Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The State of the Finnegan

Life with a 14 month old (almost 15 months!) is never, ever boring.  Since Finn was born, I've been looking forward to him being between the ages of 3-5, those are my favorites ages.  But I never anticipated how much fun this age would be.  He's doing something new every day, and has the best sense of humor.  Today I started laughing while we were driving, and he started laughing too, even though he had no idea what I was laughing at.

While he's suddenly become very attached to me and Nanny M, he's also become incredibly social as long as one of us is holding him, or is nearby.  He's especially social with kids; when we're out, he waves at them all like they're his long lost friends.  He plays shy with adults, but then will suddenly give a huge grin or blow a complete stranger a kiss, and melts hearts everywhere.

He also waves at planes (while covered in dirt)

Blows kisses to birds

Gets kisses from dogs (that's Cletus - Nanny M's dog)

Tries to get dogs attention by signing "dog" whenever one walks by

Asks for cheese at the grocery store - as soon as we walk in the door he's asking for cheese, he knows where they keep the free samples! (He also furiously signs "cheese, cheese please" when we walk down the cheese aisle, or whenever the word cheese is said - it's the Food that Shall Not Be Named in our house)


He currently can say 15 words: hi, bye, mama, kitty, dog, nahnah (Nanny M), cheese, bird, tree, boo! (I think that counts as a word, he loves to say it, and uses it appropriately), more, snack, hat, ball, please.  He knows the signs for a lot of those words, and will usually sign and say the word at the same time, which makes it much easier to understand what he's saying.  He also knows the sign for book, eat, and melon, and we're working on the signs for outside, berry and thank you.

Each day is a new adventure with my little boy - it all passes so fast, I think I'm going to try to do one of these posts every few months, just so I can remember these little snapshots of what life is like right now.

19 comments:

  1. oh my gosh he is CUTE!!!! He gives me baby fever :) What a fun age

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that he blows kisses. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a little smarty-pants with all those (spoken and signed) words! They do grow and learn so amazingly fast at this age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow -- Finn is cute and smart! I just love seeing his photos. It always brings a big smile to my face. I love the whole "cheese" thing -- too funny. And that is great that he can sign all this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finn sounds like so much fun! And what a clever little guy...& so handsome! I love these type of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those first 2 pics! (actually all of them!) My boys wave to airplanes and blow kisses too. So fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finn is cute *and* a genius. :D. You might find your favorite age changes....maybe. My favorite age for D was 18-ish months, but C was 3-4 years.

    SL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I especially love the one of his waving to the airplane! Calliope loves to wave at people/objects also... sometimes it's a mystery exactly what she is waving at.

    That is an impressive list of words and signs for Finn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable. I love the covered-in-dirt picture. :)

    I share Finn's obsession with cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! He has gotten so big even though in seems in some ways like it was just last week you were pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If those people on the plane only new that such a sweetheart was waving at them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea, to document what's going on with Finn on your blog for posterity. I think I may have to copy that idea. :)

    He is SUCH a little cute! OMG is he going to break some hearts someday! Love the pics, and love all that he's up to these days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it. I need to do the same for my Finn!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's a terrific little boy! So glad you are enjoying all these moments!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting this time is and how crazy fast they learn things!
    I about died in adorable with his kisses to the birds and his love of cheese (mmmm!!!)
    Once again mama, he is too dang cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was like that with SR - her language took off with the signing. It's amazing seeing how they start to communicate - now she'll still sign please when she's feeling too lazy to say the word. And her newest sign is "thirsty" and she's say it and sign it together in a sing-song voice.

    Finn is adorable. He is so smart. I love the captions with the photos - especially the first one! I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like Finn is an amazing communicator! WOW! I regret not pushing the sign language more. Reading posts like this makes me realize that I could have been a great tool for Matthew if I had just stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A boy after my own heart - cheese is the best!! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  19. He has grown so much!! And how cute is he :-)
    Loved reading the update on Finn..

    ReplyDelete