Well, after that, I figured if everyone was going to find out anyway, I might as well be the one who told them. It was a thing of joy, telling everyone the good news, especially those who didn’t know I was trying. Everyone was so happy for me, and it felt wonderful to be so supported.
And then I learned that I’d had a missed miscarriage. It’s amazing how quickly good news travels, and yet how slowly bad news does. I had to tell people the bad news over and over and over. Just a few weeks ago I had someone ask me how my pregnancy was going – while I was taking medications before IUI #4. (It just so happens that the person I just had to tell was the person who’d sent me that text back in April to tell me congratulations. Really.)
I have to admit, despite the huge drawback of having to tell the bad news repeatedly, there was a benefit to having so many people know. It was nice to know that so many people were sad for me. Nice, but not worth the pain of the repeated telling.
And so I’m doing things differently this time. I even played with the idea of telling no one at all. But the support of my close friends when things went wrong was something I couldn’t have survived without. Knowing how sad they were, and that some of them had already imagined being aunties, really helped. It was comforting, knowing my baby had been real to someone besides me.
I think and I hope that everything will be okay with this pregnancy, but I’m not brave enough to test my faith completely. And so I told my close friends and I told my sister. But I didn’t tell my parents, I haven’t told my coworkers and I definitely haven’t told the friend I told the first time who told everyone else.
It’s weird, walking around with a secret. I kinda like it.













What a sweet little secret it is. I think it's good that you told your little group so you have support for this pregnancy. I can understand not telling co-workers, I can only imagine what will happen at my gossip/rumor mill work place.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your little secret :)
It is so odd that you're talking about this. Just today I was wishing that every single person in my life didn't know about those embies on ice and my blog. Not because I don't want their support, but because it broke my heart even more to have everyone hurting with me. I just don't want everyone to know this time around. I don't want everyone in my life let down if I am too.
ReplyDeleteBut I kind of feel like I have no choice either. They all know they're there, and they will all know what I'm doing if I leave for Seattle... it's inevitable.
Just have to hope that this time there is good news to share and not bad!
I know people who do not announce their pregnancy until they reach the 2nd trimester. I think people will understand why you are not telling them. I know that this pregnancy will be perfectly fine for you.. you only deserve the best.
ReplyDeleteNothing like the joy of telling this particular secret to close friends, as I recently found out myself. Work is tricky, you never really know who you can trust and there are so many people there. Enjoy your secret! and revealing it as time goes by.
ReplyDeleteI've already found out that my little support network at work can be very close-mouthed. Amazingly my TTC project has been a secret for over a year now. So it's nice to know that WHEN it happens I will have some people supporting me while also respecting my privacy. I hope that you can find a few good people like that also. You and the baby are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteKeeping some secrets can be a good thing. I understand having to fight that desire to tell - I know it will be hard for me when I have good news to share. And I will tell close friends (and of course, my blog friends). But work has always been off limits - they don't know I'm TTC (old job or new job) and they wont know I'm preggers until safely through the first trimester. I'm still so excited about your fabulous beta numbers!!!
ReplyDeleteIts a good decision. Other than my mom, 6 other people IRL knew about my last pregnancy. One text and they knew the hideous news and it was DONE.
ReplyDeleteAND- keeping such a delicious secret can be fun in itself, I definitely enjoyed it the last time. With the next one, I think I'll try to hold off (at least with the boss and people at work) till the 5 month mark.
I agree totally...in the midst of my loss & grief, I hated having to tell everyone...I appreciated the support but it was so hard to have to keep talking about it...I waited awhile beofre spilling the beans this time & some people still don't know...you'll tell in your time.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have many opportunities in life to keep such a lovely secret. Enjoy it, and imagine what it will be like when you're ready to share. All the joy and hope and - even better - the wonderful security when you tell exactly *how* far along you are!
ReplyDelete