Monday, July 23, 2012

Fertility Massage

Bee in my Garden
I had my first fertility massage tonight, with Tricia (also known as She of the Magic Hands). I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I ended up really liking it, even though it was very different from massages I've had in the past. We talked for about 5-10 minutes before we started. She asked about my headaches, we talked about my chronic hip and low back pain, then talked about my cycles and my fertility plans. Since I'm cycle day 18 today, she wanted to be sure there was no way I might be pregnant before starting. That's one benefit of doing this single, I don't have to worry about an "accidental" pregnancy!

 She started with me on my back, and rubbed castor oil on my stomach, then put a moist heating pack on top of the oil. She then did some cranial sacral holds, followed by some work on my head and neck, then my arms and legs. None if it was the deep tissue massage that I usually get, but the idea is to keep blood flow focused on the reproductive parts instead, so I just enjoyed the relaxation. That's when she went back to my abdomen. My stomach has felt very tender since Finn was born, especially my lower abdomen, so I was worried about how the massage would go, but it ended up really helping relieve a lot of the tenderness. She started off very lightly massaging my entire abdomen, and then worked on my hip bones - "the pelvic rim" and down into the psoas muscles. There were some very sore spots in there, it definitely wasn't comfortable, but I felt some relaxation of a few areas that have probably been in spasm since before Finn was conceived. She finished that up with some more lighter touches before having me turn over --- I'm pretty sure this is where I fell asleep. I hope I didn't snore.

 When I got up I could immediately tell a difference in how my hip and low back feel. And tonight I finally feel like my energy is concentrating in my pelvic area instead of on milk making. I don't have another acupuncture appointment for 5 weeks (I'm on the wait list), but I do have an appointment for another massage in about 3 weeks. I wish I had more free time during the day (and was independently wealthy) because I'd love to have another one of those massages next week.

 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds great (minus the discomfort). Love massages. When do you start treatments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you did this! I've been doing myofascial for a while, and she is regularly focusing on my belly in an attempt to loosen up scar tissue. It's always a bit uncomfortable, but I also always feel better after. I NEVER would have thought to have someone work on my stomach like that, but it absolutely helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds interesting and I'm glad that it helped. :-) The castor oil thing sounds similar to what my acupuncturist was saying about "warming the garden."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I wish I knew of a massage therapist in my city who does that.

    I might try the castor oil and heating pad myself. I've been told that I have a cold uterus. :S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing on the whole. I think it will help with the sensitive areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds so relaxing, glad you are finding time to pamper and take care of yourself. Just reading this post makes me want to get a massage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds Fab - glad you got to have it. I am often amazed by some of the "alternative" treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that sounds absolutely wonderful!!! Glad you are doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's time for me to have a fertility massage! I tried femoral massage a couple of years ago after reading your post on it, but it kind of freaked me out a little. I need to pull out my Circle & Bloom meditations and start back on my fertility diet etc. Are the precycle C&B good? I only have the IVF cycle one, maybe I should invest in the others?

    I'm now on a wait list in Sydney and I'm hoping some sperm will become available at the end of the year. I also discovered yesterday that the nationwide amalgamation of all the NZ fertility clinics has opened up donor samples and the wait has reduced from 3-4 years to (possibly) 3-6 months!! I spoke to my RE friend & she is going to try and back-date me on the waiting list given I should have been on it a year ago. So, maybe I'll get to stay at home to do my next cycle!! (This would be amazing given I live across the road from the clinic & wouldn't have to fly to & from Australia).

    They have finally had some advertising billboards for donors here & apparently it is working. The psychologist who screens the donors is one of my neighbours, and she mentioned there were some "very nice" young men coming through the clinic...if only I could ask her to pick out a donor for me! Damn those ethical ART laws ;-)

    I know what you mean about your housing situation in that previous post. I feel like that with my little house - it is not my dream home & was aways meant to be temporary (and the majority of my neighbours are in millionaire mansions. Although, they all have earthquake damage now so lots of the swimming pools are coming out!). However, I know it will be perfect for me as a single mum (if I ever get there) and in my case, the ChCh earthquakes will eventually give me a new house or a totally renovated one...when the insurance companies finally make up their minds about repair versus rebuild!

    Excuse the long comment - I'm too lazy to actually blog these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow the fertility massage sounds amazing. I didn't even know they existed. I'll have to research places in my area to see where I can get one. And I'm adding acupuncture to my list as well...now that grad school is over, I can begin my journey to motherhood.

    ReplyDelete