (except when he's being noisy early in the morning), and was leaning over Zachary's chair talking to him - and Zachary grinned up at him.  "Mommy, he's smiling at me!  He loves me!  He loves me!"

Sleep has been pretty variable around here; I did get one 3 hour stretch of sleep Sunday night, but it was followed by an awake and restless baby from 3-5am.  I'm really looking forward to some sort of predictable schedule from this little guy, but he's clearly not ready for it, yet.

I'm glad others of you commented on my post last week with your agreement of disliking the newborn period.  I feel a little guilty not liking it, but I really don't, and it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.  Every stage of development has its bad parts, I know, but with the newborn stage, the good just isn't great enough to outweigh all the hard/bad/rough stuff.  I frequently think of something my friend Carrie said to me once about the early weeks with a baby, "At this age, there's very little return on your investment."  So true!  With his smiles, I feel the tide is beginning to turn, and I'll soon have an interactive baby on my hands.

I did manage to get some good pictures with my camera this week and also a few last minute shots taken late at night.  You may notice that Zachary seems to be looking a LOT bigger...we noticed it, too.  So we weighed him this weekend.  He's currently clocking in at 13.8 pounds.  No idea how long he is, but he's definitely longer, too.  He still spits up so much that I was worried about him getting adequate nutrition, but I guess I can stop worrying about that now!

3/12/14: bathtime!
3/13/14: sleeping boy

3/14/14: brothers
bonus 3/14/14 - this one is being framed 
3/15/14: serious face
3/16/14: asleep in the new (borrowed) swing
3/17/14: happy boy just before bedtime
3/18/14: sleeping while Finn hammers away in the background (both still in their pjs)

Bonus 3/18/14 - not great pictures, but worth keeping - Z smiling at F for the first time (I wasn't fast enough to turn on the overhead light or get the best shots but at least I got a few)




21 comments:

  1. They are so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG he is getting big! Isn't it once they double their birth weight they are supposed to sleep a little better at night? Hopefully the newborn craziness is almost over :). In retrospect it seems like an idyllic time but I remember during it constantly crying and texting my husband awful things - it is definitely a hard time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First 5 weeks with E were no fun at all! I always wondered if it was due to me not having a clue what I was doing & wondered if things would be different with a second child. It's comforting to know that, no it's just those first 5 weeks are HARD!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, love! 6 weeks was when I started getting a good routine down. It was all chaos before then. I expect the same this time though I don't catch much of a break. I actually don't really love kids until the 3 months stage. I feel like the only human who isn't really into nursing or feeding time. It's my most frustrating time to just sit there and do nothing even now I get impatient watching 6yo slowly eat and she feeds herself and clears the table. Probably why I'm a bad nurser. The baby can totally tell I'm jumpy. Still, there is that moment as a newborn when you just step back and think, "I did that." I love those (far and few between) quiet moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so fun to see how the relationship between the two boys is growing from one week to the next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's a cutie Shannon! Looks a lot like Finn to me :)

    I think the newborn period can be even less fun for kid #2 because you KNOW the good developmental stuff that's coming...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very cute....thanks for sharing! I am probably the exception here but I really enjoyed the newborn phase. It was not as bad as I had expected, but I had help so maybe that is why. But it only gets better as you know. I love how excited Finn got when Z smiled at him "he loves me" - how adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At 8 months sleep is not getting any more predictable on this end. Hope yours is better. My favourite picture is where Finn is slightly blurry and sharp Zachary is not facing the camera. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these pictures! So darn cute. I love Finn's reaction to baby brother's smile! I think there's a reason why the newborn days are so fleeting (which, I know, doesn't feel that way when you're the one living it!) -- they are TOUGH. A friend came to visit during the newborn weeks with my older daughter. She looked at me and said, "It's hard, isn't it? It will get better." I burst into tears! Just having someone acknowledge that made me feel so much better. Hoping Zachary will fall into a schedule soon so you can get more rest. His next stages will be so much fun. What handsome boys you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend of mine and mom of four told me that baby smiles appear just when you are about to totally lose it. She was spot on!

    I love that picture of the two of them that you're framing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos! And great growing, Zachary! I think Calliope didn't hit 14 pounds until 6 months!

    I enjoyed the newborn days for the most part, once I figured out that I was letting her get overtired and started putting her to bed earlier... but when she started smiling and interacting more, it was miraculous... I had no idea it could be so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Zachary is getting BIG, and these photos are just too cute! The brotherly love just melts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So late for this, but Congratulations on another adorable baby boy!
    What a great idea for pictures every day :)
    The 3/13 picture of Zachary reminds me of the one of Finn when he was 6 days old. Oh those cheeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love. Just love.

    And in the one on 3/15 I think Zachary looks a lot like Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pics. I especially like the ones of the boys together. Zachary looks quite a bit like Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Five weeks already!!!! Gosh, he's cute! I remember thinking if I could just get to six weeks, life will be good (and a bit easier). If you go by my theory, things should be smooth sailing soon, but it looks like you've got a great thing going already.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Co-sleeping is a great way to de-stress at night. Babies and mum sleep better, IMO. More sleep makes the world seem a much brighter place. Lovely kids btw

    ReplyDelete
  19. Week 5 already? I love the brother shots, too cute! My boys had the same tub :)

    ReplyDelete