About a month ago, he was in the tub, and suddenly started saying "Poop! Poop!" I asked him if he had to poop, and he said yes. I was so surprised that he was telling me he needed to go, that I asked if he wanted to get out of the tub to sit on the potty. And again, he said yes. Before then, I hadn't given a thought to potty training yet. I do always show him his poop in his diaper, and he "helps" me flush it down the toilet, but aside from that, we haven't been doing anything.
He sat on the toilet, me holding on to him, and passed some gas. He then was done, and went back to the bathtub. I took that as a sign that it was time to move towards potty training, and got out the potty seat that a forward thinking friend gave me at my shower. When bathtime was over, I showed him the new potty seat - and he was instantly interested.
![]() |
| I like this seat! |
![]() |
| Does this seat make my tummy look big? |
![]() |
| He's reading Julie James, "About that Night" |
He's done that every night since. Over and over. It's cute, and I'm glad he's showing an interest, but we've now had to move preparing for bedtime up 45 minutes to make time for this routine. Mostly it's been pee, but last night there was poop again.
He hasn't done this at all with Nanny M, and hadn't shown any interest in not peeing or pooping in his diaper, either. Until today when we were driving he started crying in the back seat, saying and signing "Poop!" I asked him if he had to poop and he said yes. I told him it was ok to poop in his diaper, and he stopped crying. But he didn't poop. I wonder if he would have asked to use the potty if we'd been home?
As I wasn't really planning on potty training just yet, I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd love to offer him the potty multiple times a day, but if each time ends up being 30-45 minutes of off and on the potty, I'd rather change his diapers until he's 3!
Any suggestions?
********************
8dpIUI - I'm testing on Thursday, at 12dpIUI. I haven't the slightest idea if I'm pregnant or not.
I hate the two week wait.
















It's great that he is showing interest. I should start thinking about this too. BB has peed as he has got in the bath(!) every day for a week or so now, so I have started to think he might have some control over what is happening. Perhaps I should think about buying a potty or 2 for our house too.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about it being easier to change nappies though!
I absolutely LOVE the photo of Finn with the book!
Some of my child development friends say that once the child starts showing consistent interest in the potty, it's time to train. Supposedly there is some kind of window when it is easier. Of course that is all hear-say. I have no real experience.
ReplyDeleteLove the picture of him with the book! The novelty of it might wear off after a little time and maybe he won't be so eager to spend half an hour on the potty.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the fact that he's showing interest is a great sign. Go with it! I've heard that it's easier before they are truly in the terrible twos/threes. If he's doing it with nanny M, the novelty will soon wear off.
ReplyDeleteBabycenter has a description of a three day bootcamp method. You may know that from my oversharing on my blog! Anyway, check it out. You could also read Diaper Free Before Three for ideas.
But I say, let him spend some time diaper free and see how it goes!
Exciting!
I don't have advice for your current predicament of 45 minute potty sessions. But when you think he's ready to try underwear, get him the really thick training kind and make a big deal out of being a big boy, and that he only gets to wear the underwear if all his pee and poo go in the potty. The incentive to wear underwear worked really great with Fiona, though she was almost 2.5 yrs.
ReplyDeleteSR just told me yesterday she wanted to sit on the potty as her feet hit the tub and she made a pee in the potty. It really is exciting. But Finn seems to be even more beyond that. Since he's home with Nanny, I'd try to remove the diapers (and any rugs on the floor) and put him in training pants. That's what I hope to do during the March Break - or if I have a weekend coming up when we're just hanging out at home. I've been thinking of you....these 8 days have really gone slowly. Thinking sticky thoughts for you.
ReplyDeleteWow, this is so exciting! Way to go Finn, you are getting to be such a big boy! Keep going with it if you can, it can take a long time before he goes immediately. I tried the 3 day and failed miserably, instead I waited for my son to be ready and followed his lead the whole way. It worked for us this way.
ReplyDeleteNice job Finn!! It is wonderful that he recognizes that he needs/wants to go potty.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the POAS!!
This is awesome! What a big boy! I can't believe he's doing so well with it, all on his own. Good on you for taking his cues so well, Mama!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome he's showing interest all on his own! It must be biological that people want to read on the toilet! I don't know a single kid that hasn't!!
ReplyDeleteKeeping fingers & toes crossed for you for Thursday :)
Laura had early interest - she was between 18-20 months. She always enjoyed using the big toilet though we had a baby one, too. She used it for a week and then not again for almost 9 months. Good job on the poop. Laura wouldn't poop in the potty. She'd hold it in forever. We had such anxiety over it. We used a lot of ridiculous encouragement in the beginning. At 3, when we had the poop issue, we had a sticker chart. After 10 stickers (which was like 3 months), she got a big prize for being completely potty trained. By then, it was her birthday anyway. Even now, the sticker chart is pretty good motivation.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your wait!
That's awesome! My boys were very reluctant to train. Sounds like you the opposite situation--Good for Finn!
ReplyDeleteI have nothing to add here, except that J&M use the sticker method too. Of course, A still isn't potty-trained (I got a text picture last week of her standing sadly in the Disney Princess big-girl panties I gave her. The text said, "Sorry I poo'ed in your big girl panties HiHi") In my admittedly novice mind, I wonder if you don't embrace the window now, you'll be wishing you had in another year when you'll have *two* babies in diapers. (Go POAS!)
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome!! My boys got chocolate chips or m&m's as rewards for going on the potty, sounds like he doesn't even need those!!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you these final days of your 2ww. Hate two week waits!!!
Go Finn! That is so awesome! Good luck. My kid is 3+ and has zero interest in the potty, so be careful what you wish for. ;)
ReplyDeleteSending you lots of BFP dust for tomorrow morning!!
No suggestions, but very cool for him to bring it up all on his own :)
ReplyDelete