Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Trip to the NICU

Early this morning, around 2am, I got a call from LB’s husband; LB’s water had broken just a little while earlier, and they were at the hospital, prepping for an emergency c-section. LB was 34 weeks pregnant, just started her high-risk monitoring two weeks ago, and had already had an overnight stay at the hospital this week for low amniotic fluid and non-reassuring heart sounds. LB was really hoping that she’d be able to hold out at least another week or so, but her little girl had other plans, and decided, quite forcibly, that it was time for her to be born!

Despite the drama surrounding her delivery, this was the best c-section LB has had yet (last time the spinal didn’t work, and she pretty much felt the entire thing – thank goodness a different anesthesiologist was on call last night!) and she’s doing well. Little Lillian is just 4 pounds, 2 ounces, and looks like a little elf. While she’s having trouble regulating her temperature, she’s already breastfeeding like a champ. She’ll probably have to stay in the NICU for two weeks, but we’re really hopeful this will be an uneventful stay and she’ll be home very soon.

I got to hold her for a few minutes, and as soon as I had her in my arms, partially resting on my bump, Chiquitito started kicking me. Hard. Right where Lillian was resting. I wonder, is it too early for him to be feeling jealousy?

As I held Lillian, I couldn’t help but remember how upset I was when I first learned that LB was pregnant. I’ve felt guilty for that a lot the past few months, especially since this has been such a hard pregnancy for LB. But holding that sweet little girl, I could barely even remember how horrible I felt when I first had learned of her existence. It seems like a lifetime ago. I hope that I would be able to still feel that same joy, love and wonder when holding her if I weren’t pregnant right now; but I am so very thankful that I did not find myself in that situation today. I’m not sure that joy even begins to describe how I felt when holding Lillian while feeling Chiquitito kick inside me. It was definitely one of those moments I’ll treasure for the rest of my life.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Lillian is doing well & congratulations to LB.

    I think it's adorable that Chiquitito was reacting to you holding Lillian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some day when Chiquitito and Lillian are fighting, you can look back at this moment as starting it all. :-) Glad you and Chiquitito are doing well and hope things go smoothly for Lillian in the NICU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lillian's beautiful and big!!! Of course, this is coming from a NICU nurse who sees lots of little ones :)

    Love that Chiquitito reacted so "strongly" to you holding her. And I'm so happy you were able to experience such a wonderful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* that picture--perfection!
    Oh, I'm sure he just wanted to play with her ;)
    I hope her time in the NICU is as uneventful as it can be and that she and mommy are doing well at home soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is just perfect!! And you are going to be there so so soon friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw. My nephew was 5 lbs and born at 35 weeks. He spent a week in the NICU, but my SIL had some distress and couldn't see him for 3 days so it was a rough time for her. He's still underweight but doing amazingly well. I was born around the same time and weighed 4 lb 7 oz. Tiny babies are strong. Come out fighting. :) Congrats to the new family! And look at that beautiful hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful memory you will have of holding her for the first time with your babe kicking. Gave ME tears in my eyes reading it. She is a beautiful baby!!

    ReplyDelete