After eons of delays, everything finally ready to get started! I met with the contractor, project manager, his assistant and the electrician today. I think I’m in love. They are such a great group of guys – joking around with each other (and later with me), patient with my very slow building manager and still able to be all business when needed. In less than an hour we’d decided on where the door to the nursery was going to be, how long the chain for my chandelier needs to be, that recessed lights in the kitchen would definitely look better and cost less than I thought, how high the window in the wall needs to be and what time they’re showing up on Thursday to start work. There was a bunch of other stuff in there, too, but most of it was over my head. I liked that they still included me in the conversation and treated me with respect - which is sometimes hard for men who wear tool belts to do.
Tomorrow I’m ordering my new lighting, and then my work will be done until they’re done, which will hopefully be right before Christmas. I am so exhausted after the craziness of the past few weeks – I’m really looking forward to a chance to laze around and do nothing this weekend.
In completely unrelated news, I have adopted two siblings for Christmas this year through the Angel Tree run by our local police department and radio station. I chose the two children I did because all the 6 year old boy asked for was clothes and underwear, and the 4 year old girl asked for clothes, shoes and a baby doll. Of course, I have to buy the boy something more than just clothes. Remember when you were 6? How awful would a Christmas be with just clothes as presents? I guess if you were in desperate need of new clothes, you would be grateful to get them, even at 6, but I feel like I need to get him something more. Trouble is, I have no idea what the cool things are for 6 year olds these days. Any suggestions?













Just making the decisions for my remodel was exhausting but a total load off. Exciting times. Hard when you don't know anything about the child but a lot of the boys in my class are into little remote control cars or a little electronic game. Most of them like wrestling and racing. Sounds like they would be happy with just about anything.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting! It's moving so fast... but I'm sure you are more than ready to start getting the nursery put together... which you should be able to do over the holidays... if you have time off.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder about the Angel Tree. I want to adopt a child for the holiday as well. I'll go to the radio stations website now.
Wow, that is great that things are moving along nicely.. can't wait to see a picture of your nursey. I always sponsor a family in my clinic every year.. last year the kids in this family asked for a nice meal. Apparently, they always eat frozen and/or canned food at home.
ReplyDeleteShannon - sponsoring children over the holiday is a beautiful thing to do.. thanks for inspiring me (and I'm sure others!). It's so exciting that things for the renovation are moving along so fast. Its good that you trust the guys doing it - I always watch all those HGTV shows and panic about stuff like that. All these beautiful trees are making me jealous...
ReplyDeleteGlad the remodel is full steam ahead!
ReplyDeleteMy nephews are 5 & 7 & love Pokemon, Bakugon & Star Wars: The Clone Wars & they love their Nintendo DS' plus they love building with lego...Not sure whether your little guy would have the same interests...
Cars, lego and remote controlled things are pretty good bets.
ReplyDeleteI was going to say - make it a gift where they can constantly use their imagination to make it different! Legos are awesome, along with other building type of materials. You are a sweetie!
ReplyDeleteI also wanted you to know that I've nominated you for the "Cherry on Top" blog award.
ReplyDeleteHow great you're getting started!
ReplyDeleteAnd how lovely of you to adopt those two kids for Christmas :-).
Hi Shannon, I emailed you with a question.. hope it's okay..
ReplyDeleteThank you for making wishes come true for two children this Christmas. Our work place adopts two large families and then raises money and does a candy cane tree. I put in money and then did some shopping for grocery/home items trying to choose things that I would buy for myself/like instead of just what's the cheapest. It did make me feel good. I think I'm going to do a better job saving next year and put aside some money for adopting a family of two next year (a parent and child).
ReplyDeleteHave fun buying the gifts!
I can't wait to see the nursery when it's done!! I hope the renovation goes well and is indeed done by Christmas! :)
ReplyDeleteHow nice of you to adopt those children. Since I have a boy who is (almost) six, I could write a whole list of what he is into. This is the age where they really have so many interests, it's amazing. The electronic bugs are all the rage right now, and G has really gotten into the Ben 10 alien maker toys. The aliens come apart and can be put together in all sorts of combinations. Legos have already been mentioned but are a great idea.