Friday, May 18, 2012

Celebrate Good Times

Birthday Boy
Years ago, I attended the birthday party of a two year old whose mama went way overboard.  There were easily 60 people at this party, and the little girl (we'll call her A) had at least 30 presents to open.  I'll never forget the horror on her mom's face when, about 15 presents in, A decided she'd had enough and threw a fit when her mom wouldn't let me read her the book I'd given her.  "Great Shannon, your gift has stopped the entire party."  Two things struck me then.  First was the fact that if I'd had a little girl who was opening tons of toys, and yet it was the book she wanted to read, I'd be over the moon thrilled. The second was, what did this little two year old need such a huge party for?  The years passed, and every year her birthday was celebrated with another over the top celebration.  I can't help but wonder what a disappointment her future birthdays will be, when no one throws her a big party.  Even a few friends taking her out for a lovely dinner will seem like a let down.

At the other extreme are the people whose family have never made a big deal out of any occasion.  InBetween's post last week has the perfect example of what that can lead to - adults who don't think that celebrating special days with and for your loved ones is important.  Not taking the time to let do special things for your loved ones makes life pretty dull.  And can lead to some really hurt feelings.

With my family, I'd like to find a way to fall somewhere in between the two extremes.  I want to celebrate the special days in a way that teaches Finn that it's important to make a big deal out of these moments, and that it's possible to do that without a lot of expensive presents.  (Though a few presents can be a good thing!)  Not to mention that it'll be a lot of fun along the way, and create some good memories for us both.

So, Finn's birthday party was an epic failure as far as that whole "avoid over the extravaganza" plan goes.  There were 18 people there, a lot of presents and a professional photographer (we never got Finn's 6 month pictures taken, so my friend owed me a session).  It was a lot of fun, though.  The kids ran in and out of the house, playing hide and seek and tag, blowing bubbles and writing birthday messages for Finn with chalk on the driveway.  The adults drank beer, ate Mexican food and let the kids run wild.  It's not something I want to do every year, but as a first birthday party, it pretty much rocked.
Outdoor fun
This cake tasted much better than Finn's egg free, wheat free ickiness
Kids Wearing the Party Favors
Ollie's sad face (because he couldn't open presents, too)
Finn and Lillian
I've always wanted a party with balloons on the mailbox
We're not going to have a party like this every year.  And besides, I want Finn to learn to want to celebrate the special days for the ones he loves, too, not just his own special days.  Some things will be easy.  Like starting the tradition of the birthday flag.  Everyone (me, Finn, Nanny M, future sibling) will get the birthday flag flown for their birthday week.  When he's older, we'll even fly the birthday flag for other family and friends if he decides it's a good idea.


Other things will be harder - it seems a little weird to be the one to make my birthday or Mother's Day a big deal.  It would be easier with a husband to do these things, but without one, I'm not exactly sure what to do, aside from giving Nanny M some money to take Finn shopping and let him pick out a gift for me.

What traditions does your family have (or do you hope to have) that you love?  How are you celebrating the big days with your kids?  Oh, and what other days have you found to make a celebration out of that aren't the obvious?

16 comments:

  1. I really like your take on the celebrations of special days. It's important to me to teach Elena that celebrations don't always mean presents. I won't have big birthday parties every year, just the mile stone years. I do plan to mark her Conception Day every year, mostly because it falls near Fathers day so we'll have our own chance to celebrate. I also want to mark 1/2 year birthdays too but again, these won't include huge parties or presents, we'll just do something special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No traditions in my family that I can recall from growing up. We had my father, my brother and me all within a 2 week time period, so it was a challenge and now my SIL has the same birthday as my father. My youngest niece is about a month prior to that, so my brother has this absurd notion that when we all get together, "We're really just celebrating J's birthday". Uh.. no we are not. LOL So I tend to try and make my own big deal out of my own birthday or I figure no one else is going to. I'm sure I'm obnoxious about it, but I really don't care. It is soooo all about ME! LOL

    I do recall a friend once saying that for birthdays, his mother would always get up early and decorate the kitchen with streamers and balloons to celebrate whoever was celebrating. I think she did that at least all the way through high school and I know he secretly liked it. I thought that was a nice tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wrestling with the 'first birthday party' question for a few weeks - friends, or family? What about friends who are family? I want my friend who was in the delivery room to be there, but will other friends be touchy about inviting one and not others? Or would they happily not have to buy a gift and spend a few hours at a noisy to-do? Does Gabriel need more than his family to celebrate? Do I?

    Still completely undecided! Luckily I have 6 weeks still....

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that you were able to have a celebration at your own home, I bet that felt good - to have the space to entertain at home! It sounds like it was a nice 1st birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed the party. It does look like fun.

    It's such a fine line to walk- to celebrate the child but not spoil the child, to make the child feel loved without giving the child a complete sense of entitlement. I have no suggestions because my family was of the celebrate almost nothing belief. They still do not celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound like a fun party :-)
    I love the making of traditions. I decided last year (at Butterfly's first..) to have a tradition of giving her one small present to open in bed on the morning of her birthday.
    This year I'm planning on taking her out for a milkshake on her birthday, and three weeks earlier, on my birthday, to go sit in a restaurant together, just me and her :-). Maybe I'll make it a tradition..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Birthday Flag idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to Finn! I can't believe he's one already. I'm all for family rituals - we didn't really have these in my family growing up so I'm psyched to start some. Love the idea of the birthday flag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. His birthday cake made me choke up!

    I can't believe your dear, sweet Finn is one year old.

    Oh, that precious boy!

    Congratulations to you, wonderful Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love traditions, celebrating, stuff like that. I tend to go overboard but its fun and doesn't always mean getting and having.
    His birthday is a little less than two weeks before mine so I like us having a day together much like I want to keep doing the day before Mother's Day (cause I wouldn't be mom without him). Birthdays will be a little big since I love all the planning, celebrating him, more often than not I don't celebrate my own, and it marks another year with us as a team. I always remember the day I got pregnant so I'll tell him about it and how or the day I surprised my family by telling them he was coming which, like Tiara, falls near his half birthday. See? Overboard but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you're on the right track. We've had some great birthday parties for the boys but nothing over the top. But, regardless of the types of parties we have, my boys are not entitled b/c of the way my husband and I have raised them. Anyway, I've tried to have fun birthdays because most of the time our extended families are not around. Although, my sister in law has always had small family parties for her kids...which I've thought was kind of sad b/c her kids have never been allowed to have a party In which they've invited their friends. As for mothers day or your birthday, I think you should plan it like you want and always spend it together. Even when my husband has been out of town, always make sure the boys know what day is and that it's impt to know what I want to do. And we always spend special days together. We're not big on expensive gifts, but time together is impt. --
    --SL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your thoughts on this. We do a party only every other year for our boys. The one tradition I grew up with that I really enjoyed is being able to pick my birthday food--whatever meal I wanted for my birthday. I do the same for my kids and they think its great fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy (belated) Birthday Finn! I think his birthday party sounded perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh don't worry about missing out on the husband celebrations, they're not that good at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We didn't go overboard, but I think it's important to have at least a get-together. We had immediate family and very close friends for the first three birthdays. We only had my nephew for kids. There was a light lunch and small ice cream cake.

    For #4, we went big(ger). We had a community room and had the kids from her class. It was a Halloween party. We had a movie on in one room, crafts throughout, and a tent and random toys for all the kids to play with. FIL made 2 cakes.

    The thing with the presents is that we don't open them at the party. We open them throughout the weekend. She gets to open them as she wants and can stop and play with them at any time. Sometimes, if people asked, she'd open at the party, but there wasn't the pressure to do so.

    I like the built in theme of Halloween. It keeps it gender neutral and there are tons of crafts and activities to occupy the kids. Plus, I can reuse all my plastic serving dishes and decorations. Ha.

    You have the right idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that Finn is just a little older than BB - you give me lots of great ideas. The Birthday Flag, or something similar with the same significance is a great one!

    I have similar thoughts. We have been to several parties so far, some very extravagant. They generally consist of too many people and too much noise with too much bad food that makes babies sick and then party bags full of cheap tat. I sound so ungrateful don't I!

    I have started to see why my parents made the choices they did in so many areas! [eats humble pie]

    For his first birthday we are thinking family only. A small affair where he can be the centre of attention in a non overwhelming way. We are also doing something special with the 4 other babies that were in his ante-natal group who we still see regularly.

    As he gets bigger he may have more of a 'proper' party, but not massive. And I actually really the loved the birthday celebrations I has when I got older, essentially me and 2 or 3 friends went somewhere fun as a birthday trip...

    I am pleased Finn's Birthday was fun for you all.

    ReplyDelete