Sunday, April 3, 2011

Maternity Pictures

A couple of years ago, I decided I needed to try to branch out a little from my usual landscape/travel photography and try something different, so I took a photography class on lighting.  It was way out of my comfort zone (photographically speaking) but I did learn a lot, and had a lot of fun while doing so.  But best of all, I met Cassandra, a classmate who always had amazing images to share every week.  I kept in touch with her via Facebook, and was so excited when she started her own photography business – BlueSky Studios - not long after the class was over.  I’ve followed her blog, admired her work, and knew that I really wanted her to be the one to take pictures of me and Chiquitito once he’s born.

I always thought I’d want to do some maternity pictures, too, and so I contacted her a few months ago to see if she’d be willing to take some pictures of pregnant me.  We agreed on a date, and met at the end of February, when I was just about 31 weeks.  (I can’t believe I’m just now posting these.  I’m such a slacker.)

I’d gone back and forth about whether I wanted to do pictures later, when my bump was bigger, but I’m so glad I went ahead and did them then.  I didn’t feel too unwieldy trying to get around, and I really like how my belly looks in the pictures. Now I’m much bigger, and much more uncomfortable – I just don’t think I would have had as much fun if I’d done them now.

Yes, I said fun! I never mind having my picture taken in casual settings, but the idea of a professional photo session brings back horrible memories of being in my aunt’s wedding in the 7th grade, and failing miserably at producing anything but an uncomfortable grimace whenever I was told to smile.  Working with Cassandra was so enjoyable.  I felt completely at ease, and had no problem smiling on demand – and I ended up being very happy with both the pictures, and how I look in them. 

And now, without further ado – here’s a little sampling of her work – and my belly.   I can’t wait to see her again for Chiquitio’s first session sometime next month! 

We took a series of silhouettes in my apartment - this wasn't my favorite, but I had to include it, because Vagus just had to get into at least one of the shots!

I've always wanted an engagement or wedding photo shoot with a city skyline in the background.  Since there's no wedding in sight for me, I decided a baby bump was the perfect excuse for some city shots!

I just love this one!

I just realized that I wore some killer heels in these pictures, and you can't see them - well, you'll just have to take my word for it!  (Not that I could walk well in them - but at least my feet looked good!)

26 comments:

  1. You look amazing! I love the photo of you and Vagus. An early family portrait. Mommy, baby and furbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You look GREAT! Love the photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you got some good photos - but these are Amazing. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic! You look so great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. What a great idea to remember this time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing shots and you are really rockin that bump mama! I love reflection pics - so the last one is my favorite too! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot mama!! Seriously, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fantastic and so happy! The sky line was a great idea too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are just great!! My maternity pics are still my most fave pics ever!! You look wonderful!! Enjoy these precious last few weeks of pregnancy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Shannon, you look RADIANT! Pregnancy agrees with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! I wish I would have taken a photo or two when I had my bump. Instead all I have is a very scary looking paper mache belly bump which is just bizarre! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you look so amazing in these pictures! I absolutely love the last photo. She captured a look that exudes happiness and confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those photos! Espcially the one with Vagus in your flat!
    And you look real great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These turned out incredible Shannon! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are sooo beautiful! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic! I love that Vagus is in the shot. That's one of the first things I noticed. Siblings should be included in the journey, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. AWESSOME pictures!!! I love them and you look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are so gorgeous!!!
    I know I want to do some in the future ;) And with yours--totally HAVE to do them :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, I love that you posted these. -You look amazing and I can not wait to continue to document your beautiful journey to mommyhood.

    ReplyDelete