Friday, January 25, 2013

Better Night

On our ice walk
We were hit with an icy mix of sleet and freezing rain today, and I made the executive decision to close the office at noon, as most of our patients had already called to cancel as it was.  I got home (after the obligatory stop at the grocery store) while Finn was napping, and seriously considered taking a nap, too.  I probably should have, but instead worked industriously to get some paperwork done before he woke up.

We had a lovely afternoon, and even ventured outside to walk on the ice covered grass (the sidewalks were too slippery) for a few minutes.  And I dreaded bedtime the entire time.  But luckily it was a much better night. He fought it for a bit, but was sound asleep within 15 minutes.

Several of you asked about what I was going to do with our sleep issues long term.  I need to preface that answer with a little summary of how we got here.  He has always been a difficult sleeper (and it's possible that I've always been a pushover).  I will never forget one of those first nights in the hospital when I was so exhausted that I let the nursery keep him so I could sleep.  The nurse came in with a crying baby hours before I expected her, "I'm so sorry, but we've tried everything and he just won't stop crying." As soon as Finn heard my voice he stopped crying, and immediately fell asleep the second I picked him up.  He refused to sleep in the bedside cosleeper, for weeks only sleeping if he was being held.  As he got older, I tried to put him down before he was completely asleep, but all that accomplished was another 20-30 minutes of holding and/or rocking before he would stay asleep.  I tried a modified version of cry it out, and he beat me down and outcried my ability to outlast him.  This past summer, I walked him to sleep every night, and loved it.  He slept and I got in a workout.  But when the weather turned colder, and it got dark really early, that stopped.  And I struggled with putting him down in the crib, and dealing with him crying and fussing.  Bedtime was an hour or more of pure misery.  I knew rocking him to sleep would work, but I didn't want to do that for fear of ruining him for life.

And then I read the The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers. In it, she says that if the routine of rocking your child to sleep (or staying with them in their room until they fall asleep) doesn't bother you, then there's no need to change it.  I suddenly felt free of guilt, and was able to rock him to sleep with minimal fuss most nights.  I love the cuddle time, and it's easy.  Usually.

I'm pretty sure that last night's cry-fest was brought on by more than just his refusal to sleep. I really am exhausted.  I had a very hard time falling asleep during my two week wait and got horrible sleep (this despite the fact that Finn was sleeping from 8pm to 7am or later every night in his crib). Then I got my BFN and was trying to decide what my next step would be, and could barely sleep those nights, either.  I was finally getting back on track with my sleep when Finn got sick and his sleep went to hell.  So I think I've averaged about 5-6 hours of sleep a night for the past month.  That (plus all that the past month has brought with it) has left me a little emotionally fragile.  All your supportive comments to my post yesterday were just what I needed, and are much appreciated!

But to get back to the sleep plan - I've already instituted one change, and that involves me getting ready for bed when Finn does.  I brushed my teeth when he did, he washed his face while I washed my face, and we both got our pjs on together.  That should make it easier for me to go upstairs and get straight into bed, instead of messing around for 30 minutes once I finally turn off the computer and go upstairs.  And it made our nighttime routine fun and easy, since Finn loves doing what I do.

Once I'm safely pregnant, I'll be turning the guest bedroom into Finn's room, and plan on having him start sleeping in there (in a big boy bed) well before the baby arrives.  So as my belly gets bigger, we'll stop rocking to sleep and start with me sitting by him in his bed as he falls asleep (which also works well now, if we're out of town and don't have a rocker). The author of the No Cry Sleep Solution has a chapter that will walk me through gradually transitioning Finn from needing me by his side, to being able to fall asleep without me in the room.  And by the time I'm that pregnant, he should be old enough to be able to handle the change.

In the meantime, I really hope the horrible nights are over for awhile.  I'm going to take advantage of the sleeping baby while I can, and go to sleep now, even though it's not even 10pm yet.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm SO glad tonight was better! And I'm also happy to hear you have a plan. I may need to get some details from you at some point! I have the No Cry book for naps, but not for nighttime sleep, because Jordyn was SO GOOD at sleeping through the night for so long. I do hope she goes back to that once her cold is gone! I've been thinking about a post about our sleep issues, but that's for another day, as I'm also off to try to catch some zzzzzs before she wakes up and won't go back to sleep for an hour and 45 minutes, like last night... ugh! Adorable picture, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a bit of sleep to put things in perspective. And you and Finn will work this out - I'm happy you've found something that works for you. I let Rhian cry it out and it was easy for both of us. We just had a few rough nights. But I have friends that just does not work for. And yes, he is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding staying with your baby till he sleeps...Isn't that the best feeling in the world? The "wait...I'm NOT doing it wrong? I can do it the easy way? The way that feels natural and right?" That's the one thing I learned really fast with kids...books and magazines want you to think it's hard...thats how they sell their books. But a mother's instincts and so seldom wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you got a long, long night of sleep last night. That's a really cute little boy in his panda hat - I can see why the nighttime cuddle brings you so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always try to get ready for bed with my baby - she falls asleep with me - and if I can help it i don't get up before her either! There's nothing better than a good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finn's sleep patterns sound a lot like J's! And different kids really are different; if a sleep "solution" seems like it couldn't possibly work, it might just not be right for your kid. I always liked the books that said to just let go of your expectations, and if it's not bothering you, don't worry. Although I tried for a long time to get J to sleep more independently, when I was pregnant I realized how worried I was that we'd have to give up our nighttime routine. I love cuddling with him, and especially as he gets bigger I'm grateful we still have it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for good sleep for you and easy sleep routines for both of you!!!! It's SO hard to be sleep-deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay, I'm so glad that you've had a better night AND that you have plans to go to bed earlier every night! i was worried that maybe my last comment sounded like i was saying you should do CIO, and that it wasn't supportive... i'm glad that wasn't the case. we all have to do what we feel is best for our kids. sounds like you are on the right path with your sleep book! and hopefully you will be pregnant soon and have no insomnia issues -- i slept like crazy when I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a big part in giving me that guilt free feeling about our sleep routine & thank you for that. Glad you had a much better night & here's to many more...for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great plan you've got in your back pocket! Glad you were able to get some sleep as well :)

    ReplyDelete