And every single year the birthday or holiday comes around again, and I’m still thinking, “Maybe next year.”
Despite this, my birthday wasn’t bad. I had lots of cards, good presents, three cakes (two cookie, one traditional chocolate with white buttercream icing – my favorite!), and dinner with my girlfriends. I did indulge in a glass of wine, which was a bad idea, since it made me feel a little nauseated and weepy, even though it tasted lovely. But, the food and company were good, and the slow service made the night last longer, so I had more time with my friends who made me laugh more than I have in weeks.
Earlier this week, I told my office manager that I was dreading my birthday, that it was going to be a bad one. She responded, “No, it’ll be a good one. You’re saying goodbye to a year with bad things, and welcoming in a new year full of only wonderful things.” I know I have that optimism in me somewhere, I just need to find it.












I'm right behind you, turning 39 in Aug. Glad you had a nice one. Hopefully 39 will bring both of us good, sweet things.
ReplyDeleteHappy, happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday, Shannon! Yes, birthdays are usually not fun anymore but it sounds like yours turned out better than expected.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love your office manager's advice---it's so true. The fact you're relaying to us what she said ... you may have found your optimism.
Happy Birthday! 39 will be your year...wishing all your dreams come true.
ReplyDeleteIt's so hard when the birthdays keep coming and you still aren't where you want to be. Your boss is right though; this is a new year and maybe you will get everything you've been dreaming of! Wouldn't that just be so incredible?!?
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteAnd like your manager said - I'm sure this will be a wonderful year where your dream comes true.
I like your office manager's thinking, and I like that people around you are optimistic. Here's to your 39th year.
ReplyDeleteHappy (belated) Birthday! Sounds like it was a great evening of laughter and friends... and 3 cakes. :)
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of welcoming in a new year with new hopes and good things. Hoping it will be a wonderful year for you all around.
That's wonderful what your office manager said. She's quite insightful. I hope you are able to find that positive energy within you.
ReplyDelete