Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ramblings of a Crazy Pregnant Woman

Thank you for all the lovely comments on my last post – my photographer rocks, doesn’t she? 

For the past few days I’ve felt really good.  My back pain has changed to a more manageable discomfort, my energy has increased, I’ve had to pee a million times more than I usually do, and I’ve felt more pressure and stretching in my va-jay-jay.  Chiquitito doesn't look like he dropped, but I’m not carrying quite as high as I was, so I think things are moving and preparing in there. 

For years I’ve looked at women in their ninth month of pregnancy and wondered what they were thinking and feeling as they approached delivery.  And now that I’m in my ninth month, I realize it’s not just one feeling or thought – it’s a huge jumble of anxiety, anticipation, and hope and fear.  The countdown in my mind is always tempered by the thought that he might be early, or he might be late.  And all the changes I’m feeling right now have really amplified that realization that I am not in control here.  I can’t set the date, I can’t arrange things to ensure that everyone I want to be there will be there, I can’t even control if I go into labor at home, like I want, or at work, which I really don’t want. 

Labor and delivery is such a mystery to me, even after seeing a lot of deliveries in my medical training, and then being present at my sister’s two deliveries.  I wonder if I’ll be one of those women who is able to allow my body to accept labor as it comes, and work the contractions to deliver my boy with strength and joy, or if I’ll be one of those who swears and cries and screams and begs for an epidural.   Oh, I really hope I’ll be the former, but I’m so afraid I’ll be the latter! 

I think I need to focus on each day, instead of what might come tomorrow, or I might not make it to May with my sanity intact! 

So today I’m going to be happy for another day of feeling good, and not going to worry that it means I’m about to go into labor, like one of my elderly patients suggested today.  I’m going to wear the same clothes over and over again, because I’m down to 2 pairs of pants, five shirts, one skirt and two dresses I can wear, and just be proud I’m still wearing heels every day.  I’m going to embrace the multiple visits to the bathroom, and try not to grumble too much at my doctor’s office on Friday when they hand me yet another cup to pee in.  (Though seriously, there has to be an easier way for a woman with a huge belly to give a clean catch urine specimen!  It’s hard enough to use the wipes to clean with when you can’t see what you’re wiping, but then to have to get the pee into that little cup, when you can’t see the pee or the cup, and can barely get the cup down there in the first place?  Why isn’t there a government study to find a better way to do this?)

But most of all, I'm going to savor these days and weeks of being pregnant.  This might be the only time I'm ever lucky enough to experience this miracle.

16 comments:

  1. I think a study on how to pee in a cup (or shave/trim) as a pregnant woman would be considered a non-essential government position... but then again, maybe not!

    Congrats on your 9th month!!! I'm really excited for what's to come for you and Chiquitito!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to leave a comment on your last post, but I kept having problems. I think in my last month with J, all I thought about was how uncomfortable I was and how on earth somebody so big was going to come out of me! So you sound like you're doing great. I'm so excited for you! Heels, though?? Why do that to yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You photographer does rock - but more importantly you looked Hot hot hot!
    Peeing in a cup - not the easiest task even when your not pregnant. I suppose it all depends on the cup - and how willing it is to be filled.
    Hope you get to continue enjoying every last bit of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ninth month. Its definitely a mystery. You may look back like I did and marvel at the fact that none it could have been planned the way it turned out. Its all so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been quietly following your blog for several weeks now and I just wanted you to know that I've really enjoyed reading about your journey. I can't believe you're only 25 days away (give or take) from meeting your little man! I'm so very happy for you. :)


    P.S. Your pregnancy photos really are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember at this stage of pregnancy with Fiona thinking how weird it was that she could be born tomorrow, or 6 weeks from now. Turns out she came a week early which was JUST perfect! I hope Chiquitito is right about on time. Take advantage of these last few weeks to rest and pamper yourself whenever you can. And revel in the thought that you are about to meet the love of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any woman who can pee in a cup in the last weeks of pg without peeing all over their hand is quite talented. As for labor, I wasn't like either of your scenarios. I never progressed far enough to push out my daughter, and I wasn't screaming for the epidural either. Probably about 18 hours after my water broke, and still at 1/5 cm, 50% effaced (never got past that, despite pitocin), I was going over the consent forms with the anesthesiologist when I decided the contractions were hurting more, and said, "Let's do it now." IMO, epidurals rock!

    BTW, the pictures are wonderful. You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was pretty lucky all around. I could paint my toenails to the very end (it wasn't pretty, but I could do it easily). I also did go into labor at home though I had symptoms out the night before, but they didn't even keep me awake. I mostly just had back pain which I attributed to being gigantic and then the contractions came fast and quickly after 8 hours of back pain and whining. :) It's so unusual because it's such a blur. You'd think a person would remember everything, but so much happens and at the end, you see the teeny baby and that's all you see and remember. Oh except the ride home. The only horrible discomfort and pain I remember is my ride home and all the speed bumps.

    Good luck and I'm thinking of you during this exciting, life-changing time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the next 25 days... you are doing great. Just visualize your first meeting with Chiquito.. I bet there will be lots of tears and smiles. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just enjoy the ride. I can't wait to hear all your mommy adventures. I love to read your updates and see how happy you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shannon,

    I hope you won't feel bad if you ASK for an epidural... you said you wouldn't on my blog, but this makes me worry. There's no winning or losing in labor... as long as you get a healthy baby and healthy mama.

    And I can't fathom how you are wearing heels!!! I can't really stand them on my best, non-pregnant day! And now, with the foot pain i get if i stand around even in running shoes... wow!

    So good to hear that you are enjoying this last month of pregnancy! That is a victory right there. I hope i can remember to do that!

    As for dificulties in peeing in a cup... this is new to me! But I suppose this means that shaving your bikini line gets pretty hard, too? I'm already struggling with this a little, and wondering how people manage...

    All the best to you and eagerly looking forward to news!

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the pee cup made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shannon,

    First off I'm so excited you're in the home stretch!! I so loved being pregnant, and I hope you're really savoring these last few weeks.

    I was struck like Abby about your comment that you 'fear' you'll ask for an epidural like you see it as all or nothing. It truly does not matter how this baby gets here as long as he's safe and healthy. Looking back on how I planned and planned and worried I would be whiny or strong or whatever... it so doesn't matter. Tate is here and there's no difference between him born via emergency c-section and my friend's baby born in a birthing pool. They are all loved. Enjoy bringing new life into the world however your body chooses. It's an amazing beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, the peeing in a cup thing never occurred to me. Too funny!

    I'm with Abby and Jennifer - having an epidural isn't a failure, nor does it imply weakness. It's just another way to have a baby; and he's all that matters. You've overcome so many obstacles and limitations to get to this wonderful place of excitement and count-downs - it's hard to read that you've given yourself another limitation. And especially one that doesn't need to be there. Think about letting this one go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, that peeing into a cup at the end of pregnancy... I would hold the cup down under and hope I don't miss, lol.
    And one month! You're nearly there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah hah! So the million dollar invention is a pregnancy pee catcher. I'll have to get on that ;)
    Do try to take it and enjoy it one day at a time (though I would not be so good at that ;) )

    ReplyDelete