| 25lb boy, waiting at the oncologist's office |
It was another long day, as all MRI days seem to be. I slept horribly, thanks to the sense of dread I felt the entire night. Our day started at 5:30, when Finn woke up crying inconsolably for no clear reason. He finally calmed down, and seemed like he was going to fall back to sleep, so I cuddled in the bed with him until 6:30, when he suddenly woke up all the way and grinned at me. We had to leave at 7:15, so I had to get ready in record time, and was so proud of myself when we were pulling out of the driveway at 7:15 exactly.
This time we started with his abdominal ultrasound first, and he did not like it at all. I nursed him while he was getting his ultrasound the last time, but since they started with that today, he was still not allowed to eat or drink anything, so I had to entertain him with a sticker and singing, with variable success. We then waited for a while before we were taken back to meet with Dr. Y, the anesthesiologist, one we've had many times before, and who seemed genuinely happy to see Finn. (In fact, it was the same guy who said, "The baby with CANCER for the MRI?" back when Finn was first diagnosed.) I think it was another 30 minutes before it was finally time for Finn to get his MRI. Despite the fact that it was well past his breakfast time, Finn did great. He was a little fussy, but easily distracted and very cuddly. Usually one of the nurses takes Finn from me, but this time Dr. Y carried Finn out of the room - Finn waved at me as he was carried out, and then I saw him smile around his pacifier at one of the techs who was following them into the MRI room. That made me feel so much better, and amazingly I didn't cry.
He was in MRI for almost an hour and a half, but was again flirting with the nurses when I went back into recovery to get him. He had one single tear on his face from where he'd cried when they took his IV out, but waved to everyone when we left, and blew a kiss to his nurse, so it doesn't seem like it was that traumatic.
At the oncologist's office he had his blood count checked (which was all completely normal for the first time ever) and barely cried at all because he was busy being entertained by bubbles when the did the stick to get his blood. Dr. B came in a little while later and said that the ultrasound continued to be normal, but the MRI hadn't been read yet. I didn't get the results of that until I was almost at the office. This is the first time I haven't had time to call anyone immediately with the news, or time to update here. I talked to my sister, and texted a few friends and that was it. I definitely did not tell my mom that I'd gotten the results an hour or so before I talked to her.
I had a headache and felt nauseated most of the day - the headache is finally easing off, but I still feel pretty rough. This neuroblastoma diagnosis is like a dark cloud that's hanging over me, one I can ignore to some degree, but I never completely forget about it. Some days, it threatens to overwhelm me, especially when I hear about bad things happening to other children. The days before an MRI are always the worst, because I just can't ignore it, and all the fear I've ignored for the preceding few months kicks in and just about smothers me. I think that cloud lifts just a little after every MRI, but as Dr. B said today, I'm going to be scared before every single MRI. We aren't going to be free of this for another 6 years. Yep, his last MRI is scheduled for right after he turns 7. The oncology team is very optimistic, and says this is just to be on the safe side, but damn, it just sucks that we have to be doing this. I wonder what the first year of a child's life would be like, not having to face a cancer diagnosis. I really, really hope I get to find out sometime in the not too distant future with Baby #2.
I think that for his next MRI I'm going to take the entire day off. I might even have Nanny M come in the afternoon and treat myself to massage or something once the results are in. This going to work after a long, stressful morning thing is just stupid.












Oh, Shannon, I'm SO glad to hear that the tumor has shrunk!! That's awesome news! And I agree that next time you should take the whole day off, and even go get a massage or something. Fantastic idea!
ReplyDeleteGive Finn's adorable cheeks a little squeeze for me, ok?! :)
So glad, Shannon! What a cutie!
ReplyDeleteYay!! This is great news. Give Finn a big hug for me.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear the news. Finn is such a trooper, so is his Mom :-) You both deserve a big hug!
ReplyDeleteHope you get a good night's rest tonight, I can only imagine how disturbed you were last night.
Terrific news Shannon! You and Finn are so resilient. I am so glad his hospital experiences seem to be positive for him (other than the IV). I hope you can put your worry away for a while longer. He's doing great!
ReplyDeleteOur boy is a marvel! He is a charmer. Tumor is shrinking and yes, you will have repeat MRI's, but that is to make sure everything is good. My OF's son just had his last MRI last month from his tumor 10 years ago. He's doing great and so will Finn.
ReplyDeleteNext time definitely take some time to be pampered. You deserve it even when things are not so stressful- but MRI days really need a pick-me-up.
Glad he's doing great. I hope you both get more rest tonight. :-)
Hoooooray! I'm so happy at the wonderful news. And I agree with everyone that your idea to take the whole day off and get some post MRI stress relief pampering is a great one.
ReplyDeleteYour comment about #2 being healthy hits home with me! I thought the same thing expecting #2, that it would be such a relief to have a totally healthy child after Fiona's illness. I think that's why Carys' diagnosis hit me as hard as it did, considering, in the grand scheme, hearing loss is not the end of the world. It was just a huge sucker punch. I am SURE you are going to have better luck than me and get to enjoy focusing on all the normal, average trials and tribulations of a perfectly healthy babe this next go around.
Speaking of, have you decided on timing to start trying?!!
Hope you're getting a good night's rest tonight :-)
Awesome news. That's so close to not even being there and I hope that's what you find out next time.
ReplyDeleteThat's great news. Shannon you are an amazing woman, and an incredibly strong one at that. Not to mention an awesome mom. I hope you get a good night's rest. Oh and Finn is such a cutie.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the great news!
ReplyDeleteYay! That's wonderful news! I'm betting that the tumor will be completely gone by the time his next MRI rolls around. And what a great little patient Finn is. :)
ReplyDeleteYou two are amazing. A true inspiration for this mama-to-be. I was thinking of you both and hoping for good news while I was on the table today actually.
ReplyDeleteThat is great news! Awesome news! I can only imagine the worry & stress that hangs over you due to Finn's diagnosis. I am so glad the results today were so good & you can have a little peace of mind for a little while. What a year it's been for you & Finn
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad it went well. I can only imagine how stressful the process is and know I'd lose sleep before hand. I agree, you shouldn't have to worry about getting to work after going through this. Pamper yourself afterwards, it is from here on!
ReplyDeleteWhat a relief. I love how Finn is just so charming and easy going. I imagine my little one crying being taken out of my arms as she doesn't readily go to strangers. I am so glad the tumour has gotten smaller...did they tell you if it can disappear altogether?
ReplyDeleteSo happy and relieved to read a good report!!! I can't imagine the level of stress and anxiety, I can totally understand how you'd feel overwhelmed and horrible. xoxo, Emily
ReplyDeleteWonderful news Shannon! Leah will be thrilled to hear the news... As we all are. Yay Finn! Show that tumor who is boss!
ReplyDeleteMiss and Gabriel
Such good news! I'm sorry the MRIs are bring you such stress; they would for me too. I think it's a great idea to plan nurturing/pampering activities on that day in the future. I think what the oncology team said about this doing them "just to be on the safe side" is reassuring. Celebrating with you and Finn today!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you and Finn. He is such a strong fighter. Please give him an extra hug from me and his buddy Derek. You are an incredible mom. I think of you and Finn often since our boys are so close in age, and I just marvel at your strength. I know you feel blessed to have Finn, but he is equally blessed to have you as a mom. I hope you're feeling better and more rested today!
ReplyDeleteGreat news... I have been missing reading about you and Finn. He is so adorable and gotten so big!!! You are a great mom!
ReplyDeleteSuch great news! Glad to hear that Finn continues to be that strong, happy, cancer-butt-kicking fighter that he has always been!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful news! I am so happy to hear.
ReplyDeleteSuch wonderful news, Shannon! You really do have such an adorable little guy!!
ReplyDeleteSacha
What great news!!! I'm so glad the tumor is still shrinking and it sounds like Finn handled the appointment like a champ.
ReplyDeleteGreat news! Finn is lovely. So sweet to flirt with the staff during his doctor visit. You are an amazing mom.
ReplyDeleteWonderful news. I think often of Finn. It must be hard to live in the shadow of all that testing.
ReplyDelete(((Hugs))) You are a brave courageous person. Finn continues to be super adorable, of course!
Hooray! So happy for you both, Shannon. And how is it possible that a year has already passed?? I feel like it was yesterday I was stalking your blog, waiting for your baby boy to arrive :)
ReplyDeleteSuch great news!! Definitely get a massage after the next one, you deserve it!
ReplyDelete