Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sleep

We've had over a month of fairly easy bedtimes.  Most nights, Finn has fallen asleep within 10 minutes of sitting down in the glider, and he's been staying asleep.  There have been many nights that he's slept the entire night in his crib, and when he does wake up and want to come to bed with me, it's not been until 3-4 in the morning.  I've been really happy with this routine.  I really enjoy the cuddle time, and how easy it is to get him to sleep.

Until this week.  Poor baby has another bad cold, and he's fighting sleep.  Most nights it's taken 40+ minutes of rocking for him to fall asleep, and then he's waking up as early as 10pm.  Those early nights have come with lots of crying, and have required a lot of rocking to calm him down.  One night he just wouldn't fall back to sleep for over two hours.  Then when he does fall asleep, he's been waking up multiple times a night, crying.  Sometimes it's just for a minute, but there's been a few nights of more rocking back to sleep at 1am.  I am exhausted.

Then today was a stressful day at work, and Finn was grumpy when I got home.  He would be fine and happy one minute, and the next he'd be crying and screaming.  Typical tired toddler behavior, I think, and also exhausting.  We read fewer stories at bedtime than usual, but otherwise did our usual bedtime routine, and he seemed ready to sleep.  But when we started rocking, he would not fall asleep.  After 40 minutes, I was tired and ready to be done.  I finally told him that he was just going to have to go in his crib - I gently set him down and he immediately stood up and started crying, "Rock, rock! Mommy, rock!"  I tried to soothe him, but it didn't work.  He got more and more worked up, and I could tell he was going to be crying for at least another 30 minutes.  I didn't want to be inconsistent and pick him up again, but the thought of another 30 minutes of him not sleeping, and this time crying and fussing was too much for me in my exhausted state.  And so I sat down on the floor and cried.  Serious, deep sobbing. Poor Finn.  He looked at me and yelled, "MOMMY!" and then he really started crying - wailing - like I've never heard him cry.  He was in so much distress that I had to pick him up.  He leaned back in my arms, still crying, and touched my face.  "Mommy." And then he put his arms around me, put his head on my shoulder and we both cried.

Once we sat back down in the glider, he calmed down.  He looked up at me again, touched my hair and said, "Mommy crying. Mommy sad." Then he closed his eyes and went to sleep.

19 comments:

  1. Oh, Shannon. What a sweet boy. This made me teary. And I totally hear you about the tiredness. Every time Violet's sleep gets situated, we travel... and everything goes to hell. I can't get more than three hours of sleep in a row these days, and that's on a good night. I just keep reminding myself how precious this time is. (Sometimes that helps... sometimes not so much.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. That sounds miserable, I'm sorry. I know that desperate feeling of sleep deprivation so well.

    Do you have any plans to try to stop the rocking to sleep? This just sounds exhausting -- and if you're hoping to be pregnant soon, and then have a newborn. Whew. It sounds like Finn is very reliant on being rocked to sleep, so I imagine it wouldn't be an easy transition. Of course, when they are sick we just end of sleep deprived no matter what. These are the times I really want a partner to help lighten the load.

    Hang in there, I hope Finn is feeling better soon and you both can catch up on your much needed Zzzs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This breaks my heart, Shannon. I could cry for you right this second.

    I walked out on Matthew last Saturday before a nap as he cried, because I had an appointment and he would not settle down for me. He was standing in his crib, wailing, and reaching for me. I cried the entire drive to my appointment as B tried to calm me down via text ("he's asleep now, it's OK, you did what you had to do."). AWFUL.

    I would have sobbed on his floor too.

    What a sweet boy you have though! Don't you love when he wraps his arms around your neck? That just softens my heart into one big ball of mush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so sorry. I recently had several nights of "I'm sick so I'm going to wake up every few hours and scream because I can't breathe." It's exhausting. I hope you both start getting better sleep soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how awful...& precious. I'm right there with you, we've had many a similar night. I wish my experience could garner some advice or wisdom...but no, all I can offer is support & commiseration. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you are going through this. Having a sick child is the worst. I've been there too with the crying. Finn seems very empathetic and sweet. Hope things get easier soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, nights like this can be so tough. I had a good cry in front of Chloe earlier this week while she ate dinner. Just got a bit overwhelmed and you could tell she was wondering what was wrong. Hope the release of tears made you both feel a little better. Sure sounds like it worked for Finn by knocking him out so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No words of wisdom, just HUGS to you and Finn. I hope he feels better soon and you get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cried as I read this...I feel for you and Finn is just a sweetheart. I say this all the time, but I am amazed at how you do the SMC thing. You are one of the strongest, awesomest women and moms I know! But I also know you're only human and we all have our breakdown moments. I just wish I lived closer so I could come over and help at times like this. Sending you love and hugs. This too shall pass!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your boy is amazingly sweet! I hope both of you get some solid rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, that's sweet that he comforted you.

    I agree with Claire that this pattern sounds like it might be hard to continue.... but of course, that's a big parenting decision and one that you probably don't want feedback on!

    If you do... well, Calliope goes to sleep on her own. She loves her crib and basically never cries when she is put there. Rarely, she cries out after I put her down. If it's more than a minute, I go back in, pick her up, sing our good night song again, and put her down again. Then she goes right to sleep. Same thing with wake-ups during the night.

    But, I did do CIO when she was little. It's probably a lot harder when they are older. Now she doesn't know any different than to fall asleep on her own, and is happy to do so. Sometimes she actually reaches for the crib before I am done singing to her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry Shannon - after i posted my comment last night I thought to myself "duh, of course I'm sure she's thought about breaking Finn of the rocking habit at some point" And I recall a post of yours saying you enjoyed rocking him. So I'm sorry, i should know better. What I really meant is that I think it's ok if our needs as moms (as human beings with only so much energy) sometimes get at least near-equal weight to our kids. Sometimes we just CANNOT do it all. You just need a break and I sure wish I could help give you one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We've all been there, I've done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet boy! Hope tonight's bedtime was easier.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet boy. Sorry he's so miserable and sorry you're having such a rough time of it. You're doing an amazing job though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Shannon, this post is SO timely for me. I cried today, also out of sleep deprivation. Jordyn also has a cold, and has also been doing just about the exact same thing as Finn, in terms of sleep. I also rock her to sleep, and I'd personally love to break her of that habit, but I just absolutely can not bring myself to do CIO. I've been thinking about it, though, and may break eventually... Lately she just won't sleep in her crib, or stay asleep in her crib. It's maddening. I'm SO sorry to hear you're having similar issues, and I hope things get better soon. I feel for you, I really do. As everyone has said, hang in there... I'm trying to do the same. Hopefully it helps knowing you're not alone - it does help me, not that I'm happy you're having the same issue! Hope Finn feels better soon, and that you get to catch up on some sleep. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Shannon this made me cry. I had the exact same experience with Ri last month. He was not doing well with naps and had started to stiffen up when rocking him to sleep at night and pushing away his bottle. If I put him in his crib he would scream and cry the really "I am upset cry" only thing that worked was walking around his room with him and I was ehausted after a week of it. One night it got to me when again he would stiffen up and start screaming. I broke down sobbing, big ugly sobs. Ri doesnt talk yet but he stopped crying and reached his hand up to my face. That did me in. We sat on the floor together for awhile and he went to sleep a few minutes later as well. Happy to say that only lasted for a few weeks and he is happy to cuddle and goes to bed with no problems now. I hope poor Finn is feeling better. We are just getting over colds here too. I know its miserable.
    Oneforlis

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me crying there with the two of you! Sorry you're having such a hard time, but so sweet of him!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my :( It sounds like babies and toddlers on quite a few blogs are having sleep issues right now. Besides colds, they are probably as sick and tired of winter blahs as we are :(

    ReplyDelete