Thursday, January 17, 2013

300

This is my 300th post.  Three hundred.  I looked back on my very first post from May 2010, written right after my miscarriage.  I was heartbroken, but still hopeful.  I could have never imagined what the next 299 posts would hold, or even that I would stick with this blog long enough to get to post #300!  By May 2011, I was finally mom to my beautiful little boy.  By May 2012, I was mom to a one year old cancer survivor.  Hopefully by May 2013 I'll be preparing for the transfer of an embryo created from a donor egg and the donor sperm (from Finn's donor).

I thought I knew what the future had in store for me.  I was wrong.

Aren't we always?


*****************

I had my phone consult with Dr. S at RBA in Atlanta today.  I've decided not to do a DE cycle with my clinic because the wait can be up to a year, there are less donors to choose from, and (since it's a fresh cycle) I'd have to sync my cycle up to someone else's.  RBA has an excellent reputation and uses frozen donor eggs.  That means I can pick a week that works for me, and (as long as my lining cooperates) I can be fairly confident that my transfer will happen during that time.  

My consult today was much sooner than I anticipated, but he had a cancellation right during my lunch break, so I had to take it.  We talked about my past history for a bit, and reviewed the labs and tests I've already had done.  He then told me about the program - how they choose and screen their donors and then how the entire cycle process works.  He cracked me up when he talked about my "drive by embryo transfer."  But it really is just that - my RE's office will be doing all the monitoring, I'll just go to Atlanta in time for a possible Day 3 transfer (though it will likely be a Day 5). 

We talked about meds I'd take to prepare my lining. He told me that they'd had some trouble recently with oral Estrace (turns out about 20% of branded Estrace on the market is actually generic from overseas...which totally explains some of the weird labs I've had with my male to female transgender patients lately) and so they prefer IM or transdermal estrogen.  I've decided to go with IM to save money. But when he gave me the option of IM progesterone vs Crinone?  I went with Crinone, as much as I hate it. I just don't want to do the IM progesterone.  It's worth the goop and the extra cost of Crinone to avoid it.  

We kept getting off tangent, and so I forgot to ask him a couple of questions.  The first was about endometrial scratch biopsies. My RE doesn't do them routinely, his nurse told me they didn't think they were beneficial, but they would do it if Dr. S asked for it.  But, she said, they're incredibly painful, "So if you have a choice, don't do it." Which is not what I've heard elsewhere.  I know the benefit of a scratch biopsy at this point is a matter of opinion, but what most people say is that it's no big deal.  I wonder if that's also a matter of opinion, or if it's because there's an endometrial "scratch" and then there's an endometrial "scratch biopsy" - maybe they are two different procedures? And I forgot to ask.  

So it looks like I have all my precycle screening done except for the psych consult.  As soon as I get that done and get the report to their office, I'll be able to get access to the donor bank, and choose my donor. 

A week ago I was mourning the BFN with my last IUI.  And today I'm talking about choosing an egg donor. 

I wonder what the next 300 posts will bring?

14 comments:

  1. 300, Wow! & Funny how I was your 1st comment back on that post & now again this time...at least as I type this!!

    Very hopeful new about DE...amazing how no matter how hard we try we can never really know what the future holds!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on #300! The 'scratch' is the same thing as an endometrial biopsy except they are not sending the scratch/sample for biopsy... they are just roughing up your lining to help it's response/ability to accept the embryo. A good % of my CCRM friends have successfully done the scratch prior to transfer. I have had 2 endo biopsy's and it's more uncomfortable than painful. And it's very brief. Good luck on your plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Shannon. I guess I'd wonder why you'd consider the biopsy if there's absolutely no evidence that you have an implantation problem...

    FWIW, I did a combo of oral and vaginal estrogen...worked great.

    I'm glad things are lining up nicely for you. Monitoring for a DE cycle should not be much different than that for an injectable IUI (actually I think I needed LESS monitoring on the DE cycle!)...just a couple lining and hormone level checks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! 300 Congrats...I think I started my blog like a month after you and I only have just over 100 posts...where do you find the time.

    Good luck on your upcoming DE cycle...I had a scratch biopsy and it didn't hurt at all...maybe they didn't do mine right...who knows!

    But since you don't have an issue with implantation, I don't think it would matter one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the DE train is moving along for you. After I did 2 IUIs, 2 fresh IVFs, and 1 FET that all ended in BFNs, I got my RE to do a scratch biopsy after giving him information showing that Dr S in Atlanta does them. He called Dr S and then agreed to do one on me as a "test case." It didn't hurt, but for a few seconds and then low and behold, the next IVF I got pregnant. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended with a blighted ovum. After the pathology showed a very rare "normal" embryo, I switched REs to one who would treat my immune issues because the original one refused to put me on intralipids. The new RE also agreed to do the scratch biopsy, even though it wasn't their normal course of treatment. This time it hurt like hell, but was better within a half hour and now I'm pregnant with twins. So, I fully endorse the scratch biopsy and I have no diagnosed "implantation issues." Best of luck.
    "Irish" from FT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate your posts on donor eggs. It's the path I'm on too, hopefully in June with Donor Egg Bank USA, which is the group my clinic partners with. Between now and then I am focusing on losing 15 pounds, continuing to save $, and getting the psych consult done. I'm in a very comfortable spot with my choice to use DE, so now it's all excitement and planning! Thank you for letting me follow your journey. It's inspiring. --nlk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing just about the same thing - weight loss, saving money and cycling around the same time, too. :) Fingers crossed for both of us!

      Delete
  7. Wow... 300 posts! I'd love to blog more than I do, but I just can't figure out when to do it - there's not enough time in a day! Congrats on a big milestone!

    Glad things are moving along with your plans to use DE to conceive. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on 300. I'm glad I found your blog because now I'll be able to follow along on the next 300. Were you apprehensive on your first post? I remember wondering 'what business do I have writing a blog'. I'm so glad I got over that.

    That's interesting about oral Estrace. I wonder if it contributed to my lining issues. As much as the PIO freaked me out, after so many cycles of that I'm finding it not that big a deal (and a little more convenient that suppositories although I do have to be home to do it).

    I did feel a little detached from my treatment doing donor eggs. I didn't get to know the nurses and I felt like I didn't belong at the clinic.

    Hmmm. Pain from the biopsies. I've heard it can be uncomfortable but I wasn't too worried because I figured it wouldn't really take that long and 10 years from now I won't remember that anyway. I don't think it being painful is a reason not to have it done (not for me anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do the biopsy. I've had three and all three transfers I got pregnant. It doesn't hurt. It's 30 seconds of discomfort. Actually, I find the speculum hurts me more than the biopsy. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 300th post! You've been through a lot in that time. I'm excited for you about moving forward on your DE cycle. I totally understand your preference for Crinone (Endometrium is supposedly less messy). I, too, have heard there are positive impacts of doing an endometrial biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is one of my favorite things about blogs - the ability they give you to look back and see how far you have come, even if you aren't exactly where you would have wanted to be. Congratulations on 300, and good luck with pursuing donor eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hoo, 300. I'm not surprised at all that you stuck to it. That's you. Anyway, my big question is....donor party? :D Love you both.

    ReplyDelete