Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Amazing Goodness of Children

A few of you might remember Miss - she is a SMC who blogged for a short period of time while TTC (and is now the mom to a beautiful little boy!), and someone who I've corresponded with since our miscarriages in 2010.  Not long ago she sent me the most wonderful email, one that I have to share here.  I've been saving this story for my 200th blog post - and then almost forgot to even mention that this is my 200th blog post!  Ok, back to the story...

Miss is the aunt to some amazing children.  And by amazing, I mean A.MA.ZING.   Shortly after the earthquake in Haiti, her nephew Eric was watching a special about it, and asked his mom if they could send some money to help the children in Haiti.  When she said yes, he then asked if it would be alright if he asked for money for his birthday to donate to Haiti.  She thought he meant asking for money from the family, but what he meant was asking for donations from his friends instead of presents at his birthday party.  That started a tradition amongst the children in the family, with his sisters following in his footsteps.

This year Leah wasn't sure what she wanted her cause to be for her 7th birthday.  And then she heard Miss telling her mom about Finn and his cancer diagnosis, and decided she wanted to raise money to help Finn and children like him.  She sent out invitations for her birthday party with a note about Baby Finn and his fight against neuroblastoma, and asked for donations to benefit Alex's Lemonade Stand, an organization that not only funds cancer research, it also helps families with children who have cancer.

Here's what Miss said about the party:
The kids had a great time, and there was lots of applause after the cards were opened. The parents were also very interested in what Leah was doing, and many took the time to read the small info sheet we had set out and to comment on how blessed it made them feel - not only to have healthy children, but to be able to help others. One little girl has asked her Mom if she can pick a cause for her next birthday, and help someone else instead of getting gifts. Her Mom was very pleased to hear that :) Another little girl excitedly told her parents that with "so much money raised, Baby Finn will be all better in no time now!" It was sweet. 
Isn't she beautiful - inside and out!

For her 7th birthday Leah raised $465 for Alex's Lemonade Stand.  An amazing total, but even more amazing is the fact that she did this instead of asking for presents for her 7th birthday.  I honestly couldn't imagine anything good coming out of Finn's diagnosis, but Leah (and her siblings) generosity proved me wrong.

I'm going to make sure that Finn grows up knowing about Leah and her birthday party and I hope he learns to have the same giving spirit that she does.

Oh, in case you were wondering what's the latest with Finn's neuroblastoma, his next MRI is this Friday.  I'm hoping for nothing but more good news to share on Friday afternoon!

14 comments:

  1. Amazing kids. They must come from amazing parents too. Good luck on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful. I got a funny look the other night when I mentioned to my dad that I liked the idea of my future child/ren collecting gifts to donate at their birthday parties (rather than gifts for themselves). This is even better because they get to choose a worthy cause. I am so glad that some silver lining has come with Finn's cancer. Good luck at the MRI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's amazing!

    She looks almost exactly like my co-worker's daughter which is kind of funny.

    Good luck on Friday! I'll be thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric and Leah really are amazing children, and it's so wonderful that their friends are being influenced in such a positive way by them.

    I'm sending you and Finn lots of good thoughts for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, that's totally amazing and something I would love to do with my kids. Wow. I wish these were things that just occurred to me but since they don't, I'm so glad that you're here to show me families who do! :)

    Big day Friday, I've got hopes for nothing but a clean and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me cry. How very sweet, thank you for sharing! Good luck with the next MRI - hope it goes smoothly and continues to bring wonderful, healthy news!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome! Hoping for the best on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome. What wonderful caring generous kids!
    Thanks for letting us know about Finn's next MRI. Just yesterday I was thinking when his next check-up would be. Hoping and praying for continued good news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the very proud Mom of Eric, Leah and Katy (who gave to the SPCA for her 5th bday) . I can't tell you how touched Leah was to have me read this entry to her-and how happy we all are to hear how well Finn is doing. My ELK herd and I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally crying at my desk right now.

    What an amazing kid and amazing tradition to have started. Something terrible that happened to you is teaching children something very powerful and beautiful. For a kid to give up her birthday presents...

    Wow.

    I am humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tears! That is so inspiring & exactly the qualities I want to teach Elena. So admirable for a 7 year old to be so selfless. Bless her & her parents!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a fantastic kid - and family - to have chosen a cause over gifts for her birthday. I'm amazed, and humbled. What a great tradition! And Alex's Lemonade Stand is such a worthy cause (not that others aren't!!).

    Best of luck with the MRI. I'm sure it will show NED!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup, crying over here too. :) So, so beautiful. This post made my day. :) Lots of positive thoughts to you and Finn tomorrow!!! I'll be checking in for the update!

    ReplyDelete